Best Version of Lift

Best Version of Lift?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite version of Lift?

• Pinkpop
    • 2002 Pre-HTTT Tour
    • OKNOTOK
    • Mini Disc 15
    • Mini Disc 16 first version
    • Mini Disc 16 second version

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After several listens, I'm surprised anyone prefers anything other than the Disk 15 version. The loudness and energy of that one is just balls-to-the-wall great. It's basically a studio-quality versio

In light of the leaks I actively hate the OKNOTOK version now. The idea that they would include that version over 15 or 16.1/16.2 is seriously one of their most baffling decisions. 

OKNOTOK Lift is unlistenable now. Always loved listening to the 2002 version late at night but disc 15’s is balls to the wall mid-90s bliss that makes me wanna take the scenic route with the sunr

2 minutes ago, In Portrait said:

Lads, the 3 versions of LIFT found on the Minidiscs are the SAME take but with different mixes and mastering.... 

There’s more than 3 and there are takes with different vocals 

It's a bit odd when they've always maintained they could never get Lift to work in the studio when they plainly had more than one perfectly decent version recorded back in '97.  It is true though that it would have stuck out like a sore thumb on OK Computer.  And maybe they got a bit scared of it and felt the need to change it (like the 2002 version) just so it wouldn't be so chart friendly.   I kinda love the fact that they decided not to release it at all.  I mean how many bands have songs that good that can be just shelved because they don't fit to a specific aesthetic at that time?  

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, original wombat said:

It's a bit odd when they've always maintained they could never get Lift to work in the studio when they plainly had more than one perfectly decent version recorded back in '97.  It is true though that it would have stuck out like a sore thumb on OK Computer.  And maybe they got a bit scared of it and felt the need to change it (like the 2002 version) just so it wouldn't be so chart friendly.   I kinda love the fact that they decided not to release it at all.  I mean how many bands have songs that good that can be just shelved because they don't fit to a specific aesthetic at that time?  

From the minidiscs it’s clear that they had a pretty brutal approach to throwing away things that sounded too much like their old selves. But I don’t think it’s about it being radio friendly, there’s a quote by Ed that I think people misinterpret as them thinking lift would be too popular, but I think what he meant is that they felt like lift was too strong and that they either had to change it or change the whole album around it, which in their mind would’ve been like releasing “the bends 2”. Here’s the quote:

The audience, suddenly you’d see them get up and start grooving. It had this infectiousness. It was a big anthemic song. If that song had been on that album, it would've taken us to a different place, and probably we’d have sold a lot more records—if we’d done it right. And everyone was saying this. And I think we subconsciously killed it. If OK Computer had been like a Jagged Little Pill, it would’ve killed us. But “Lift” had this magic about it. But when we got to the studio and did it, it felt like having a gun to your head. There was so much pressure. But saying that, I’ve got a monitor mix, and it is pretty good

I interpret that as not wanting Creep 2 (you know the implications of this)

And in a sense, OK Computer getting ignored in favour of Creep 2 would absolutely suck

Oh my gaaawd the creep band have a new song out its called stuck in a lift!!

They got a new album out too?

Yeah but don't want it it's not on there

It's impossible to predict the success of a song like Creep and entirely unlikely to happen. There were several tracks on The Bends and even a couple on OKC that were pretty commercial and still nowhere near the phenomenon of Creep. To hold a song back for that reason seems silly to me.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, MarkGrace said:

It's impossible to predict the success of a song like Creep and entirely unlikely to happen. There were several tracks on The Bends and even a couple on OKC that were pretty commercial and still nowhere near the phenomenon of Creep. To hold a song back for that reason seems silly to me.

Ed does seem presumptuous there. Well.. Er what's the hindsight equivalent of presumptuous??

Words like Anthemic... Tell you what, he isn't lacking in confidence in Lift

Selling a lot of records is an admiral complaint but a slightly puzzling one... Given how they reacted to OK Computer's success, a Jagged Little Pill (33m sold!) Creep must have really done a number, is my fairly obvious guess.

Man, if I get a crystal ball and see in an alternate time line that Lift charted as #34 for two weeks, a couple months before OK Computer, I'm gonna be in despair

1 hour ago, tiban said:

From the minidiscs it’s clear that they had a pretty brutal approach to throwing away things that sounded too much like their old selves. But I don’t think it’s about it being radio friendly, there’s a quote by Ed that I think people misinterpret as them thinking lift would be too popular, but I think what he meant is that they felt like lift was too strong and that they either had to change it or change the whole album around it, which in their mind would’ve been like releasing “the bends 2”. Here’s the quote:

It would have fit a lot better on The Bends than on OK Computer.  If it was me I'd have put it out as a standalone single just after OK Computer (like they put out Pop is Dead after Pablo Honey, though it was not on the album).  It's pretty hard to relegate it to b-side status.

Edited by original wombat
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, Glitchd said:

Ed does seem presumptuous there. Well.. Er what's the hindsight equivalent of presumptuous??

Words like Anthemic... Tell you what, he isn't lacking in confidence in Lift

Selling a lot of records is an admiral complaint but a slightly puzzling one... Given how they reacted to OK Computer's success, a Jagged Little Pill (33m sold!) Creep must have really done a number, is my fairly obvious guess.

Man, if I get a crystal ball and see in an alternate time line that Lift charted as #34 for two weeks, a couple months before OK Computer, I'm gonna be in despair

like I said, I think the “sell more records” was an aside and not his main point, I think it’s more to do with not wanting to go to that the bends 95 post grunge pop place for their next album, which apparently is a thing they were either considering or subconsciously steering towards given how the early versions of the songs were sounding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Duff said:

Am I right in thinking there's some soundcheck recording of Thom playing Lift on piano, sorta recently? Can't find it now.

Yes, it was during an Atoms for Peace soundcheck. Then some guy starts badly mumbling along to it and some woman tells him to shut the fuck up lol.

Jonny mentioned somewhere around like 2015ish they were trying out Lift again, I kind of believe that maybe the AMSP take on TLW originally started as Lift.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I think people are taking Ed too literally when he says Radiohead didn't want to have a hit song. I think he just meant they were being pulled in another direction artistically, partly due to external pressures.

17 hours ago, CHAZ934 said:

Like, these versions sound pretty much album ready and complete. 

Is it possible they lost the 18 mini discs in the process of making OKNOTOK and they had to improvise? 

Maybe not the leaker legit stole them and not just ripped them. Then again, we probably would have heard about something like that happening...

Just a guess, maybe they don't have the master tapes or multi-tracks of these different takes and rehearsals? If the minidiscs are all that exist of those sessions, they might not have been considered suitable for mastering an actual CD or high resolution release (that might have also been the reasoning for some of the other era tracks appearing on the White cassette, rather than doing a 4 or 5 CD super deluxe type release as some bands have tended to do recently). 

I was a bit disappointed that OK NOT OK really only had 3 new songs on the actual CD's (I don't even have cassette player anymore anyway, so the actual tape is more of a novelty or collector's item to me ). 

4 hours ago, Duff said:

Yes, I think people are taking Ed too literally when he says Radiohead didn't want to have a hit song. I think he just meant they were being pulled in another direction artistically, partly due to external pressures.

That statement never made sense, as OK Computer was just as radio friendly as The Bends really.

Lift was a bit of an odd duck. I like it, but the 2018 release would have sounded totally out of place on OKC just as the early Pinkpop version would have. I was never a fan of the synth. My take on the song from the first time i heard the Pinkpop version was "great song, but that synth is just too much". I hope we eventually get to hear some of the later attempts to rework the song on other albums, those should be even more interesting.

5 hours ago, Duff said:

If there was an issue with how they foresaw it, I'd imagine it was a fear of it overshadowing an album they thought was very good.

They were peeved at playing Creep live and people forget it was, what, barely a four year turnaround from that and them arranging the album. It would have been like exchanging one song for another and continuing down that path. And of course having OK Computer as a secondary item. That album's then and ongoing success means you would never ever change it for one hit single, no matter how big it would've made them. The trajectory we found em on is a good one. Of all those astral planes...

I wonder how well Lift would have done if it was released on Hail to the Thief? Too soon after the demise of all that stuff and too clutched to the coattails of Coldplay to work on its own?

What if they pushed it really, really hard back in 2017 (and it was a more powerful and heavy hearted anthem)?

Radiohead go on Fallon or some shit and play this. What happens?

OKNOTOK Lift is unlistenable now.

Always loved listening to the 2002 version late at night but disc 15’s is balls to the wall mid-90s bliss that makes me wanna take the scenic route with the sunroof open on a perfect day.

Edited by Scatterbrain
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Scatterbrain said:

OKNOTOK Lift is unlistenable now.

Always loved listening to the 2002 version late at night but disc 15’s is balls to the wall mid-90s bliss that makes me wanna take the scenic route with the sunroof open on a perfect day.

I wish I could go back in time and feel for the first time the feeling I got when i heard that shredmaster as fuck jonny guitar going apeshit on the chorus kinda doubling the vocal melody but in this super messy jonny greenwood 90s style, it’s such a cliche radiohead thing but it works so so well, it’s almost  silly, it’s almost ridiculous and I keep putting myself in the bands shoes and I really can’t imagine where I’d put it, what i’d do with it.

2 hours ago, hysterical.useless said:

I really really love the Gameboy intro on the Disk 15 version.

It's a reversed, pitched-up sample of a jingle from a Japanese convenience store. (The original sample is also in the leak. Presumably recorded while the band were touring Japan for The Bends.)

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Duff said:

It's a reversed, pitched-up sample of a jingle from a Japanese convenience store. (The original sample is also in the leak. Presumably recorded while the band were touring Japan for The Bends.)

time stamps? would be huge.

^ That's an example of the jingle in a real shop in Japan. There's a sample of it at 43:38 on track 5. It's used as an intro (reversed) before one of the versions of Lift.

Edited by Duff