Sign in to follow this  
mr. mojo risin'

Do you have more faith in Radiohead's judgment after listening to the minidiscs

Posted (edited)

Can you believe how many fuckers there were in '97 who were like, "ah, yes, this singer/songwriter bullshit that's been done dozens of times before by the same goddamn artist; this right here, Time Out of Mind, AOTY right here."

Edited by hysterical.useless

It’s maybe my least favourite track off OKC but it’s still somehow essential.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hysterical.useless said:

Can you believe how many fuckers there were in '97 who were like, "ah, yes, this singer/songwriter bullshit that's been done dozens of times before by the same goddamn artist; this right here, Time Out of Mind, AOTY right here."

shut your fucking trap.

1 minute ago, omensetter said:

Subterranean Homesick Alien kicks the shit out of Subterranean Homesick Blues. 

hmm. no. sorry. 😕

it's alright ma is better than every single radiohead song. homesick blues is.... also better than most, if not all, radiohead songs.

• Haha 2

gotta say i'm more interested than ever to get a glimpse at the Kid A/Amnesiac sessions because I can't imagine imagine taking the crazy amount of material and weird experiments they had their hands on in that period and trimming it down to Kid A's track listing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omensetter said:

gotta say i'm more interested than ever to get a glimpse at the Kid A/Amnesiac sessions because I can't imagine imagine taking the crazy amount of material and weird experiments they had their hands on in that period and trimming it down to Kid A's track listing

Agree. The mini discs are much more conventional guitars, base, drums, etc. The kid A / Amnesiac stuff was a complete departure. Thinking about Ed's diaries and all the information we now have on those sessions there are bound to be wildly different version of the songs we know today. 

Regards their judgement, the proof is in the pudding. Ok Computer is an excellent album (and I love electioneering!). What this discs don't show is the tinkering done in the recording and arranging the songs. It's a different process then jamming an idea out in a rehearsal scenario. 

They haven't always got it right, but we hold Radiohead, as they do themselves, to an extremely high standard. Maybe we shouldn't be so critical and just happy with what we have. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Imagine the versions they have of Kid A, the tune

smetimes I think the title track is their crowning achievement 

Edited by Zane

I would kill for a live in-studio take of Kid A. Such a great arrangement

6 hours ago, Zane said:

Imagine the versions they have of Kid A, the tune

smetimes I think the title track is their crowning achievement 

Still my favorite track of theirs to this day.

6 hours ago, fabri said:

I would kill for a live in-studio take of Kid A. Such a great arrangement

The Berlin 2000 version I think is my favourite ever recording by them. Just pure joy. 

• Like 2

just wait til you hear the kid a versions of an album that was basically OKC 2.0!

On 6/18/2019 at 9:32 PM, hysterical.useless said:

None of those were in any way "ruined".

Maybe not “ruined” but definitively way f-ing worse 

On 6/18/2019 at 4:37 PM, Skehan said:

Keep in mind that this was only a small snippet, relatively, of all the OKC sessions. We have no idea what else they were working on during that time. 

Exactly. These minidiscs aren't their complete sessions. And many of them haven't been mixed or mastered. I think the only thing it shows is that they don't settle and are constantly fiddling with their songs. They may have other studio versions of songs from that period, such as Nude for instance, that are brilliant in their own way.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:13 PM, Fuzzyste said:

The Berlin 2000 version I think is my favourite ever recording by them. Just pure joy. 

Same, I completely agree. That whole show is tops, but Kid A is the top of the top.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:08 PM, appearcomposed said:

this is now a bob dylan thread because he's a better songwriter than thom yorke

but only marginally