Do you have more faith in Radiohead's judgment after listening to the minidiscs

mr. mojo risin'

Unlike Dylan, who arguably left his best song unreleased, it seems clear that Radiohead doesn't sit on anything really great.  Virtually ever song that was recorded during OK Computer and then re-recorded at a later date substantially improved.  In Rainbows Nude is a million times better than the OKC version.  True Love Waits got a lot better.  National Anthem and Glass House got better.

Honestly, I am a bit surprised that such a great album didn't have more great outtakes.  Most of them are outtakes for a reason.  The only exception I can think of is Lift.  But maybe I missed a few gems in the leak.

Edited by mr. mojo risin'
  • Like 1

I think someone else mentioned this in wake of the leak, but what really shines through all of this is Radiohead's exceptional ability to get arrangements right; to know when to sit on something, or when to change it, or when to discard it; or when to release it. This lies at the heart of their genius. The fact that they've "gotten it right" more often than not over the course of two and a half decades is remarkable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mr. mojo risin' said:

Unlike Dylan, who arguably left his best song unreleased, it seems clear that Radiohead doesn't sit on anything really great.  Virtually ever song that was recorded during OK Computer and then re-recorded at a later date substantially improved.  In Rainbows Nude is a million times better than the OKC version.  True Love Waits got a lot better.  National Anthem and Glass House got better.

Honestly, I am a bit surprised that such a great album didn't have more great outtakes.  Most of them are outtakes for a reason.  The only exception I can think of is Lift.  But maybe I missed a few gems in the leak.

What Dylan song is this?

• Like 1

What is the best Bob Dylan song then? That sort of lore interests me.

Ultimately this is a small sample size. They have nine albums and OK Computer is the one you can track from first live performances to final one, and see a band's approach to their songs and ultimate drag from them. The recorded material ended up great – just the choice of instrumentation, turning off an electric guitar in Karma Police or giving something else more space, the last minute addition of the main guitar line in Airbag...

...to me it just points toward the argument that for all great art, there's a great set of coincidences.

Things can just perfectly align and it's more than 10 creatives in a room, of which their combined ideas are better together, at the perfect meld of youth and ideas and age and ability.

If you read up on your favourite films or TV series, it's amazing how many off-the-cuff decisions alter them. Some stage hand deciding to paint something a different colour, an actor being sick one day, a camera not working in the right way are all little incidental moments that can make something good. It's unintended but it creates something iconic or adds to the texture.

Yeah the great source material was there. They worked hard on some smart ideas. The thinking was open minded. And there was a fair amount of material. But ultimately they got the absolute best out of what they had and that's why the end product is a rarified, genuine great album.

• Like 1

I fucking a hate you peoples. No fan here? Who the fucking hell are tyou to say this early version is good or this one is bad? Get your shit togheter! Give radiohead sone air to breath. This is bad, this good, i think i'm god, come on

• Like 4

I think the b sides they’ve released over the years show this. The OKC anniversary release highlighted this more for me than the mini discs. Of the three “new” songs, only Man Of War was up to their unbelievably high standards. Lift isn’t very good and I Promise is worse. They have consistently shown that they know when a song isn’t good enough or simply doesn’t fit with an album. 

there's an electric version of blind willie on some infidels sessions bootleg that's really great, i think i like it more than the BS 1-3 release.

i just finished listening to all 14 discs of the RTR box today. just great great stuff. and now we're hearing that the next bootleg series will release this year and it's going to cover JWH and Nashville Skyline. i'm definitely a lot more excited for the JWH outtakes, but man... great time to be a fan.

16 hours ago, mr. mojo risin' said:

Keep in mind that this was only a small snippet, relatively, of all the OKC sessions. We have no idea what else they were working on during that time. 

10 hours ago, Weird Fisherman said:

I think the b sides they’ve released over the years show this. The OKC anniversary release highlighted this more for me than the mini discs. Of the three “new” songs, only Man Of War was up to their unbelievably high standards. Lift isn’t very good and I Promise is worse. They have consistently shown that they know when a song isn’t good enough or simply doesn’t fit with an album. 

:classic_laugh: is this a joke?