Best Version of Lift

Best Version of Lift?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite version of Lift?

• Pinkpop
    • 2002 Pre-HTTT Tour
    • OKNOTOK
    • Mini Disc 15
    • Mini Disc 16 first version
    • Mini Disc 16 second version

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After several listens, I'm surprised anyone prefers anything other than the Disk 15 version. The loudness and energy of that one is just balls-to-the-wall great. It's basically a studio-quality versio

In light of the leaks I actively hate the OKNOTOK version now. The idea that they would include that version over 15 or 16.1/16.2 is seriously one of their most baffling decisions. 

OKNOTOK Lift is unlistenable now. Always loved listening to the 2002 version late at night but disc 15’s is balls to the wall mid-90s bliss that makes me wanna take the scenic route with the sunr

maybe this is a good place to discuss what the band thinks about lift. The version on disc 15 seems finished enough to have an intro put in but the band clearly felt more mixing needed to be done based on disc 16 and it looks like they were looking for a cleaner, less agressive sound to it, maybe this was to make it fit with the rest of the songs on the album? The fact that the OKNOTOK version sounds so chill and smooth and the 2002 rework would confirm that the band clearly thinks lift should not be that agressive. IDK the whole thing just feels really interesting to me

Mini Disk 15 is more aggressive and rock but the mix is not the best.  I do love that guitar lick that sounds like Jonny?  However the version from disc 16 second version sounds more final.  However I understand if someone doesn't like the synths so up front in the mix.  

the thing about the versions on disc 16 that makes me not like them as much are the orchestral (cello?) mellotron stabs on the left channel, they feel like they are going for something that's not super working out.

You are right that the mix on Disc 15 is kinda muddy and compressed but I like that it's very consistent and nothing feels out of place in its arrangement or production.

16v2

The reason why I picked it over the one on 15 is simply, I'm happy with 16v2 as the finished article.

The mixing alone on 15 means there's still that "what if?" question (even if it's "what if this sounded better?")

It's nice to have a favourite, it's good to have a definitive

4 minutes ago, CHAZ934 said:

In light of the leaks I actively hate the OKNOTOK version now.

The idea that they would include that version over 15 or 16.1/16.2 is seriously one of their most baffling decisions. 

There's no way the vox weren't new as well

Which I was OK with if like, Oh they just had an instrumental version, or whatever

And now, they had three absolutely sizzling versions from back in the day, with fantastic vocals, which is far more congruent with the premise of OKNOTOK than a half-remake

1 minute ago, Glitchd said:

There's no way the vox weren't new as well

Which I was OK with if like, Oh they just had an instrumental version, or whatever

And now, they had three absolutely sizzling versions from back in the day, with fantastic vocals, which is far more congruent with the premise of OKNOTOK than a half-remake

Like, these versions sound pretty much album ready and complete. 

Is it possible they lost the 18 mini discs in the process of making OKNOTOK and they had to improvise? 

Maybe not the leaker legit stole them and not just ripped them. Then again, we probably would have heard about something like that happening...

18 minutes ago, CHAZ934 said:

Like, these versions sound pretty much album ready and complete. 

Is it possible they lost the 18 mini discs in the process of making OKNOTOK and they had to improvise? 

Maybe not the leaker legit stole them and not just ripped them. Then again, we probably would have heard about something like that happening...

It's possible that they only had separate tracks (i.e. workable, mixable files) for the version they decided to include.

But still, these disc 16 versions make you wonder: they are not only fully finished and mixed, but they even appear in the minidisc that contains the rest of the unmastered album. So it's obviously a finished product. Also, were they considering it for inclusion in the album somehow? Or as a separate single?

1 minute ago, Twist said:

It's possible that they only had separate tracks (i.e. workable, mixable files) for the version they decided to include.

If that's true, it doesn't explain why the OKNOTOK version is so obviously horribly mixed...

I have a pet theory produced from my ass, where they loved it, decided it didn't fit on OK Computer (I mean, I guess there's different views on that, but some of these discs with unmastered tracks sound like experiments with running order/ sequencing) and possibly wanted to use it, maybe as a single

But then either the horrors of OK Computer's success got them bad (which did happen) and or it didn't seem to fit their remit once they, or Thom, started actively disliking the OK Computer sound

But the OKNOTOK.... Shrug. Least we got this, huh?

5 minutes ago, Duff said:

If that's true, it doesn't explain why the OKNOTOK version is so obviously horribly mixed...

Indeed, at the time I assumed that was all they had to work with, because it's so clearly not up to standard. Perplexing.

Lift is a bit too optimistic and poppy for OKC. I think having that AND let down would have changed the tone far too much. Just a real shame it wasn’t on The Bends or released as a b-side 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Twist said:

But still, these disc 16 versions make you wonder: they are not only fully finished and mixed, but they even appear in the minidisc that contains the rest of the unmastered album. So it's obviously a finished product. Also, were they considering it for inclusion in the album somehow? Or as a separate single?

Judging by Disc 16 they were originally going to have A Reminder and Lift added on as the last 2 songs of OK Computer

1 hour ago, Duff said:

Am I right in thinking there's some soundcheck recording of Thom playing Lift on piano, sorta recently? Can't find it now.

There was something from a soundcheck in Chile like a mere year ago but
1) was five seconds of a chord and I think it was reaching
2) had to look on reddit where they're disputing it and that's the evidence I can find today sadly

Sorry to do this to you dude, but I'm gonna link to /r/radiohead

Edited by Glitchd
  • Sad 1