• 4 months later...
  • Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Imagine being this excited for Bodysnatchers   

Imagine thinking “Hail to the _____” was a Radiohead original turn of phrase.

being young is not an excuse. There are (or were) plenty of young at easers. The difference is that at ease was founded at a time when bootlegs, b-sides, and tour info where not readily available anyw

Posted Images

On 5/21/2020 at 4:53 AM, Belisha Beacon said:

I know nothing about this Toronto incident beyond maybe seeing the thread when the OKC minidiscs stuff was leaking and sorry for the late response. But anyway I feel like a post in defence of COR might be due.

He visited the board a lot around the time of HTTT (his username was "blackstar"). I had no doubt he was a keen Radiohead fan, I met him with a few boarders after a show in London in 2003 and his affection for the music was clear...he was enjoying playing songs that Radiohead had only recently webcasted for example, it was far from knocking out the hits for a few dollars. Anyway on the board people asked him a lot about his versions of songs around that time and there was a fair proportion of people who were interested to discuss the music with him, as well as a proportion who were determined to wind him up and call him a con artist - he even seemed to deal with them with a degree of patience. So I think to say he was "a dick to everyone" is unfair at least in that period.

Caveat - things seemed to have soured by TKOL - in a post that several people later said was douchey,  after someone asked if he was still working on Radiohead, he referred to the album as "The King of Lames" and said true fans should check out his version of Magpie....as he seemed to be so unimpressed with TKOL version. Attacking the band's newest output and simultaneous self promotion was a questionable tactic.

I had no idea that he was Blackstar.  Would have been fun to be aware of that.  Things I appreciate:he’s the closest you’ll hear to Bill Evans playing rh.  And his true love waits conveyed some decent arrangement ideas.  

the most amazing thing about the threesome rumor is not the event but how the fuck that got around so fast.  I’m telling you , fuck this sex at dawn trend. Everybody always talks it up but all I ever hear are headaches, hurt feelings, embarrassing violations of privacy and sordid bedroom politics and ego, ego ego all covered over with bullshit about personal growth.  Which is fine but I’m over this idea that millennials figured out that jealousy is some patriarchal myth to be brushed away through the practice of being a horny irresponsible bastard.

Last vent semi related:  Thoms been rich and famous for too long now.  Don’t listen to him when it comes to world affairs, politics or lifestyle.  He’s in a bubble.  He no longer gets it.  Angry frightened Thom in his early thirties sounds way more reasonable to me than this Polyamorous thommino guy. 

I grew up around fame.  Been around fame my whole life. Worked around it. Dated it. Even made a play for it once or twice.  Once somebody’s been a certain amount of famous for long enough they lose track of a certain context that makes them relatable.  I see the same thing in Ed in those videos where he’s coaching young musicians on their path.  The truth is that guy would have absolutely 0 idea how to carve a path for himself in today’s environment.  Their is NOTHING even remotely comparable to the system that they moved up in today. The record industry is OVER and he’s completely talking out of his ass.  I love and respect these guys but they need to just do one more record and shut the fuck up.  They’re not speaking for anybody anymore.

• Like 2

Ed has become really unlikeable a huge cliche this press cycle.

His kids can afford to pants their education for their dad's self-indulgent Brazil trip because their dad's in Radiohead. They don't need to go to uni and they don't need a trade. Their old man will give them money to 'have the invaluable experience of global travel' from ages 18 to 25 and then when they feel like it, they'll get a cushy arse PR job at XL designing splash pages and deciding between fonts.

One rich English fellas view on Brazil is probably completely different to the average Brazilians. That country is fucked. The mix of the poor and hungry still against the controlling rich, then the expanding middle class, it's a classic goatfuck. It's like going to India. Do you actually want to live like the average Indian? Probably not. But get first class rail and nice hotels and yeah, I bet the curries banged.

• Like 2

Notice how Jonny doesn’t do what Phil and Ed does in interviews trying to down play Radiohead?  Jonny Colin and Thom are Radiohead.  As a bass guitarist I can tell you how difficult it would be to make the great lines Colin does based off of Thoms demos.  Radiohead is Thom, Jonny, Colin and Nigel.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:33 PM, forward said:

His kids can afford to pants their education for their dad's self-indulgent Brazil trip because their dad's in Radiohead. They don't need to go to uni and they don't need a trade. Their old man will give them money to 'have the invaluable experience of global travel' from ages 18 to 25 and then when they feel like it, they'll get a cushy arse PR job at XL designing splash pages and deciding between fonts.

lol

Edited by Girl in the Purple Dress
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, booger bear said:

As a bass guitarist I can tell you how difficult it would be to make the great lines Colin does based off of Thoms demos.  

Yeah, bass is like throwing a lot of heavy black ink when youre drawing or painting.  You got to know what you’re doing cus it’s the borderline of the music in a big way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, truelove said:

I am Reddit’s Gilgamesh_Johnson

and the pure and uncomplicated love I feel for this man is life affirming!  I’m not afraid to share this on other platforms.  I’m not saying that I don’t love my friends and family.  But this is a messy sort of love, stained of human folly .  I find the love I feel for Thom at a distance, on the other hand, to be unspoiled by any truth that I don’t wish to see or cannot see from a distance. I don’t believe in god so naturally Thom is the next best thing.  Tell me how I am being silly?

furthermore, I find that all thoughts unaligned with constant meditation of Thom’s splendor too be a kind of eternal dead zone.  A fall from grace.  A paradise lost, if you will.  
oh well, must return to work.  “Abandon all hope, ye who enter here” lol 💕 u Thom!

Nice. I like Thom too, but I don't worship him (anymore). Cheers.