Happy Anniversary Amnesiac - Kid A/Amnesiac Thread Returns

thatthere

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, booger bear said:

Well said, Grumy, though you might be responding to a troll.

I’m not a troll.  I’ve been on at ease since HTTT. Hyperbole and directionless whining/rage have long been a part of this forum, and that chaos is what made this place fun. In that vein, I am partially being facetious as well, though I sincerely think this is a disappointing effort on the band’s part compared to OKNOTOK (absent additional information like I said, but I’m not realistically banking on that).

Edited by Spaghettimatt

14 hours ago, booger bear said:

Haha but no I have already spent so much money on these albums, three special editions.  I am not going to shell out anything more than 20 dollars more for what is a interactive art exhibit when I already paid for the 360 page art book.  I’ll just watch it on YouTube.

edit:  I lied I Will anyway 

Since it is an app rather than a game I was expecting for it to be free.

1 hour ago, Spaghettimatt said:

I’m not a troll.  I’ve been on at ease since HTTT. Hyperbole and directionless whining/rage have long been a part of this forum, and that chaos is what made this place fun. In that vein, I am partially being facetious as well, though I sincerely think this is a disappointing effort on the band’s part compared to OKNOTOK (absent additional information like I said, but I’m not realistically banking on that).

Fair enough, my apologies, we had a huge issue with a recent troll that was finally banned so I just saw your low user account and assumed.

1 hour ago, booger bear said:

Fair enough, my apologies, we had a huge issue with a recent troll that was finally banned so I just saw your low user account and assumed.

Nah no apologies needed.  I’ve always been more of a lurker on main but more active on the Music boards in the Wild West days of YSI sharing. 

I’m honestly just playing heel with the “GARBAGE” shtick, but I am legitimately let down with the new music aspect of this release after looking forward to it for over the course of two really shitty, depressing years.

Edited by Spaghettimatt

28 minutes ago, chernobyl2 said:

honestly I think it's a total lock that we get some shows/live stuff on the Public Library, but maybe even some more epeherma as well. actually very stoked about this game though, definitely looks like a successor to Polyfauna.

I’m also stoked about the game—truly. The art books don’t do anything for me: I’ve spent so much time looking at Kid Amnesiac era art on posters and t shirts and websites over the last 20 years that I don’t feel the need to own a book full of it. But I do love the idea of exploring a totally new medium for it. Also love the notion of some song stems being chopped up or mixed weirdly for the digital landscape. 

8 hours ago, chernobyl2 said:

honestly I think it's a total lock that we get some shows/live stuff on the Public Library, but maybe even some more epeherma as well. actually very stoked about this game though, definitely looks like a successor to Polyfauna.

Maybe Polyfauna - but that would be an odd thing to hark back to here as it came out so much later than Kid A and Amnesiac (Polyfauna was originally released 2014). 

Anyone remember the old 2001 rh site and the page ”byzantine ziggurat”? It was just an html site but it was made like they were experimenting with rudimentary game design. It just occurred to me last night that they may properly be creating the ziggurat in game form now that the technology is more accessible to them. The trailer seemed to feature some kind of pyramidic / ancient structure, so that kinda fits. How cool is that!

http://archive.radiohead.com/Site10/index2.html

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/radiohead-public-library

"In the early 2000s, Radiohead almost invented social media. “We came up with this idea to create something we called a ziggurat,” lead singer Thom Yorke explains, over a video call from his studio. "Each person would have a room, and you could leave your own shit there, your opinions on stuff, bits of music, what you're up to. And then you move into different rooms, message each other. Like a weird, twisted version of Facebook.""

Also this:

"Yorke adds that he doesn't "feel a sense of community in the way that one is supposed to with these things. Because I don't like being trolled. I had enough of that a long time ago." He notes that in the past, he's had chance meetings with people who had posted abuse on the Radiohead message board, only to find that they were contrite in person. These encounters left him feeling sorry for those who post negatively online. "Generally speaking, I just don't think it's healthy. That's something that looks like direct contact, but isn't direct contact. It's two shadows talking in a room."

"Yorke notes he's got "loads", but won't let the cat out of the bag – the band intend that the Radiohead Public Library will remain in place for ever, a permanent archive in a sea of impermanence. "There's a lot of stuff gets made every day; it's a huge, streaming-flooded river that rolls past us," says Yorke. The library is "the act of trying to make a little island, pile a bunch of stones in the river, so it can get seen".

Will there be more items added to the pile? Yorke laughs. "That would demand us to do some fucking work. So I'm not sure about that yet. I guess so!""

So, I guess so too.  

I'm also sure the EPIC exhibition will be called something cooler than

KID A MNESIA EXHIBITION

Thanks for digging that info up!

the byzantine ziggurat is a strange building that has no physical existence. It is full of dark spaces that you can wander into and perhaps find other people. It's very big and we don't know what to do with it yet.

Seems like this could be relevant to what’s coming... Even if it isn’t it’s nice to go back to this stuff. 

I really hope they utilise the library for more unreleased material in future - a lot of the tiktoks featured references to music spanning their career, not just the current reissue. Anyway, with this and The Smile coming it’s an exciting time!

On 9/10/2021 at 10:16 PM, Spaghettimatt said:

Nah no apologies needed.  I’ve always been more of a lurker on main but more active on the Music boards in the Wild West days of YSI sharing. 

😞 I need this back in my life. Somebody tell me what to listen to.

1 hour ago, Spaghettimatt said:

This place was so, so great back in 2007-2012 or so. 

i got tix to 6 shows on the 2006 tour thanks to the all night shifts of people working the At Ease group text threads. reddit could never pull that off.

"Even though they're really great songs, and I'm really proud of them, they just didn't fit," Yorke said of the songs that didn't make it onto Kid A. "Which is quite a weird feeling, because you think an album should be just basically the best songs. That's not necessarily true. You can put all the best songs in the world on a record, and they'll ruin each other.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/radiohead-kid-a-double-album/

ultimate classic rock haahaaa

On 9/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, thatthere said:

http://archive.radiohead.com/Site10/index2.html

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/radiohead-public-library

"In the early 2000s, Radiohead almost invented social media. “We came up with this idea to create something we called a ziggurat,” lead singer Thom Yorke explains, over a video call from his studio. "Each person would have a room, and you could leave your own shit there, your opinions on stuff, bits of music, what you're up to. And then you move into different rooms, message each other. Like a weird, twisted version of Facebook.""

Also this:

"Yorke adds that he doesn't "feel a sense of community in the way that one is supposed to with these things. Because I don't like being trolled. I had enough of that a long time ago." He notes that in the past, he's had chance meetings with people who had posted abuse on the Radiohead message board, only to find that they were contrite in person. These encounters left him feeling sorry for those who post negatively online. "Generally speaking, I just don't think it's healthy. That's something that looks like direct contact, but isn't direct contact. It's two shadows talking in a room."

I remember the Radiohead Byzantine Ziggurat webpage..It seemed like an interesting idea but I had no idea what it was supposed to be..

I remember that game with the ship. Was that it?

Did anyone else go to the Kid A playbacks before release? There were definitely some in London as I went to one (Camden I seem to remember) but I feel like there some in New York or something too?

I also remember that early report of the album from someone who wandered to the Courtyard Management offices. The bit from that I always remember is them talking about Optimistic being only on one side for half the song and then bursting into both. I wondered at the time ‘are you sure the headphones weren’t just a bit dodgy?’

Yes, I went to the Kid A listening party in Camden. As I recall, they did a few 'sessions' over the course of the morning or day, and I think there were supposed to be about 30 people there, but only 5 turned up to this session. It was a weekday morning, which may help to explain the number of no-shows. One person had been to the Meltdown Festival show and warned us that the material was going to be very different from OKC. I don't think I had heard much of the bootlegs of the live material at that point, except maybe one of How to Disappear from 1998. There were bean bags to sit on and they played the record through wireless headphones. They did a session for journalists the following day.

I never figured out whether the people running it were part of Radiohead's management or from Parlophone. Anyway, they briefly asked for our thoughts at the end, but I couldn't say anything of substance. (I was 15 years old then; I don't think I said anything of substance about many things...)
I liked it, I was intrigued by it, but it was definitely different from what I thought it might be, where I guessed they might go based on OKC and its b-sides and the material in Meeting People is Easy. There was a guy there who was really disappointed and said he'd just been waiting for the guitars to kick in. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't ready to make any sense of it after a single listen. It was really exciting to get to hear it before almost anyone else. But, in retrospect, going to the big-tent gig in London that September (the first time I had seen them) was a much bigger deal for me -- a really euphoric experience.

By the way, this article mentions a rooftop listening party for journalists in New York. https://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/how-radioheads-kid-a-kicked-off-the-streaming-revolution/ My guess would be that they did one for fans there, also.

3 hours ago, oknotok said:

Yes, I went to the Kid A listening party in Camden. As I recall, they did a few 'sessions' over the course of the morning or day, and I think there were supposed to be about 30 people there, but only 5 turned up to this session. It was a weekday morning, which may help to explain the number of no-shows. One person had been to the Meltdown Festival show and warned us that the material was going to be very different from OKC. I don't think I had heard much of the bootlegs of the live material at that point, except maybe one of How to Disappear from 1998. There were bean bags to sit on and they played the record through wireless headphones. They did a session for journalists the following day.

I never figured out whether the people running it were part of Radiohead's management or from Parlophone. Anyway, they briefly asked for our thoughts at the end, but I couldn't say anything of substance. (I was 15 years old then; I don't think I said anything of substance about many things...)
I liked it, I was intrigued by it, but it was definitely different from what I thought it might be, where I guessed they might go based on OKC and its b-sides and the material in Meeting People is Easy. There was a guy there who was really disappointed and said he'd just been waiting for the guitars to kick in. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't ready to make any sense of it after a single listen. It was really exciting to get to hear it before almost anyone else. But, in retrospect, going to the big-tent gig in London that September (the first time I had seen them) was a much bigger deal for me -- a really euphoric experience.

By the way, this article mentions a rooftop listening party for journalists in New York. https://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/how-radioheads-kid-a-kicked-off-the-streaming-revolution/ My guess would be that they did one for fans there, also.

Ah yes the beanbags! I seem to remember a lot of red in the room, possibly the beanbags possibly not.

As I couldn’t remember the timeline I did a bit of wayback machine work and the FMA news page informs me that this was held on 17th August. Waste organised it so management were definitely involved but I bet Parlophone were there too. Seems like 50 people got tickets for it overall so we did pretty well!

I and a few friends had organised a holiday to Italy around the second Florence gig so I’d heard a good selection of the songs at that gig by the time of the playback. I’d also hammered Napster and edonkey just before leaving for the holiday to make sure we were all up to date.

There was still a lot to take in from the playback though. I can remember being pretty floored by How to Disappear and those strings. Don’t remember being canvased for opinion afterwards but it may still have happened.

A truly great gig and experience and a pretty great summer and autumn all told music wise 

I remember hearing about those parties but I am a hick in Maine and was 17.  So jealous.

edit: omg I hate that Radiohead subreddit so much.  A bunch of zoomers with memes, and omg did you know that there is an In Rainbows disc 2?  Constant memes.  Terrible the lot of them.  

Edited by booger bear

1 hour ago, booger bear said:

I remember hearing about those parties but I am a hick in Maine and was 17.  So jealous.

edit: omg I hate that Radiohead subreddit so much.  A bunch of zoomers with memes, and omg did you know that there is an In Rainbows disc 2?  Constant memes.  Terrible the lot of them.  

That place is truly a source of secondhand embarrassment.