Jump to content

This Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread - Radiohead Edition


hysterical.useless
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anyone remember the interview where Thom said something like "We had no idea what to do with that one. And so we stepped out and Nigel I guess just pieced all this shit together while we were out and we came back and he had the whole thing figured out."

Did I make that up? I swear Thom said something like that in an interview. And this isn't the same as the one as "We stepped out and Jonny (or whoever) stripped everything from Videotape and we realized that was the best version".

Trying to remember what song he was talking about that Nigel saved basically. Or maybe it was a whole album or something, like Kid A or HTTT. Where they had a bunch of stuff and then Nigel found all the good bits or something.

Edited by Musickiksreal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Musickiksreal said:

Anyone remember the interview where Thom said something like "We had no idea what to do with that one. And so we stepped out and Nigel I guess just pieced all this shit together while we were out and we came back and he had the whole thing figured out."

Did I make that up? I swear Thom said something like that in an interview. And this isn't the same as the one as "We stepped out and Jonny (or whoever) stripped everything from Videotape and we realized that was the best version".

Trying to remember what song he was talking about that Nigel saved basically. Or maybe it was a whole album or something, like Kid A or HTTT. Where they had a bunch of stuff and then Nigel found all the good bits or something.

There are some comments about Nigel basically pulling together A Moon Shaped Pool in a Rolling Stone article. But they come from him not Thom. Not sure if that's what you're after.

Quote

 

11. Nigel Godrich basically finished the album on his own.
“With Radiohead, people always say, ‘Oh, it’s much better live,'” says Godrich. “But this record didn’t exist before it was created in the studio. Thom just doesn’t work like he used to. He will write a song, or a piece of the song, and the idea is the last part of it is developed with everyone’s input. If the focus isn’t there, then it has to be my job to make it happen. I just have to do whatever it takes, which makes me unpopular because I’m like, ‘Okay, this is how we’re going to do it. This is where this happens. You’re going to change to that bit there.’

“At first, there was nothing happening, and I had to find a way of making that record,” he continues. “One of them is just that it’s all recorded on 8-track tape, except for three songs that were recorded using 24-track tape loops. I did that to bring everything together and keep them focused. Because otherwise it wouldn’t have happened … In the end, we went to a residential studio in the south of France for three weeks and then I went off and I just put it all together myself.”

 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/19-things-we-learned-hanging-out-with-radiohead-202080/

Edited by MarkGrace
Adding quote
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That Nigel is out hero. Yes.

But there's exagerration in his bitchiness; I'm sure he feels like the only adult in the place but they have to be focused—sometimes...

Because I hear a focused band on AMSP. The previous LP sounded more "fabricated", yes. But that's their thing. (Nigel is Radiohead.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, MarkGrace said:

There are some comments about Nigel basically pulling together A Moon Shaped Pool in a Rolling Stone article. But they come from him not Thom. Not sure if that's what you're after.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/19-things-we-learned-hanging-out-with-radiohead-202080/

Hahaha, I think that's it. Crazy stuff! Thanks MarkGrace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but are there any other hubshares out there for other artists that are similar to the radiohub?

 

Radiohub has been unbelievable but I was hoping to find some additional live recordings from other artists but not quite sure how to go about finding them on Shakespeer. I tried searching for a number of other hubs but all links I found were from the early 2000's and no longer active.

 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, SElmann90 said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but are there any other hubshares out there for other artists that are similar to the radiohub?

 

Radiohub has been unbelievable but I was hoping to find some additional live recordings from other artists but not quite sure how to go about finding them on Shakespeer. I tried searching for a number of other hubs but all links I found were from the early 2000's and no longer active.

 

Any help would be much appreciated!

i can help u get elliott smith live recordings. just say the word and i will have links and my suggestions of his best shows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Staircase literally just came on after I searched and played Cymbal Rush.

Didn't recognize it at all, other than it being a song I knew I'd heard. I was like "...is this Thom solo? Maybe Radiohead? No...Atoms For Peace. Yeah, Atoms For Peace." Then the vocals came in and I was like "Ooooohhh."

Yeah, still not a fan.

Edited by Musickiksreal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Musickiksreal said:

Staircase literally just came on after I searched and played Cymbal Rush.

Didn't recognize it at all, other than it being a song I knew I'd heard. I was like "...is this Thom solo? Maybe Radiohead? No...Atoms For Peace. Yeah, Atoms For Peace." Then the vocals came in and I was like "Ooooohhh."

Yeah, still not a fan.

Too bad, really good song!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Musickiksreal said:

Staircase literally just came on after I searched and played Cymbal Rush.

Didn't recognize it at all, other than it being a song I knew I'd heard. I was like "...is this Thom solo? Maybe Radiohead? No...Atoms For Peace. Yeah, Atoms For Peace." Then the vocals came in and I was like "Ooooohhh."

Yeah, still not a fan.

Well it is a live recording with an absence of glue (as you have described a few years ago on atease)

https://instaud.io/_/3Xn5.mp3

^^ this here is not a "good mix" whatsoever, but, it is still opening my own ears to new aspects of the song to love, and i had found it to be one of my favorites from the very first time!! 

( -17 db -> EQ boosting some lows a little, then upper mids and all highs quite a bit -> audacity fast overdrive +2.8 twice )

I do regret adding the overdrive, except that, the feeling of hearing very loud sounds is exhilarating and seems to activate the mind and body in certain ways that lower volume sounds cannot, and, when it is the sounds that combine into an entrancing musical work the effect is exponential in numerous ways!  The overdrive carries with it the aural signature of a sound that is happening loudly enough to fill up and blend in the space in characteristic ways.  I am thinking about dynamics being lost, and, any song will come alive in new ways when the baseline dynamics are switched from a small river to an open ocean, and the actual true mix always exists!!  It is what takes the drums from sounding complex and fascinating, to bringing them up front to relentlessly drive the song, I feel like i had not yet been fully appreciating Phil and Clive's work in this performance!!  

Edited by duaessences as clay become
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Let's talk about how great and underrated Banana Co and India Rubber are.


From their production to melodies to vocal performance, they're just very very lovely. At least we have a few videos of Banana Co live, nothing of India Rubber, unless there's a live audio version floating around somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Banana Co was amazing live. I remember how Jonnys guitar solo with the phaser was like a space ship taking off in 93. One of the moments that in a live show that previewed what radiohead could become. As a 17 year old kid hearing that song in a small ass club was just mind blowing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Radiohead even though they had 3 guitars players use to talk about how they were anti guitar solos in their song writing. While PH has some interesting guitar work for 1992/93, I think banana co is really the 1st time we hear a major solo by Jonny and listening to a couple bootlegs from 1993 shows it does have a very okc style Jonny sound to it. 

 

Again it was a song I think I got to hear live  twice and it was just one of those songs that you can look back on and see the roots of what they could become. Much more so than thinking about you. And it was a b side that they still played live into the okc tour and (too lazy to check setlistfm) was even played post 2000?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...