Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
booger bear

Best Version of Lift

Best Version of Lift?  

52 members have voted

  1. 1. What is your favorite version of Lift?

    • Pinkpop
      2
    • 2002 Pre-HTTT Tour
      2
    • OKNOTOK
      6
    • Mini Disc 15
      18
    • Mini Disc 16 first version
      3
    • Mini Disc 16 second version
      21


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I did a naughty thing to the disc 15 Lift, so DM me if you want a free kitten.

Edited by devilhood
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, devilhood said:

I did a naughty thing to the disc 15 Lift, so DM me if you want a free kitten.

Can confirm. Is good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m happy with 16 v2 mix. It definitely points the way to the OKNOTOK version which the band clearly thinks of as the definitive version. It’s really not that radically different in execution than 16 v2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KidAmnesiac said:

I’m happy with 16 v2 mix. It definitely points the way to the OKNOTOK version which the band clearly thinks of as the definitive version. It’s really not that radically different in execution than 16 v2.

How so? If anything, the 15 mix seems to be much closer to the single version, although it is a much superior take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hysterical.useless said:

I really really love the Gameboy intro on the Disk 15 version.

Yeah, it's really mid 90's Weezer-ish. That little bit could have been from Songs from the Black Hole. So good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, no452 said:

How so? If anything, the 15 mix seems to be much closer to the single version, although it is a much superior take.

The synths being more up front, I guess? 

Edit: Hmm, now I’m not sure. Maybe 15 mix is the most pleasing AND most similar to OKNOTOK version. 

Edited by KidAmnesiac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The faster tempo makes this song. OKNOTOK version is good but the slower tempo drags it down a bit. The live versions and the ones on Disc 15 and 16 are the definitive versions for me. Can't decide if I prefer Disc 15 or 16v2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

15 is like a Bends era song, 16 is the same recording remixed to fit with the rest of the finished material.

Both are great in their own ways.

EDIT: also there is one incomplete take of Lift on disc 13 that almost sounds like an alternate from the same session as the OKNOTOK version.

Edited by no452

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 11:29 PM, In Portrait said:

Lads, the 3 versions of LIFT found on the Minidiscs are the SAME take but with different mixes and mastering.... 

none of the 17 hours and 16 minutes of leaked Minidisc material has been mastered. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After several listens, I'm surprised anyone prefers anything other than the Disk 15 version. The loudness and energy of that one is just balls-to-the-wall great. It's basically a studio-quality version of the legendary Pinkpop performance. The two on Disk 16 sound significantly subdued by comparison.

Damn, I'll admit that I kind of forgot about Lift after they released that tepid OKNOTOK version, but this has made me remember why it's so special. Sad that only extremely hardcore fans will ever know the Disk 15 version. It deserves widespread recognition.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Phillipa C. said:

none of the 17 hours and 16 minutes of leaked Minidisc material has been mastered. 

OK you're right perhaps not mastered but v2 from disc 16 has more gain/volume than the other versions.

Edited by In Portrait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hysterical.useless said:

After several listens, I'm surprised anyone prefers anything other than the Disk 15 version....... The two on Disk 16 sound significantly subdued by comparison.

the only difference I'm hearing between the 15 and the second 16 versions is that the channels have been reversed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Phillipa C. said:

the only difference I'm hearing between the 15 and the second 16 versions is that the channels have been reversed. 

Synth is WAY louder on 16v2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After much deliberation went with 16v2.  It's just the loudest and cleanest so it sounds the best to me.  See the potential in 15, but sounds less polished here.

Edited by MarkGrace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MarkGrace said:

After much deliberation went with 16v2.  It's just the loudest and cleanest so it sounds the best to me.  See the potential in 15, but sounds less polished here.

After 400 listens, I'm going with 15. There's something weird about Ed's guitar sounding like it's cutting out or something during the chorus on 16v2 that disturbs me too much.

Prefer the crunchier mid-90s rocker vs the late-90s synth heavy dreamy singalong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, I finally made it to the MD126 v2 of Lift (16v2), and it is glorious! I'm extremely pleased with it (and MD125).

This entire fiasco is worth it for Lift alone. Lift has been one of my favorite songs for years, and I was disappointed by the lack of energy on the OKNOTOK version. It just didn't seem like the same song. I'm so happy we now have two worthy versions out there. I just wish they would have given it a proper release as a single or something so more people could know about it. Knowing these exist now, it's shocking that they went with the OKNOTOK version and even went so far as to make a video for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though far superior to the oknotok version, these versions sound as if they are heading into quite notably "yellow" territory at the start. Rh fans well aware this existed first but to casual listeners? Maybe that's why they went with the subdued released version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They're known for slowing down songs in the studio, so the OKNOTOK makes much more sense as a proper release version

Edited by In Portrait

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ok just had my world rocked. I just googled the lyrics to lift, all the lyrics sites say these words are the chorus

The smell of air conditioning
The fish are belly up

All these years since I first heard Pinkpop 96 I thought the lyrics were

A smell of recognition

A face you barely loved

 

I cant even right now. I'm too upset. Please someone say it isnt so....

 

Edited by dbe14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, dbe14 said:

Ok just had my world rocked. I just googled the lyrics to lift, all the lyrics sites say these words are the chorus

The smell of air conditioning
The fish are belly up

All these years since I first heard Pinkpop 96 I thought the lyrics were

A small of recognition

A face you barely loved

 

I cant even right now. I'm too upset. Please someone say it isnt so....

 

You're not the only one who heard those lyrics (well, maybe you're the only person who thought it was "small" instead of "smell"). That was the debate for decades. But the OKNOTOK version makes it pretty clear it's "air condition / belly up".

Edited by Duff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So it is settled.  The second version on disc 16 is the true version of Lift but we also appreciate the disc 15 version.  Both are better than what we got on OKNOTOK.  I hope we get the I Will and Follow Me Around versions from MPIE for the Kid Amnesiac re-release.  

 

I look forward to Paul's remastered versions of both.  

Edited by booger bear
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Duff said:

You're not the only one who heard those lyrics (well, maybe you're the only person who thought it was "small" instead of "smell"). That was the debate for decades. But the OKNOTOK version makes it pretty clear it's "air condition / belly up".

I meant smell, stupid phone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×