Scatterbrain

Best of r/radiohead

9 hours ago, hysterical.useless said:

By which I mean, an adult should know there is virtually no comparison between opera and pop music. Not being able to understand lyrics does not make something opera-like.

It’s a bad comparison. But it does tug at the debate what’s more important good words or melody. Thom gets away with a lot cause he can vocialize a word or sound into the melody almost like an instrument than signing it “properly” so you know what the words are. 

For years pre internet, we didn’t know the half the fucking words he was singing to songs. It’s was so bad my group of friends that were all into Radiohead in 93-97 era would just make up our own bad versions of songs lyrics and even to stuff we could hear  

Like “blame it on the black guy” for black star

”sometimes you suck” for sulk 

“I wish I was Gary proof” for bullet proof. 

Not really why we did it, but just examples of us having fun with the nonsense of how you had a hard time figuring out what thom was singing all the time. 

Edited by Robjonas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s true that Thom is hard to understand, and it’s very easy to mistake what he’s actually saying even when it seems to be clear (e.g., thinking for 20 years he was saying “a smell of recognition / a face you barely loved”). I wrote a long, belabored post about this on the old atease that is now lost to oblivion. I mused on whether Thom did this intentionally in order to allow for multiple readings of a song (e.g., allowing Glass Eyes to either say “I feel this love to the core” or “I feel this love turn cold” because of the way he slurred the words).

i just took umbrage with the opera comparison.

English is not my primary language so it is even more difficult to understand thom most of the time. I gave up trying to understand him years ago.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:51 PM, alberto said:

Don’t forget the follow up post where this user is surprised to find a poster inside...because apparently no RADIOHEAD FANS on the RADIOHEAD REDDIT KNEW(?). 

CE8E4AC8-E4C4-42D0-9CC1-BE537A2578C5.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2018 at 3:53 AM, hysterical.useless said:

It’s true that Thom is hard to understand, and it’s very easy to mistake what he’s actually saying even when it seems to be clear (e.g., thinking for 20 years he was saying “a smell of recognition / a face you barely loved”). I wrote a long, belabored post about this on the old atease that is now lost to oblivion. I mused on whether Thom did this intentionally in order to allow for multiple readings of a song (e.g., allowing Glass Eyes to either say “I feel this love to the core” or “I feel this love turn cold” because of the way he slurred the words).

He definitely sometimes sings wordless gibberish. Dollars and Cents is the best example - there's a quote where he says "the lyrics are gibberish" and I don't think many people realise he was being literal.

Yes, a lot of Thom's lyrics are nonsense, which is a big reason I don't listen to Radiohead much for the lyrics (though there are exceptions, of course, like the few examples I outlined in your lyrics thread).

I think the difference with atease members vs Reddit, is that more atease members seem to have some sort of musical training, education, played an instrument, played in band, trying to make a jazz record in their bed room, etc. 

so for someone with no musician training to compare thom to opera singer isn’t something I find too far off if you have zero musical training. 

• Like 1

Since the tour ended Reddit is getting a little unhinged. Damn they need to learn how to google basic information. 

20YOKfH.png

Excerpt from video: "The first time you watch it, you get the sense that like an iceberg, much of its weight lies beneath the surface, but if you were willing to take a pickaxe to its icy shell, you would find that beneath its core, there is a warm, beating heart, even if that heart may be broken."

Edited by Duff

Any time I feel the need to discourage someone from listening to Radiohead, I just show them this video - a 15 minute analysis of a 6 minute song that is sure to leave them confused and bored.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, hysterical.useless said:

Any time I feel the need to discourage someone from listening to Radiohead, I just show them this video - a 15 minute analysis of a 6 minute song that is sure to leave them confused and bored.

All videos like that never actually introduce people to the band, they're just there to make fans feel happy.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2018 at 12:44 AM, hysterical.useless said:

Yes, a lot of Thom's lyrics are nonsense, which is a big reason I don't listen to Radiohead much for the lyrics (though there are exceptions, of course, like the few examples I outlined in your lyrics thread).

Thom doesn't strike me as someone who sings nonsense, given his meticulous and perfectionist attitude. I think cryptic would be the correct word to describe them. Certainly cryptic enough that some lyrics are almost completely ambiguous. He has a good balance, because some DO HAVE emotional transparency and a lot of beautiful visual cues... Bullet Proof, TLW, How Can You Be Sure?, Nude, Let Down etc..

6 hours ago, devilhood said:

Thom doesn't strike me as someone who sings nonsense, given his meticulous and perfectionist attitude.

He literally does this on at least one song (Dollars and Cents).

Of course, singing nonsense creates its own effect, just as singing words.

27 minutes ago, Duff said:

He literally does this on at least one song (Dollars and Cents).

Of course, singing nonsense creates its own effect, just as singing words.

It's a good read https://genius.com/Radiohead-dollars-and-cents-lyrics

I'm really glad you brought that one up, because it's the one song where his lyrics on the studio recording are almost like trying to hear words in a dream.

Someone wrote a decent interpretation of the lyrics below too!

Genius.com is not a reliable source for lyrics. To restate, Thom said he sang gibberish on Dollars and Cents.

• Like 1