Sign in to follow this  
Zane

What are your highlights of the leak?

Stunning comment. I'm leaving, but I'll remember that - it's good to see wisdom out here, in superfan land

Take care Bunker, you're one of the good ones, and I've saved your list to Notepad for my own perusal - hopefully you take that as the compliment it is 🙂

I can't believe this original version of Last Flowers. Jonny absolutely shredding, completely different choruses... I mean WHAT?! This is so fun

10 hours ago, bunker_underground said:

Thanks. I dove in hard and took notes as I went along.

I agree with your earlier comments about how this shows how good they are at editing and being discerning with regard to their songs, melodies, tones, style, etc ... editing and perspective may be Radiohead's best skill. That was my big takeaway. They're obviously geniuses, but the true genius might be their ability to hone in on the best of what they've created and make it as good as can be. I would say that the cream definitely rose to the top for the OK Computer material. That said, a lot of this stuff is pure gold to someone like me who loves to speculate about and learn from their creative process. I hope they're at peace with the leak.

I imagine that is why recording is (used to be?) so stressful for them. It must be super hard to hold yourself to an aesthetic in such a way that you throw away perfectly serviceable and quite OK material in the name of what you perceive as “going forward”. I imagine the Kid A session archives are filled with lots of songs and versions of songs that would’ve been fine and even great in an “OK Computer 2”. Follow me around comes to mind.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Glitchd said:

That song about anorexia is pretty fun

Wait where?

18 hours ago, First Against the Wall said:

Tomorrow Night in Paris from end of Disc 17 is a treasure.   I seriously can't believe this wasn't resurrected at some point.

It is very nice but I think there's a reason it wasn't included: typical Radiohead stinginess (not that I disagree with it – I'd be the absolute same in a band) in that they want to make another go of it. They might be trying it every album.

Wait where?

Tomorrow Night in Paris from end of Disc 17 is a treasure.   I seriously can't believe this wasn't resurrected at some point.

It is very nice but I think there's a reason it wasn't included: typical Radiohead stinginess (not that I disagree with it – I'd be the absolute same in a band) in that they want to make another go of it. They might be trying it every album.

Wait where?

These full-band funk jam at the end of disc 7 is blowing my mind right now. Other than Thom's easily-recognizable voice, I never would have guessed that it was Radiohead playing, if someone played it for me and didn't tell me what it was. Super funky and super fun.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:13 AM, tiban said:

I think one of the best parts of the minidiscs is that we can hear the band working out airbag and paranoid android

the most interesting thing about that is that the hook of the song (Airbag), the opening riff.... was written at the very last minute. it’s absent from all demo / rehearsal versions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phillipa C. said:

the most interesting thing about that is that the hook of the song (Airbag), the opening riff.... was written at the very last minute. it’s absent from all demo / rehearsal versions. 

what I like about that riff is that it used to be a chord progression over the main “theme”, I think the airbag they were rehearsing at first felt too grounded and kinda heavy, like the whole band was playing to the chords of the song, I love that they decided to uncouple the bass from following the chords changes, it gave the song a sort of confused, ambiguous feel that their later work tends to have.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tiban said:

what I like about that riff is that it used to be a chord progression over the main “theme”, I think the airbag they were rehearsing at first felt too grounded and kinda heavy, like the whole band was playing to the chords of the song, I love that they decided to uncouple the bass from following the chords changes, it gave the song a sort of confused, ambiguous feel that their later work tends to have.

My thoughts exactly. The very first version on disc 1 sounds like an outtake from The Bends, chords-heavy acoustic guitar driven. So cool to hear how the song got deconstructed melodically, plus the addition of the riff - curious how that was added so late, though. There's another electric version about halfway through disc 4 that is another gem.

Posted (edited)

Would be good to have a sort of Evolution of a song with early version followed by the next version and so on.

Edited by TRUE LOVE
  • Like 1

Early Rehearsal Of 'Palo Alto'/sheer majestic evolution of "Motion Picture Soundtrack"/"Lift"/"Paranoid Android"/"Airbag" for me 😉

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 10:20 AM, forward said:

Wait where?

• Confused 1

On 6/9/2019 at 2:46 PM, JamiroFan2000 said:

Early Rehearsal Of 'Palo Alto'/sheer majestic evolution of "Motion Picture Soundtrack"/"Lift"/"Paranoid Android"/"Airbag" for me 😉

Was never a big fan of Palo Alto, but do quite like this early version.

Hearing Palo Alto and A Reminder acoustic demos is a real treat.

Some of these versions of Attention (Sorry, ATTENZIONE!) are really fun too. 

But yeah biggest things for me are Tomorrow Night in Paris, MPS demos, TLW demos, and Lift. 

That disc 3 version of Nude is remarkably like that fake version of "Big Ideas" that came out many years ago.  Except if Radiohead had done it.  I just love the organ in it.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, olde Bean said:

That disc 3 version of Nude is remarkably like that fake version of "Big Ideas" that came out many years ago.  Except if Radiohead had done it.  I just love the organ in it.

I first heard Big Ideas as Thom Solo acoustic, just like True Love Waits that's basically the only way I wanted to hear the song. Wish a proper studio recording WITHOUT the organ would have surfaced. A more stripped down version. I wonder if they ever recorded it that way in the OKC era or if every arrangement featured the organ? I just think that sometimes less is more.

I did really like the final In Rainbows session though as well. It turned out beautifully. If they were going to do an embellished version, the strings work much better JIMHO.

Edited by reallybigboots
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Taking a run back through some of the highlights now that I've listened to the full thing.  Really love the MPS on disc 3 with just Thom on guitar.  The "beautiful angel" verse is so nice :classic_love:

Does anyone know what this performance is from?

Edited by MarkGrace

1 hour ago, MarkGrace said:

Taking a run back through some of the highlights now that I've listened to the full thing.  Really love the MPS on disc 3 with just Thom on guitar.  The "beautiful angel" verse is so nice :classic_love:

Does anyone know what this performance is from?

Rockville, "Just Passin' Thru" rado show.

• Like 1