18 hours of Ok Computer stuff leaked?

2 minutes ago, rogue said:

I used to be on the old atease, just made an account here. I've been following this topic and am interested in hearing the leak but am conflicted on doing so. I've seen a lot of talk here ridiculing the people on Reddit for having ethical qualms about downloading this. I'm curious why some of you are so dismissive of the idea that this is an ethical debate in any way. To me, whichever side you may fall on, there is an ethical question here. Not because Radiohead might be unhappy with the leak as artists. But because it is stolen property.

i don't care. i wasn't the XL employee who made copies of the tapes, i'm just a fan of music reaping the benefits.

i don't care if thom yorkie doesn't want me to hear him doing acapella takes of "a reminder", i'll listen anyway. call me heartless if you must.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's funny to see Thom and Jonny be like "it's not very interesting" and then Thom puts out the Suspiria Unreleased Material on streaming services.

Tomorrow Night in Paris is amazing.  I hate it when people say that sort of thing but it really is amazing.  It's okay to say it now!  "Come on, come on".  New fans on reddit are still amazed that the

This is like I'm marrying my girlfriend next month and someone has leaked the nudes and I haven't seen her naked because I'm a good Christian man and now the nudes have disappeared from the internet a

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, appearcomposed said:

i don't care. i wasn't the XL employee who made copies of the tapes, i'm just a fan of music reaping the benefits.

i don't care if thom yorkie doesn't want me to hear him doing acapella takes of "a reminder", i'll listen anyway. call me heartless if you must.

But what about all the bad in the world? All the despotism, daily death tolls, climate change, nonce rings, fascism on the rise, smoking being legal, weed not, murders, wars, hospitals struggling, animal mistreatment, international tensions at a high?

Is downloading some 20 year old MP3s from a rock band not an equal sin to these issues we all individually protest every single day??

Haha I'm just being forthright about it... Imagine having ethical qualms about this and even having the foggiest fucking notion about the world we live in right now. You'd be exhausted. But also, imo, a little arrogant to presume your actions here are even that meaningful. As the Buddha said, you should include yourself in your good actions; why not treat yourself? I'm MUCH happier this music has been liberated.

Tbf just jealous of such a tremendous first post. Signing up to ask the "guilty" about an ethical quandary they don't have. Like I can delete these now and forget. I'm still posting up a storm 24hrs later and it's not going as funny as that one!

Edited by Glitchd
  • Like 1
On 6/6/2019 at 7:45 PM, chernobyl2 said:

Yeah agreed, the last version of these seems pretty well formed. I think this could have been an amazing OKC b-side that kind of acted as a harbinger of the change Kid A would bring. 

Pretty sure this eventually evolved into Meeting In The Aisle.

It just sounds like Ed getting high and fucking around with samplers.

Edited by no452
15 minutes ago, Glitchd said:

But what about all the bad in the world? All the despotism, daily death tolls, climate change, nonce rings, fascism on the rise, smoking being legal, weed not, murders, wars, hospitals struggling, animal mistreatment, international tensions at a high?

Is downloading some 20 year old MP3s from a rock band not an equal sin to these issues we all individually protest every single day??

Haha I'm just being forthright about it... Imagine having ethical qualms about this and even having the foggiest fucking notion about the world we live in right now. You'd be exhausted. But also, imo, a little arrogant to presume your actions here are even that meaningful. As the Buddha said, you should include yourself in your good actions; why not treat yourself? I'm MUCH happier this music has been liberated.

Tbf just jealous of such a tremendous first post. Signing up to ask the "guilty" about an ethical quandary they don't have. Like I can delete these now and forget. I'm still posting up a storm 24hrs later and it's not going as funny as that one!

100% agreed. Those reddit losers need a dose of reality.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Glitchd said:

It's literally victimless for us. If you're giving something to the leaker, that's on you. We are not him and not as culpable

Handling stolen goods is not the same when it's digital. The definition of theft centres around deprivation. What are you depriving anybody of? I recommend resolving to buying any of this if it comes out.

It is worth noting as well, for all we know these have been hoarded for YEARS. If anything, the only argument I *can* understand is the artist's intent one...

And I guess, the kicker is this: What YOU choose to do now, even absolving, changes nothing. Any ethical stand is a fart in the wind.

Personally, I think depriving *yourself* is pointless, and any karmic little buzz you might feel gets dwarfed by throwing shade trying to make others feel bad, or being "proud"

Just be happy, and if you honestly don't think it's right, don't engage, but your protest - even if all of us protested - would not have prevented the leak; that seems borne out of a trader dispute or something.

You are not to blame for / bittersweet distractor

Thanks for the thoughtful response. And I do mean thoughtful, unlike the guy who simply said he doesn't care. Keep in mind I wasn't protesting or making a definitive statement on my own position, just genuinely asking. I just think it's an interesting ethical question and one worth debating, and I feel like it's too easy to simply throw the redditors' point of view out the window as having no worth.

9 minutes ago, rogue said:

Thanks for the thoughtful response. And I do mean thoughtful, unlike the guy who simply said he doesn't care. Keep in mind I wasn't protesting or making a definitive statement on my own position, just genuinely asking. I just think it's an interesting ethical question and one worth debating, and I feel like it's too easy to simply throw the redditors' point of view out the window as having no worth.

You're welcome. I was having fun with the follow up response btw so if you want to pick and choose the first one was from the heart. The second is me being Bill Hicks!

Seriously whatever you choose to do, just.. be happy with it

I did, for the record, have the same thought (but in a oh shit, is this ripping off the band?? kinda way)... and with the OK Lawyers stuff I think a lot of others people did. BUT, our place is so small, as fans, and I don't think you can affect real change. It is noble... but overstated, IMO, and a lot of the Reddit stuff I've seen (which is not "much" at all) seems, if coming from a nominally decent place, a bit disingenuous and artificial.

Because if I chose to not listen - I wouldn't have done so, but if I chose that I sure as hell wouldn't have signed up somewhere to TELL people to. It would, by my reasoning, lose power if it turns into a platform. Not saying you're doing that - but IMO, if someone was going to use it as a "I'm better than you" thing, they're being bad in a different way. Life is too short.

I'm dying to know the band's opinion btw. You can't do much with silence. It would not change my mind. But I give no fucks about 1) the music industry and the label Radiohead belonged to at the time, and 2) people who don't truly know me; not in an arrogant way, I will listen, but sometimes you have to trust your heart. And I mean this: I've had a shitty, SHITTY fucking time with family deaths n shit recently, and I'm sick of funerals; my favourite band's work from my favourite period fell into my arms. Shit, if my own personal morality has much to do with it, I'm gonna give myself a fucking break! 😉

Good luck with whatever you choose - and by that, I just mean, be happy and peaceful with it

Edited by Glitchd

This has all been a bit like opening Pandora’s box. Now that we know they have some crazy, high quality shit in their vaults you can only wonder what else they recorded.

I know 09 TPT and 96 TLW exist recorded somewhere :classic_sad:

1 minute ago, pentachris said:

Is that the provenance of the files? Did the person who traded them (Zimbra, if I followed the story correctly?) state as much, or is that speculation?

As of right now, the XL employee story is the one getting peddled around the most and maybe even the post probable (even though it's probably not true either)

Right now the leak story goes that somebody had them, Zimbra traded with that person, Zimbra then traded with a fake Hoserama, the fake Hoserama leaked the discs. It's kind of confusing.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, appearcomposed said:

As of right now, the XL employee story is the one getting peddled around the most and maybe even the post probable (even though it's probably not true either)

Right now the leak story goes that somebody had them, Zimbra traded with that person, Zimbra then traded with a fake Hoserama, the fake Hoserama leaked the discs. It's kind of confusing.

I wonder what the timeline is for all of this? How long did the XL intern, Zimbra, or Fakerama have these recordings?

1 minute ago, CHAZ934 said:

I wonder what the timeline is for all of this? How long did the XL intern, Zimbra, or Fakerama have these recordings?

Dunno about anyone else, but Zimbra got his hands on them originally around late May.

Edited by appearcomposed
5 minutes ago, appearcomposed said:

Not quite. Fake Hoserama had the files, traded with Zimbra. Zimbra tried to sell a song, and then fake Hoserama leaked the whole package. Nobody really knows where fake hoserama got the files at this point. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, hoserama said:

Not quite. Fake Hoserama had the files, traded with Zimbra. Zimbra tried to sell a song, and then fake Hoserama leaked the whole package. Nobody really knows where fake hoserama got the files at this point. 

ok yeah i thought i messed something up. i want to make a flowchart

1 minute ago, hoserama said:

This is weird cause basically if I wanted to thank someone, I've got to thank Fake Hoserama for spitting his dummy out that Zimbra tried to fucking sell something, or thank Zimbra for being so fucking gauche and objectionable he triggered this flood of material

.... Think I'll thank myself for just diving in!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, appearcomposed said:

Dunno about anyone else, but Zimbra got his hands on them originally around late May.

That is accurate, because there is a 26th of May date stamp on one of the files that Zimbra prepared within the teaser preview archive.

46 minutes ago, Glitchd said:

You're welcome. I was having fun with the follow up response btw so if you want to pick and choose the first one was from the heart. The second is me being Bill Hicks!

Seriously whatever you choose to do, just.. be happy with it

I did, for the record, have the same thought (but in a oh shit, is this ripping off the band?? kinda way)... and with the OK Lawyers stuff I think a lot of others people did. BUT, our place is so small, as fans, and I don't think you can affect real change. It is noble... but overstated, IMO, and a lot of the Reddit stuff I've seen (which is not "much" at all) seems, if coming from a nominally decent place, a bit disingenuous and artificial.

Because if I chose to not listen - I wouldn't have done so, but if I chose that I sure as hell wouldn't have signed up somewhere to TELL people to. It would, by my reasoning, lose power if it turns into a platform. Not saying you're doing that - but IMO, if someone was going to use it as a "I'm better than you" thing, they're being bad in a different way. Life is too short.

I'm dying to know the band's opinion btw. You can't do much with silence. It would not change my mind. But I give no fucks about 1) the music industry and the label Radiohead belonged to at the time, and 2) people who don't truly know me; not in an arrogant way, I will listen, but sometimes you have to trust your heart. And I mean this: I've had a shitty, SHITTY fucking time with family deaths n shit recently, and I'm sick of funerals; my favourite band's work from my favourite period fell into my arms. Shit, if my own personal morality has much to do with it, I'm gonna give myself a fucking break! 😉

Good luck with whatever you choose - and by that, I just mean, be happy and peaceful with it

No offense taken; my wife is a big Bill Hicks fan and introduced me to him. I'm sorry to hear about your recent losses, that really sucks. Of all bands I can see Radiohead being the one to help me in a time like that. Thanks for the advice, I will give it some thought! I too would buy it without a second thought if it was released officially. I own all the big box sets going back to In Rainbows. Would love to hear the band make some comment on this leak.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, rogue said:

No offense taken; my wife is a big Bill Hicks fan and introduced me to him. I'm sorry to hear about your recent losses, that really sucks. Of all bands I can see Radiohead being the one to help me in a time like that. Thanks for the advice, I will give it some thought! I too would buy it without a second thought if it was released officially. I own all the big box sets going back to In Rainbows. Would love to hear the band make some comment on this leak.

Kind words, thank you 🙂

Aye, I don't know if we will get a band response...  if I were you, I'd probably weigh up what I've spent on the band so far, your own "Impact", and what it would mean to you - do read this thread, there might well be a point where you realise the happiness outweights the perceived moral issues? Plus, I find it hard to find fans of any band who haven't enjoyed the odd bootleg - recorded without consent (bootlegs are basically prohibited in most venues).

Perhaps you could set a time limit, eg; one month without band comment or lawsuits = they're clearly not interested? I dunno. For all the OK Lawyer jokes... what is ACTUALLY happening in the Radiohead camp? If Colin is indeed implicit, that would throw an interesting slant on it

Again, good luck! And contribute... but I think it would be a tough job here to convince anyone they've done wrong (but to be fair you ain't doing that)

You are in control of your life, and best places to judge if this would benefit you.

Edited by Glitchd
  • Like 1

I think it's funny that the people involved in the leak all seem to be kinda petty assholes with petty intentions. Disgruntled XL intern gloating about stealing the material from under the band's noses, Trader/Bootlegger wants to brag / make money from stolen property, Alleged Taper/Hoarder leaks it to spite aforementioned Trader, this entire board with the cynical, nihilist commentary. And the funniest part is that I am thankful for all these assholes :classic_love:  Thank you all.