i miss thoms old voice

I’ve not thought about this kind of thing for a long damn time 

my fave thom vocals were everything he did on the 2nd night at Earl’s Court 2003. Amazing performance and he even...shock horror...ad libs a bit!

Studio - gagging order, daydreaming, bodysnatchers 

worst is probably some awful version of The Bends we’d all rather forget about 

Edited by Zane
  • Like 2

Interesting pick on Bodysnatchers for a vocal!  Guess I never think about the vocals on that one so much as how fast that song just seems to blastoff and the roaring guitars.

Sometimes I forget what Thom used to be able to do vocally.  When they released I Promise with OKNOTOK it was like holy shit, oh yeah, he used to sound like that.

Live I can’t go against the two obvious ones that would be Astoria and Paris 2001.  Legendary is legendary.

Studio would have to be optimistic and nude. I like how on optimistic the mic seems far off and angled at capturing his chest voice and how on nude it’s quite opposite.  Tight, close, flawless.

Edited by Girl in the Purple Dress
  • Like 1

Best

Something in the 90s. Even gak like I Promise is elevated by his sonorous voice

Worst

Him muffling his way through live gigs a few year back wasn't as good

Maybe he doesn't like consonants any mo

A reee asti ateri a

Forra ay chi ese ruhheh an

Oh th fay laaassic urf

• Like 1

I was never really a big fan of Thom's power ballad BIG '90s voice (Sulk, The Tourist, etc.) but I think around HTTT / IR era is where he peaked. Nude is a particular vocal highlight for me. Lotus Flower is a song they shouldn't do live because Thom has never sang it well, except maybe those few solo performances of it. Even the FTB performance isn't great. 

2012 tour had some great moments, but the 2016 tour was pretty fucking bad. 2017 was a lot better though - and they dropped Burn The Witch, which Thom also could never sing live. 

• Like 2

You’d think that there must be some kind of contact mic that would allow Thom do the soft intimate head voice over the loud band parts which is what works for the recordings of Lotus Flower and Burn the Witch.  A lot of mumbling bad rappers like lilb could benefit from something like that too. 

Edited by Girl in the Purple Dress
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I mean, it is normal that your voice gets worse when getting older. But with Thom it has gotten worse quicker and sooner that with other artists, no?

You could already hear the change in the 2006 tour. But it was still good then. But since In Rainbows it went downhill quickly. Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Neil Young, ... Their got worse too but not the same like with Thom. Can always get worse though. Bob Dylan for example...

• Like 1

I honestly believe Thom's voice took a turn for the worse in 2004. My first RH show was Hollywood Bowl 2003 night 2, and Thom sounded really great. I was so stoked about them after that show I couldn't wait for the next gig, which was Coachella 2004. I arrived at the campground Friday night and there were rumors circulating that Thom had an infection and there was a strong possibility that the show would get canceled. I was relieved the next day when I saw their purple equipment cases on stage, but once Thom started signing he sounded like utter shit to me. Like someone who had strep throat for 5 days and was trying to belt. I think I remember reading elsewhere he was indeed sick or recovering, and I think there's a chance he damaged his voice at Coachella. Hasn't been the same since that show IMHO.

Edited by Scatterbrain

I think he started getting looser in that 03 tour and just never went back.  It’s basically he doesn’t do warm ups or daily training anymore.  You can tell he’s still doing that in 01.  He’s tight, on pitch -except when he’s intentionally leaning on that slightly flat Billie holiday  thing but even that is kind of controlled and a little calculated. 
but from hail on he seems to reason that his fav band will always be Can anyway and those guys were more about exploration and emotional energy than emulating any kind of sound or benchmark.  
he seems more concerned about being honest and present than executing a method acting performance which I believe is what early Thom is doing a bit.  It’s gotta hurt to try to be Brando all the time up there.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Scatterbrain said:

I honestly believe Thom's voice took a turn for the worse in 2004. My first RH show was Hollywood Bowl 2003 night 2, and Thom sounded really great. I was so stoked about them after that show I couldn't wait for the next gig, which was Coachella 2004. I arrived at the campground Friday night and there were rumors circulating that Thom had an infection and there was a strong possibility that the show would get canceled. I was relieved the next day when I saw their purple equipment cases on stage, but once Thom started signing he sounded like utter shit to me. Like someone who had strep throat for 5 days and was trying to belt. I think I remember reading elsewhere he was indeed sick or recovering, and I think there's a chance he damaged his voice at Coachella. Hasn't been the same since that show IMHO.

He damaged it right before then. During the Aussie leg of the 04 tour. The Melbourne show you can hear him crack and lose his voice terribly. They had to cut an encore  and cancel the following show. 

Edited by PackofSandwiches
  • Like 1