This Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread - Radiohead Edition

hysterical.useless

"Forensic analysis of the stage collapse attributed its primary cause to crushing of the pick-up trusses. The stage roof grid was not strong enough to bear the load of lights, screens and speakers, which weighed roughly 34,473 kilograms (or 76,000 pounds)."  

"[F]ormer Optex employees testified that they put the stage up despite the fact that the particular truss component called for in the design was never in the company's inventory. The drawings indicated the pick-up trusses should have been 10 feet long with a 3-inch diameter. The pick-up trusses installed in the Downsview Park stage were 7 feet long with a 1.9-inch diameter.  The inquest heard the trusses with the 3-inch diameter never existed — and other sized trusses were used for decades when the stage was constructed for dozens of events."

Not sure this helps with the loss, but it does explain what happened.  source

41 minutes ago, Duff said:

I think the 15 Step lighting setup cira TKOL, where it looked like they were in an office with the panels over them, was the coolest stage setup I've ever seen. Shame we'll never see that again as it's too lethal.

That was indeed an amazing setup. Gets overshadowed  too often by the In Rainbows stage (still my favourite) but it looked brilliant.

1 hour ago, MarkGrace said:

Duff, what else do you listen to besides Radiohead?

People on other forums ask me the same thing. But about different bands.

edit: fuck it. Resisted posting this for ages because it's a bullshit bad-faith you-can't-win question. But my other obsessions include Weezer, Pink Floyd, Neutral Milk Hotel, Muse and Michael Jackson. Those aren't necessarily even my favourites, but the ones I find richest to study, often for their failings as much as their triumphs.

Edited by Duff

1 hour ago, Duff said:

People on other forums ask me the same thing. But about different bands.

edit: fuck it. Resisted posting this for ages because it's a bullshit bad-faith you-can't-win question. But my other obsessions include Weezer, Pink Floyd, Neutral Milk Hotel, Muse and Michael Jackson. Those aren't necessarily even my favourites, but the ones I find richest to study, often for their failings as much as their triumphs.

Was just curious.  Have never really seen you talk about much in the general music forums, and based on the number of random observations you make about Radiohead-related things it just sometimes feels like you must be listening to them all the time.

11 minutes ago, MarkGrace said:

Was just curious.  Have never really seen you talk about much in the general music forums, and based on the number of random observations you make about Radiohead-related things it just sometimes feels like you must be listening to them all the time.

I listen to probably seven or eight hours of music a day, headphones on, without exaggeration, and I'm a very attentive listener. That probably includes about 10% Radiohead. They're a good band imo.

General is a waste of time. Nothing is more boring to me than talking about music in general. Go specific, go deep, or go home.

If you think me posting small Radiohead observations in this thread is pushing it, think of the response I'd get for doing the same thing about a Pinkerton B-side in General. Those go somewhere else.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

Speaking of people who listen to Radiohead too much, I've met OAS (the Japanese Radiohead cover band) a few times, and once after a show Starman came on the PA. I said "Oh, it's a shame about Bowie, huh," to Japanese Jonny Greenwood. He'd never heard of him.

On another occasion I asked Japanese Colin what other stuff she listened to and she said "only Radiohead".

Snippets:

"It's all about the sound. It's emotional."

"And the great thing about being in RH is there's an appetite for making really weird noises.  And how you shoehorn those into a track.  The weirder the better."

"It's not rocket science.  Bits of gear are really important."

"Trying to be cool was more important than practicing."

"I just finished making a record myself.  16:42"

"What is the truth here, which means what are you feeling."

"Stop the brain engaging."

"It's all about servicing the song." (Talking about how you might not play on a track, and it makes you insecure and feels shit.)

"You gotta fly by the seat of your pants, otherwise you're like a jukebox." (Talking about creating loops/segments in real time on stage.)

And Ed mentions XTC.  Only 25 minutes into the listen.  (There goes my morning.) But I could listen to him ALL DAY. 

3 hours ago, booger bear said:

Holy hell Bryce Knows how to speak French?  

Yep.   Although he's "based in Paris", his accent is a mix of Ohio/Brooklyn when speaking French, so it sounds like an American speaking a second language.  Which it is.  It's easier to translate than native speakers.  I was lost listening to the Labeque sisters interview.  

Edited by thatthere

On 4/5/2019 at 10:35 AM, Duff said:

Speaking of people who listen to Radiohead too much, I've met OAS (the Japanese Radiohead cover band) a few times, and once after a show Starman came on the PA. I said "Oh, it's a shame about Bowie, huh," to Japanese Jonny Greenwood. He'd never heard of him.

On another occasion I asked Japanese Colin what other stuff she listened to and she said "only Radiohead".

This is the impression I've had following one of them on Twitter. They never post about anything non-Radiohead related. It's a level of obsession I've not seen in any other context.