18 hours of Ok Computer stuff leaked?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's funny to see Thom and Jonny be like "it's not very interesting" and then Thom puts out the Suspiria Unreleased Material on streaming services.

Tomorrow Night in Paris is amazing.  I hate it when people say that sort of thing but it really is amazing.  It's okay to say it now!  "Come on, come on".  New fans on reddit are still amazed that the

This is like I'm marrying my girlfriend next month and someone has leaked the nudes and I haven't seen her naked because I'm a good Christian man and now the nudes have disappeared from the internet a

Posted Images

I loved it when it was a live rarity, enjoyed it when it was released as part of OKNOTOK but i think the overexposure through the leak has made it it impossible for me to listen to at the minute. I'm sure when i revisit it  a long way into the future, i'll appreciate it differently/again. 

tbh the more I listen to I Promise, the more I like it. It never really changed, sans for one lyric about a wonky eye and some atmospherics (there's one version which is beautiful set of Ed guitar sounds in the background), and I kind of appreciate how simple it was and is. A pretty pure song for that era.

16 minutes ago, forward said:

tbh the more I listen to I Promise, the more I like it. It never really changed, sans for one lyric about a wonky eye and some atmospherics (there's one version which is beautiful set of Ed guitar sounds in the background), and I kind of appreciate how simple it was and is. A pretty pure song for that era.

I completely appreciate that too, i think it fair to like something more on repeat listens...  

I learnt to play this years ago and loved playing it.  A) because it was easy to play and B) no one knew what i was playing. It allowed me to share the live recordings with my mates and expose them to a world of other Radiohead stuff. So it does have good memories for me, i just don't want to listen to it for several years!

'I Promise' and myself are on break for a little while!

12 minutes ago, Fox said:

I completely appreciate that too, i think it fair to like something more on repeat listens...  

I learnt to play this years ago and loved playing it.  A) because it was easy to play and B) no one knew what i was playing. It allowed me to share the live recordings with my mates and expose them to a world of other Radiohead stuff. So it does have good memories for me, i just don't want to listen to it for several years!

'I Promise' and myself are on break for a little while!

I'm guessing it's pretty easy to play?

I dream about being in a band every day. I'm too lazy to learn. But I always wondered how far you could take playing unknown songs by good bands – pre OKNOTOK I Promise (not Lift), Open the Floodgates...

7 minutes ago, Scatterbrain said:

Anyone else having issues with downloading in lossless? I've done with Flac and Wav and the files are incomplete:

The flac is up on redacted (torrent tracker), so it's at least working for someone. I'm downloading now (e: from bandcamp, not torrenting fwiw).

Edited by pentachris
7 minutes ago, forward said:

I'm guessing it's pretty easy to play?

I dream about being in a band every day. I'm too lazy to learn. But I always wondered how far you could take playing unknown songs by good bands – pre OKNOTOK I Promise (not Lift), Open the Floodgates...

I taught myself how to play when i was 14 using some guitar tab, not music notation. I did a little research and learnt a load of Oasis and Verve tunes (really simple Chords) because its easier when you know the song to be able to work out how it should sound. Joined a school band 6 months later and wrote some awful songs but it was fun. I have my own MiniDisks but certain no-one wants to listen to them! 

Lift is easy too. 

Give it a go - a guitar is cheaper and more portable than a piano and to be fair there is a quicker/easier speed to competency. 🎸

5 minutes ago, pentachris said:

The flac is up on redacted (torrent tracker), so it's at least working for someone. I'm downloading now (e: from bandcamp, not torrenting fwiw).

It's a shame that the legal Bandcamp thingie is already available on torrent sites.

The Band is making the best out of the situation and all proceeds will go to extinction rebellion.

I mean -  it's 22$ for 17 hours of music. That's not a bad deal.

I purchased the ALAC files.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Scatterbrain said:

Anyone else having issues with downloading in lossless? I've done with Flac and Wav and the files are incomplete:

668745745_ScreenShot2019-06-11at7_21_10AM.png.c8cfc30482851225e53dc8a9d699f3f5.png

Use a download manager like jDownloader 2. It should help! I downloaded both the FLAC and MP3 320kbps release with zero errors.

• Like 1

Interestingly it appears that the official release has conveniently had all of its gaps between tracks edited out, but it has also been put through a brick wall limiter. The difference in dynamics depends on the track, but it isn't a big deal. The quality overall is significantly better though.

I've also noticed in some instances that nuance/misc audio has been removed. e.g. the random TV clip audio on Disc 2 at 25:07.

Thought it was worth mentioning.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, In Portrait said:

Is the Flac really Flac quality tho? 

The leak has a freq rolloff at 16 kHz. The official release has a freq roll off at 19 kHz. It's brighter for sure. The bass is also less muddy because you're not suffering from poor quality MP3 transcoding artifacts.

Is it noticeable for casual listeners? Honestly it depends on your speakers. You will notice a difference if listening with a decent pair of studio monitors with good tweeters, or studio headphones. I listen to music mostly on my Beyerdynamic DT 770. I can hear a much tighter bass and clearer treble now.

• Like 3

My guess is RH will not pursue the person alleged to have offered the material for sale.  Although the band would be within their rights (clearly) it's contrary to their generous toleration of bootlegs, etc...It's difficult to prosecute, and most important for the band, energy-consuming and a PR nightmare.  As to whether we will ever find out how this happened/who copied the content, I would doubt that too.  But full marks to the band for turning it into something better--which is kinda what they do with most things.  Ed is the Extinction Rebellion guy, so he's happy.      

The press reporting is pretty slack.  

(CNN) British rock band Radiohead have announced the release of hours of unheard material from the mid-1990s in response to ransom demands from unnamed hackers.  [There was only one instance of a demand for money, so not "demands". I'd also say RH release not so much a response to "ransom demands", as to the fact that the material is out there, so it might as well have a positive impact in some way.  Next, no basis for hackers plural.]  Last week cyber attackers stole archive material held by lead singer Thom Yorke and threatened to release it unless the band paid $150,000, according to a Facebook post from Radiohead. [Lazy to use "cyber attackers", unless the reporter has way more facts and it wasn't a guy with a USB]    Radiohead released an image of the stolen minidisc recorded at the time of the OK Computer sessions.  ["The" minidisc itself was not stolen.  And it's not THE stolen minidisc, the contents of several were copied.]  

The band member also tweeted the statement which they had drafted in an email. Its subject line read, "Walter Sobchak vs Bunny's Toe," a reference to a plot line in the 1998 film The Big Lebowski.  [which HE had drafted. Jonny is not plural. Or say which the band had drafted.  Sorry grammar peeve. ]

The critically-acclaimed album was released in 1997 and won Best Alternative Music Album at the Grammy Awards in 1998.   [Well at least CNN got that right.]

Edited by thatthere
29 minutes ago, marcohead said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005vsw#play

this has some discussion about the leak - it’s meant to be towards the end but I can’t find it - I’m on my phone...BBC 6 tweeted about it.

Cool, thanks. Man, the twists and turns related to this leak have been thrilling (not to mention the leak itself).

Edited by KidAmnesiac

Leak info on the left, official FLAC info on the right (as reported by dBpoweramp)

image.png.07864e207a6159b07114aad453ed3e8f.png

About 57 minutes cut out of the official release.

Also, some people comparing the spectrals are saying they indicate that the floor was raised in the official release.

• Like 1

Also, anyone (not saying you @KidAmnesiac) who has been hanging about here begging to  just to get a link can now get the material and make the band happy.  (And it's much better than most extras you're ever gonna get.)  

Don't get me wrong, cool to comment, lurk, but if you're gonna be massively off-topic or super chatty, there are other threads for that--or start your own, ya know. Go ahead, do it!  

Edited by thatthere
  • Like 1