Scatterbrain

Best of r/radiohead

On 7/15/2018 at 1:42 AM, booger bear said:

I got off the subway blasting Climbing Up The Walls and walked into the pouring rain. I wept as I walked to my apartment, arms wide apart. These last two nights have changed every single fiber of my being.

What the hell does all this even mean? Is that supposed to be deep or emotional? I don't get it.

10 hours ago, absay said:

I've seen at least one post of a OKC CD with the title "the beginning of a wonderful collection" or something along those lines. Not even a special edition or packaging, just a plain regular CD jewel case edition.

Photos of line-waiters seems to be where it is at now though.

Ridiculous. 

10 hours ago, section 917 said:

Ppl just wanna feel special*

This is exactly it. People just want to belong to something. Also remember that people under the age of 25 didn't grow up buying CDs or even tapes/LPs the way many of us 30- and 40-somethings did. They might look at them completely differently and think it's "neat" to collect them. They aren't even aware that there's a special edition, most likely.

11 minutes ago, hysterical.useless said:

Re: TKOL

tkol.PNG

So much love for PH and TKOL over there, not that there's anything wrong with it

Posted (edited)

Feral is one of the worst tracks on any of their LPs including Pablo Honey.  Just ew.  

Edited by booger bear

One disturbing thing is that all these overblown descriptions of listening experiences, album appreciation or just about any long paragraph in the subreddit is written in exactly the same annoying style. Same adjectives, same overblown metaphors, same over-the-top sentimentality, same tired turns of phrase and idioms.

1 hour ago, Twist said:

:classic_huh:

Oh no. 

Its hard at times cause part of me wants to troll the dumbass, asked a million times over questions. Than I think of how bad a rep we have on young blood. But I just feel that a majority of reddit posters are very young. Or just posting cause Radiohead is the hot summer ticket. Next summer they will be posting in the reddit for the killers or some shit. 

being young is not an excuse. There are (or were) plenty of young at easers. The difference is that at ease was founded at a time when bootlegs, b-sides, and tour info where not readily available anywhere else on the internet. Participation on an internet forum about the band was far less common among casual fans. You were probably a hardcore fan if you were here getting b-sides and bootlegs. 

reddit seems to enable the kind of hysterical, unnecessary fanboys and dumb, casual fans that would have never been tolerated here. This place was full of knowledgeable, seasoned fans, so asking stupid questions or waxing on about your radiohead devotion made you seem lazy and juvenile. It happened, but you would totally be judged for it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nkased said:

being young is not an excuse. There are (or were) plenty of young at easers. The difference is that at ease was founded at a time when bootlegs, b-sides, and tour info where not readily available anywhere else on the internet. Participation on an internet forum about the band was far less common among casual fans. You were probably a hardcore fan if you were here getting b-sides and bootlegs. 

reddit seems to enable the kind of hysterical, unnecessary fanboys and dumb, casual fans that would have never been tolerated here. This place was full of knowledgeable, seasoned fans, so asking stupid questions or waxing on about your radiohead devotion made you seem lazy and juvenile. It happened, but you would totally be judged for it.

Pretty sure it's a troll.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Grunthos The Flatulent said:

Pretty sure it's a troll.

Probably. I guess maybe I’ve spent too much time on Reddit recently and seen too many awful posts to know the difference. I honestly hope it’s a troll, but I have read many equally abhorrent posts by people that were actually being serious. I suppose it’s even more sad that a ridiculous troll post just seems par for the course on reddit.

Edited by nkased

2 minutes ago, booger bear said:

People get some horrible Radiohead tattoos there too.  

Well that's hardly exclusive to Radiohead, it's like people have forgotten they're going to be seventy one day. 

It's certainly no more cringey than those "deep and meaningful" Yiddish and Chinese tattoos that actually say "pork balls $5 a dozen". 

14 minutes ago, Grunthos The Flatulent said:

Well that's hardly exclusive to Radiohead, it's like people have forgotten they're going to be seventy one day. 

It's certainly no more cringey than those "deep and meaningful" Yiddish and Chinese tattoos that actually say "pork balls $5 a dozen". 

And it’s the young ones too. There was a ridiculous number of people with tattoos at the MSG shows. I swear at least 50% of the people around me in GA had bad tattoos. Then again, these were the same people that thought queuing in new york summer weather was a good idea. Only an idiot would queue all day when it’s 90 degrees and humid just to be two feet closer to the stage

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, nkased said:

And it’s the young ones too. There was a ridiculous number of people with tattoos at the MSG shows. I swear at least 50% of the people around me in GA had bad tattoos. Then again, these were the same people that thought queuing in new york summer weather was a good idea. Only an idiot would queue all day when it’s 90 degrees and humid just to be two feet closer to the stage

It's not like in my day when "Radiohead gig" meant £7 tickets on the door and venues so small it wasn't worth queuing. 

And people had sensible tattoos of anchors and their kids' names. You only met people with more than three tattoos at the circus.

And you could leave your door unlocked, ride the bus into town, have a full English, catch the top comedian at the Variety Theatre, ride the cable car, pay someone to fuddle-duddle with your whatyacallems and still have change from a shilling. 

And don't get me started on the music, all thump thump thump nowadays, no tune to it. 

Edited by Grunthos The Flatulent
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, booger bear said:

nkased in this thread

Image result for get off my lawn gif

Not really. I’m a nerd and queue sometimes. I’ve also considered a tattoo. But it was literally unbearable and I seriously would have fainted trying to queue in that weather. And showing off generic, poorly done tattoos is always tacky, even worse when it’s a radiohead tattoo at a radiohead show. I’m not being condescending; I feel bad that they don’t know better than to get a bad neck tattoo at such a young age. 

• Like 1

I feel like at times reddit users are getting reddit and google mixed up. Like instead of googling or using the search feature they just ask the same question over and over or make the same dumb obersavtion over and over. 

Also a lot more personal gossip. One of the things I always respected about atease was the separation between band and personal lives. Even after AMSP where the lines were so blurred, we never went down the rabbit hole of their personal lives, posting photos of them and their family in personal settings seems to be ok over there and kinda weird. Even posting photos of them leaving their hotel is just kinda rude. Now if you get a video of thom or Colin addressing fans and giving out band information that news worthy ok. Just random shots of them trying to get into a van to get to the show is just rude, unless they engage with the fans. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh, you obviously didn't know about Thom's threesome with Christopher O'Riley's wife in Toronto....that thread created by her was fun until it got deleted.  But now we don't have mods so we can freely talk about it.  

Edited by booger bear