Jump to content

This Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread - Radiohead Edition


hysterical.useless
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 11/20/2018 at 11:52 PM, hysterical.useless said:

I didn't know that "True Love Waits" was originally written about the obsessive Japanese fandom.

I'm not convinced he's right on that one. VPC has a lot of really good info but he can never provide sources for anything - including for that claim (I asked) - and sometimes I think he's just a bit confused. He's been completely wrong on a few points before.

Not to knock him, of course. His is a Great Radiohead Mind.

Edited by Duff
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2018 at 10:49 PM, Duff said:

I'm not convinced he's right on that one. VPC has a lot of really good info but he can never provide sources for anything - including for that claim (I asked) - and sometimes I think he's just a bit confused. He's been completely wrong on a few points before.

Not to knock him, of course. His is a Great Radiohead Mind.

I've heard him make references to having met the band and conversed with them on some points, but yeah, it's sometimes difficult to know when he's making a conjecture. Like what he says about "House of Cards" - I've only ever heard him say it's about the novel The Ice Storm, but he says it like it's a confirmed thing (maybe it is; I don't recall Thom talking about it).

Speaking of VPC, I was recently chatting with him and he sent me this version of "True Love Waits" which I had never heard before and is truly remarkable - the closest thing I've ever heard to a OKC-era studio take of this track. I'll let you guys guess where it comes from. :classic_happy:

 

True Love Waits.mp3

Edited by hysterical.useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hysterical.useless said:

this version of "True Love Waits" which I had never heard before and is truly remarkable - the closest thing I've ever heard to a OKC-era studio take of this track. I'll let you guys guess where it comes from. :classic_happy:

 Also interesting to compare with the White Cassette OKNOTOK version of TLW.  (Just did.)  I can't identify the source from a single listen.  I don't think it's from Devilhood though IMBW 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hysterical.useless said:

I've heard him make references to having met the band and conversed with them on some points, but yeah, it's sometimes difficult to know when he's making a conjecture. Like what he says about "House of Cards" - I've only ever heard him say it's about the novel The Ice Storm, but he says it like it's a confirmed thing (maybe it is; I don't recall Thom talking about it).

I asked him about that recently too, and he says Thom confirmed it in an interview. No amount of searching can produce this interview though. It's definitely possible it exists, but I've caught VPC misremembering stuff or sometimes just being outright wrong on a couple of recent occasions...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Duff said:

That True Love Waits is just an old fan edit and it makes me cringe to the max. It's the most obvious, literal-minded, unimaginative rendering of the song, the kind of thing that Radiohead have made a career of not doing.

According to VPC, the edit was a collab between himself and another old atease member. I wasn’t aware that it was on YouTube all this time - ha. And here I thought I was sharing some ultra-rare thing. :classic_sleep:

I think you’re being too harsh in your critique, but I do think the straightforward-ness of this kind of take is the reason they didn’t end up recording it during that era. Similar to “Lift” in that regard. For the record, I adore the AMSP version and it’s still my favorite of all the TLW recordings, but barring an actual studio outtake from the OKC era I think this is the best take on the old TLW.

VPC also said that the band has heard this version and love it, though gave no context beyond this. A running trend. :classic_laugh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The second biggest tragedy is that 4 Minute Warning is four minutes and four seconds long.

It begins with a big lovely wash of synth noise, of which four seconds could easily be edited. What a shame. It could have been a good song.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2018 at 12:34 AM, hysterical.useless said:

According to VPC, the edit was a collab between himself and another old atease member.

The un-VPC TLW audio from that gig came up on a playlist in the car this weekend --doh!  At least we don't take things too seriously.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

A new investigation is beginning regarding the stage collapse in Toronto from 2012. 

https://pitchfork.com/news/radiohead-stage-collapse-new-investigation-to-begin-in-march/

 

Edit: No, I don't work for pitchfork. The fact that the last two posts here are me linking to their page is just a sign of how dead this place has become lately.

Edited by PackofSandwiches
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I've decided that the "one daaay at a tiiiiime" bit in The Numbers is my least ever favourite bit of Radiohead (discounting everything before they became a good band with OKC). It's such a weak, weak, weak melody. Such an energy drop.

 

it reminds me of another weak Radiohead moment : “the worms will come for you” in Man of War. Just a sort of bland ascending thing that thinks it’s dramatic but isn’t.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...