2 hours ago, Fake Chinese Robert Plant said:

I mean in terms of their production style, there absolutely is such a thing as a 1996 piano sound. Listen to that track and compare how it sounds to Karma Police and they’re basically identical. It’s super trebley and recorded (or at least played) in a way where you hear sort of the plunking sound of the piano strings being struck as it’s played. They haven’t really recorded their piano parts like that at all since OK Computer, they’ve always produced it with a much fuller, deeper sound compared to OKC and as it sounds on Man of War. 

As to why they’d do this, who knows. Maybe they just liked how it sounds? It’s just a rejected movie theme and b-side for a reissue after all, it’s not something that’s a final version for one of their albums or whatever of that nature. 

Can you name any other song besides Karma Police to make your point? If not, to me it's like saying "well the snare kinda sorta sounds like the snare on Vegetable so the drum track is definitely from 1993". This was intended for a Bond film, so perhaps that's why they'd go for a more straightforward "cheesy" sound?

1 hour ago, In Portrait said:

You think the band will record the same exact song all over again 20 years later (with the same arrangements from back then)? You guys don't know this band already? 

What's the point on releasing new recorded material when you already have it recorded the EXACT same way and putting it on a 20 anniversary album box set?  

Again, for me they just added the strings to an old take they already had. 

Studio Last Flowers was pretty much the same arrangement it was in the 1997 soundcheck, just with added piano. AMSP's True Love Waits is pretty much along the lines of what they had in mind with the "True Love Tape Loop" thing, but they just couldn't get it quite right. I still think it's much more likely they would stick to an arrangement similar to the 90s version (definitely not the EXACT same, just listen to the period live versions), when we're talking about their "abandoned Bond theme" that was seemingly gathering dust on the pile since 1998.

I really can't see them thinking they could just stick some strings on an old outtake that they never considered good enough for release and submit it as a theme for a major blockbuster.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Radiohead have a long history of clearly and succinctly communicating the band's future intentions.

The spelling is actually "whoops". Educate yourself before posting again please. Unbelievable.

Thanks y'all.  I got lucky and had "good" cancer. Low risk of recurrence. I should have many years ahead of me in which to think back nostalgically about the collagen I used to have.  But as I've

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, no452 said:

Can you name any other song besides Karma Police to make your point? If not, to me it's like saying "well the snare kinda sorta sounds like the snare on Vegetable so the drum track is definitely from 1993". This was intended for a Bond film, so perhaps that's why they'd go for a more straightforward "cheesy" sound?

Studio Last Flowers was pretty much the same arrangement it was in the 1997 soundcheck, just with added piano. AMSP's True Love Waits is pretty much along the lines of what they had in mind with the "True Love Tape Loop" thing, but they just couldn't get it quite right. I still think it's much more likely they would stick to an arrangement similar to the 90s version (definitely not the EXACT same, just listen to the period live versions), when we're talking about their "abandoned Bond theme" that was seemingly gathering dust on the pile since 1998.

I really can't see them thinking they could just stick some strings on an old outtake that they never considered good enough for release and submit it as a theme for a major blockbuster.

I mean no I can’t because the only 2 songs that feature piano from all of the OK Computer/OKNOTOK tracks are only Karma Police and Man of War, but what’s more likely, some convoluted explanation about how they wanted the pianos to sound cheesy for a Bond film so they went out of their way to make it sound exactly like it did on a record from 20 years ago?

or that they just recorded both piano parts around the same sessions, explaining why they sound exactly alike? That seems like a simpler and more likely explanation to me. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Fake Chinese Robert Plant said:

exactly like it did on a record from 20 years ago?

Exactly like it did to your ears.

Seems quite obvious that when you're doing a piano part for an epic guitar-driven Bond theme, you're going to go with a completely different sound than you would for something like Daydreaming.

While we’re talking this anyway, I kind of wonder why they shared Spectre when they did and didn’t also share Man of War at the same time. They were both rejected from the same movie, and it seems like by then they were pretty confident it wasn’t going to make an album anymore given they were willing to use it in a rando Bond movie in 2015. It couldn’t have been because they thought it might be good for AMSP because it would have been nearly finished by then, if not entirely complete already. 

Just now, no452 said:

Exactly like it did to your ears.

Seems quite obvious that when you're doing a piano part for an epic guitar-driven Bond theme, you're going to go with a completely different sound than you would for something like Daydreaming.

man it’s a sound they’ve used like one other time in their whole career, the answer why that would be seems pretty obvious to me. 

this is a pretty dumb and pointless thing to argue about anyway, whatever. 

Look, I'm not saying anything of what's been said thus far is a definite proof of either alternative. I was simply arguing that there is no such thing as 1996 Radiohead piano sound, because you only have one song to make that case. I get what you're saying if you point out that the piano track sounds similar to Karma Police, but there are multiple ways you could arrive at that sort of sound, so claiming that "the piano was definitely recorded back during the OKC sessions" just seemed preposterous.

Edited by no452

I think it's just too hard to gauge their intentions for anything. I Promise had absolute minimal changes in the grand scheme of Radiohead song progressions. Structure, lyrics, chords all stayed pretty stoic. And they demoed it a lot. Why didn't that get a release? It's too hard to know the reasons for them possibly re-recording piano parts of reusing them.

It's a bit like worrying about what that text from a girl means. It's probably not as interesting as either extreme and you'll never find it. Just put it down. Take what you can from the good bits.

12 minutes ago, In Portrait said:

You guys are nuts.... 

They recorded OK COMPUTER and the whole pack of B-Side for OKNOTOK all over again for that matter... I mean, why not? Lol

No, that's not what happened.

But suggesting that after being commissioned to write a Bond theme they would just dig out a 20-year-old outtake and put some strings on top is similarly crazy.

21 minutes ago, no452 said:

No, that's not what happened.

But suggesting that after being commissioned to write a Bond theme they would just dig out a 20-year-old outtake and put some strings on top is similarly crazy.

Of course that never happened...

Yes, I agree with that, but Radiohead is not a band (and you should know this by now) to take an old song from their catalogue and re-record it all over again with the exact arrangement, same riffs from the 90s, same distortion pedal... They evolved since then m8, come on.. On the other hand, why would they even shelf it for so long if the arrangement was fine in the first place? A lot of Bond movies were filmed since the 90s, they were obviously never satisfied with the arrangement or whatever... 

My assumptions are 1. They recorded a different version we never heard of 2. MoW was never recorded for that particular 2015 session (which makes sense to me, and that "source" claiming they did is bullshitting hard) 

Edited by In Portrait
11 minutes ago, In Portrait said:

MoW was never recorded for that particular 2015 session (which makes sense to me, and that "source" claiming they did is bullshitting hard) 

To clarify, there is actually no source out there making claims about exactly when Man of War was recorded - or if there is I'd like to see it.

But we know at least some (and maybe all) of it is new, because:

• Sam Petts Davis (producer of Suspiria) is credited for engineering, and he would have been five years old or something in 1997.
  • The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Robert Ziegler, is credited for strings. Ziegler tweeted photos of the band working with the orchestra in 2015. You can see Sam in the photos. Ziegler deleted the photos shortly after, presumably after Nigel threatened to bulldoze his home.
  • Ziegler and the Philharmonic Orchestra aren't credited for anything on AMSP. Since Spectre was released as part of the AMSP special edition you'd think they would have been credited for that if they'd done the Spectre session too, but they weren't so presumably they didn't. It seems likely that the sessions with Ziegler were therefore for Man of War, and that the strings at least were recorded in 2015.
Edited by Duff
24 minutes ago, Duff said:

To clarify, there is actually no source out there making claims about exactly when Man of War was recorded - or if there is I'd like to see it.

But we know at least some (and maybe all) of it is new, because:

• Sam Petts Davis (producer of Suspiria) is credited for engineering, and he would have been five years old or something in 1997.
  • The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Robert Ziegler, is credited for strings. Ziegler tweeted photos of the band working with the orchestra in 2015. You can see Sam in the photos. Ziegler deleted the photos shortly after, presumably after Nigel threatened to bulldoze his home.
  • Ziegler and the Philharmonic Orchestra aren't credited for anything on AMSP. Since Spectre was released as part of the AMSP special edition you'd think they would have been credited for that if they'd done the Spectre session too, but they weren't so presumably they didn't. It seems likely that the sessions with Ziegler were therefore for Man of War, and that the strings at least were recorded in 2015.

Good points.

Strings, yes but not an entire song, and as I said, if they did its not the exact version. But OK... I'm done with this topic for today. 

Edited by In Portrait
30 minutes ago, In Portrait said:

Radiohead is not a band (and you should know this by now) to take an old song from their catalogue and re-record it all over again with the exact arrangement, same riffs from the 90s, same distortion pedal... 

I think we've been through this before. If you think it's the exact same arrangement, you need to listen to some of those bootlegs again. Sure, the song didn't evolve all that much when compared to some of the others, but that makes perfect sense as it was hardly ever played after 1995 (exactly once, if I'm not mistaken).

Is there anyone out there who is completely satisfied with Man of War, anyway? Is there anyone who puts it on every day and gets the shivers?

I think it's a rather damp squib, but I never liked the song much in the first place.

Edited by Duff

Sam Petts-Davies, the silly fuckin little Welsh git, seems to be extremely chummy with Nige. Guess he's seen him as some sort of protegé. He's been hanging around with him for a while, posting photos, that sort of thing for quite some time. It's probable he's just been following Nigel around like a pathetic lap dog and thus the production credits over a six, 18, 24-month period.

He also produced for Frank Ocean. Probably sounds more impressive than it is considering how much that album cost and the flying in and out, constant collaboration on it.

He's also about 27 and was working with Radiohead when he was my age.

Kind of inexcusable and his sad little website just needs him boasting about his A-level scores to top it off.

11 minutes ago, Duff said:

Yeah and Colin is well annoying to boot.

No wonder he has to hang around provincial bands from like, Worcester, who probably studied in like, Coventry, who don't even get a day off to enjoy Glastonbury before going to some second-rate Polish festival. He probably loves the ego boosts. Sitting around in one of two minivans with a provincial lager going 'yeah well the funny thing about that one is... I was there when Thom wrote it, and if it was up to him it would've sounded like... like this... but I told him not to.' 'Wow Col, that's amazing.'

48 minutes ago, Duff said:

Is there anyone out there who is completely satisfied with Man of War, anyway? Is there anyone who puts it on every day and gets the shivers?

I think it's a rather damp squib, but I never liked the song much in the first place.

I don't put it on every day or anything but it's been a favorite of mine ever since I first heard it like 20 years ago. And I think the studio version is excellent.

1 hour ago, Black Jesus said:

I don't put it on every day or anything but it's been a favorite of mine ever since I first heard it like 20 years ago. And I think the studio version is excellent.

Really don’t like it myself seems to have lost all of it’s swagger. My favourite performance even though it’s rough as hell is the 2002 one. Thoms voice is so good on it. 

• Like 2