Do you have more faith in Radiohead's judgment after listening to the minidiscs

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don’t know about that.  Sounded like they legitimately mucked it up with those “a day in the life “ strings

I fucking a hate you peoples. No fan here? Who the fucking hell are tyou to say this early version is good or this one is bad? Get your shit togheter! Give radiohead sone air to breath. This is bad, t

the most confusing thing about their editorial process is that, in spite of how critical and careful they clearly were, they still allowed Electioneering onto the album 

37 minutes ago, hysterical.useless said:

Can you believe how many fuckers there were in '97 who were like, "ah, yes, this singer/songwriter bullshit that's been done dozens of times before by the same goddamn artist; this right here, Time Out of Mind, AOTY right here."

shut your fucking trap.

gotta say i'm more interested than ever to get a glimpse at the Kid A/Amnesiac sessions because I can't imagine imagine taking the crazy amount of material and weird experiments they had their hands on in that period and trimming it down to Kid A's track listing

• Like 1
1 hour ago, omensetter said:

gotta say i'm more interested than ever to get a glimpse at the Kid A/Amnesiac sessions because I can't imagine imagine taking the crazy amount of material and weird experiments they had their hands on in that period and trimming it down to Kid A's track listing

Agree. The mini discs are much more conventional guitars, base, drums, etc. The kid A / Amnesiac stuff was a complete departure. Thinking about Ed's diaries and all the information we now have on those sessions there are bound to be wildly different version of the songs we know today. 

Regards their judgement, the proof is in the pudding. Ok Computer is an excellent album (and I love electioneering!). What this discs don't show is the tinkering done in the recording and arranging the songs. It's a different process then jamming an idea out in a rehearsal scenario. 

They haven't always got it right, but we hold Radiohead, as they do themselves, to an extremely high standard. Maybe we shouldn't be so critical and just happy with what we have. 

• Like 2
On 6/18/2019 at 4:37 PM, Skehan said:

Keep in mind that this was only a small snippet, relatively, of all the OKC sessions. We have no idea what else they were working on during that time. 

Exactly. These minidiscs aren't their complete sessions. And many of them haven't been mixed or mastered. I think the only thing it shows is that they don't settle and are constantly fiddling with their songs. They may have other studio versions of songs from that period, such as Nude for instance, that are brilliant in their own way.