WORST THOM LYRICS THREAD

36 minutes ago, faceless said:

No, you're more like the crazy homeless guy screaming in the subway, weirding everyone out. Hence the silence and the awkwardness. We could be having a good time otherwise.

For this matter: what is the crazy homeless guy in the subway saying?  He’s saying that the society you live in is bullshit.  That you walk on by trading fake money, building fake identities with fake gopher busy jobs while you step over people who are hurting cus it’s just too painful for you to deal with.  He’s saying that what you pride yourself on is arbitrary chance.  That you (in general) elect and support the purgatory that you complain about cus yer afraid to look yourself in the face and you walk on by with yer head buried like a fucking drone and that’s the REAL reason for the silence and the awkward.

He’s claiming his right to be as the only thing he can be which is the residual surplus of pain suffering needed to prop an illusion of prosperity within people.  He is the conductor that keeps the train moving internally.  He stands his ground to define our success.  He keeps us protected from the worst truths as they are conveniently discredited under his ill repute.  “Don’t say that. That’s what maniacs say. That’s what dirty people say”. He is our license to disbelieve what’s right in front us.  Why should he be ignored.  It’s not what anyone really wants.  The louder he is, the crazier he is , the more utterly unloved and unwanted he is the sweeter the junk food gets.  He’s the real Willy Wonka reeling in a world of pure imagination 

72506B5C-8FD9-428A-A76E-B5F17FC8826C.jpeg

Bad lyrics are the elephant in the room of latter era Radiohead. Something people would rather not criticise?

I remember someone on here slating Phil for having boring cliches in his lyrics and song titles (Don't look down, It will end in tears, Waiting for a sign) as though Radiohead haven't spewed out whole songs with cliched lyrics like Go to sleep and Scatterbrain.

• Like 1
I'm walking out
In a force ten gale
Birds thrown around
Bullets for hail
The roof is pulling off
By its fingernails
Your voice is rapping
On my window sill
Yesterday's headlines
Blown by the wind
Yesterday's people
End up
Scatterbrain
Then any fool can
Easy pick a hole
('I only with I could fall in')
A moving target
In a firing range
Somewhere I'm not
Scatterbrain
Somewhere I'm not
Scatterbrain
Lighting fuse
Power cut
Scatterbrain

Something for the rag and bone man
Over my dead body
Something big is gonna happen
Over my dead body
Someone's son or someone's daughter
Over my dead body
This is how I end up sucked in
Over my dead body
I'm gonna go to sleep
Let this wash all over me
We don't really want a monster taking over
Tiptoe around, tie him down
We don't want the loonies taking over
Tiptoe around, tie them down
May pretty horses
Come to you
As you sleep
I'm gonna go to sleep
And let this wash all over me

Both those songs are a mix of colloquial phrases and cryptic words reflecting a state of anxiety around that.  Go to sleep is not as good as Scatterbrain from a lyrical standpoint.  Go to sleep is more just the raw technique described above.  Scatterbrain has kinda the same technique but also has a consistent landscape running through the whole thing which makes it more poetic imo

Lightning fuse power cut Scatterbrain...oh yeah totally! You could put that on a hallmark card for sure.  In fact, wasn’t that one of Reagan’s or Thatchers campaign slogans?

im walking out in a force ten gale...again, you’re right! utterly plebeian. Happens every day, right?

Honestly Beacon, the day that any of those lyrics seem cliche is a day you might want to check yourself cus you might be living in full on dystopia.  Which ironically is the whole idea of both those songs.  You can only call them cliche in a bizarro universe where rh switch places with Lawrence Welk and Doris Day

Edited by Girl in the Purple Dress

If yer gonna call either of those songs cliche driven, you can’t really go there without calling post-modernism a cliche.  Which you can make an argument for but, if so, it only just happened like a hot minute ago.  Dated would be a better word and only just.  You could say “im tired of post-modern fragmented cut up photo montage lyrics they’re becoming a cliche” but there goes Thoms day job

Edited by Girl in the Purple Dress
On 11/29/2020 at 2:16 PM, Girl in the Purple Dress said:

They’re  both up.  Now tell me. Where’s the cliche.  I don’t really see it.

Over my dead body

We don't want the loonies taking over

Go to sleep and let this wash all over me

walking out in a force ten gale...Blown by the wind....Power cut

On 11/29/2020 at 2:23 PM, Girl in the Purple Dress said:

I also don’t really think it’s cliche if say “over my dead body” is surrounded by a montage of other images.  Cliche would be more like “ I will not go to war, over my dead body!”

Disagree.

Not every word of the each of these lyrics is cliched, and Scatterbrains are actually a little better than I remembered, but for the guys that gave us the dystopian nightmares and anxiety on stilts on OK Computer this is pretty uninspiring takes on the same thing.

Also - you try too hard. One reply is enough.
  • Like 1