Fuzzyste

18 hours of Ok Computer stuff leaked?

3 minutes ago, Glitchd said:

Yay sorry if I came across mean, we friends!

I try not to go on Reddit, but when I have it's fucking crazy to see things like freak outs over disc 2 of In Rainbows existing.

Not a bad thing at all. I wish I could like, get very selective amnesia.

Maybe not the most popular opinion, but if I could trade everything I know and have heard for a blank slate and to be a noob again.. Oh my fucking god. Imagine!

that dude from Memento would have it pretty good with the right attitude

100 percent agree with that sentiment. If I could go back to that ignorance and rediscover everything again I totally would. The mystery back then was so good. Byzantine ziggurat etc. 

Edited by Spaghettimatt
  • Like 1

Just now, KidAmnesiac said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think it splits them without re-encoding. Maybe @devilhood can confirm? I don't think he created the script but he seems to know how it works...

Yup the script splits them without transcoding. It doesn't touch the audio itself in any way.

• Like 2

Just now, Spaghettimatt said:

100 percent agree with that sentiment. If I could go back to that ignorance I absolutely would and rediscover everything again I totally would. The mystery back then was so good. Byzantine ziggurat etc. 

I've been such a social butterfly on my "first day" I can't Heart this post so this post is to Heart it via the most heartwarming medium - text on a forum!

10 minutes ago, Fox said:

Just listening to disc 10 now and the The Bends (song) is on their straight after the National Anthem strangely. Why is this mixed in with OK sessions?!

I noticed that too. The Google doc says it's the original 4-track demo that had been previously released sometime in '96. Not sure why it's on here. Maybe Thom reused the minidisc?

Where did the "OK Computer sessions" label come from? The leaker?

It's not wrong clearly but it seems more like a personal MiniDisc stash. Like, Bond themes and guitar demos and stuff

Gonna be very tricky if not impossible to date some of this. Just wonder if it's more of an "era" than, yknow, a given three months

3 minutes ago, Glitchd said:

I've been such a social butterfly on my "first day" I can't Heart this post so this post is to Heart it via the most heartwarming medium - text on a forum!

This all actually reminds me of my most treasured Radiohead (and music) experience. 

When I was a kid I downloaded Kid A off of Napster or Kazaa or something and burned it to a disc. It was some extremely shitty, low bitrate, lossy version of the album. Like truly atrocious quality. I spent the next 1-2 years listening to that, trying to wrap my head around it and understand it as a piece of music. I kind of just took the quality for what it was given all of the discussion around it being electronic, avant-garde, experimental. Grew to love the album.

Some time later I bought the CD and hearing the album as it was meant to be heard blew my mind. Kind of like seeing black and white your whole life and all of the sudden seeing color. Still my favorite album to this day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Glitchd said:

It's not wrong clearly but it seems more like a personal MiniDisc stash. Like, Bond themes and guitar demos and stuff

Gonna be very tricky if not impossible to date some of this. Just wonder if it's more of an "era" than, yknow, a given three months

good point.

imo... when u record something on minidisc its adding the date....so only the original "leaker" could answer that

and...tbh i think its nigels recording and not "thom" 

5 minutes ago, Spaghettimatt said:

This all actually reminds me of my most treasured Radiohead (and music) experience. 

When I was a kid I downloaded Kid A off of Napster or Kazaa or something and burned it to a disc. It was some extremely shitty, low bitrate, lossy version of the album. Like truly atrocious quality. I spent the next 1-2 years listening to that, trying to wrap my head around it and understand it as a piece of music. I kind of just took the quality for what it was given all of the discussion around it being electronic, avant-garde, experimental. Grew to love the album.

Some time later I bought the CD and hearing the album as it was meant to be heard blew my mind. Kind of like seeing black and white your whole life and all of the sudden seeing color. Still my favorite album to this day.

Haha great tale. When you finally got the real quality, did you miss the low bit rate mud even a little?? Even if you had full colour 🙂

Damn when I was 17 I downloaded Kid A and was sitting in college listening to it and a girl asked what I was listening to so she heard and sat next to me with the left earbud. Yada yada yada my first girlfriend!.. And in some ways, unrivalled.

If you bond over Kid A it is something... Hey look, we are doing it now!

Edited by Glitchd
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spaghettimatt said:

I think there are totally new fans. See: reddit. It’s truly wild to read a bunch of dudes discovering the Amnesiac b-sides for the first time... or who have no idea what the memory hole was.

No fight with you. I think the only person I have been truly mean to is Weezer guy and that is because he is 1) trolling with off topic crap and 2) retreading the same tired bullshit arguments about tapers and hoarders that this board has been having since at least the 2006 tour. 

thanks folks, i'll be here all night.

8 minutes ago, Glitchd said:

Original Reddit post, I believe.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Zane said:

what on Earth are you saying. This board is an oasis of calm now compared to 2007-16. 

:classic_laugh:  Yes, that is basically a proven metaphysical truth isn't it, where this specific event is what it took for there to be basically just a bit more confusion!!   i can't really begin to comprehend what the state of the original atease would have been for this!!  

It's been a while since posting on At Ease (was arpeggi. on the original board). I am late to the ballgame on the leak. Can anyone pm me any deets on where I can listen to it? Thank you!

Just now, arpeggi23 said:

It's been a while since posting on At Ease (was arpeggi. on the original board). I am late to the ballgame on the leak. Can anyone pm me any deets on where I can listen to it? Thank you!

hi 

5 minutes ago, arpeggi23 said:

just go to archive.org and search Radiohead and sort by date archived. It should be near the top.

just go to archive.org and search Radiohead and sort by date archived. It should be near the top.

Awesome, thank you!

☝️ ☝️ ☝️ ☝️ ☝️

Can we get this pinned somewhere forever and ever, amen?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, appearcomposed said:

m yhead hurts

cheer up buddy

24 hours ago or so... a lot of beautiful music was LIBERATED!!

Just now, Glitchd said:

cheer up buddy

24 hours ago or so... a lot of beautiful music was LIBERATED!!

i bought a guitar slide but i don't know the best way to use it so now my finger hurts too

10 minutes ago, appearcomposed said:

i bought a guitar slide but i don't know the best way to use it so now my finger hurts too

Use a Zippo lighter! not much easier but you it's cooler haha

I used to be on the old atease, just made an account here. I've been following this topic and am interested in hearing the leak but am conflicted on doing so. I've seen a lot of talk here ridiculing the people on Reddit for having ethical qualms about downloading this. I'm curious why some of you are so dismissive of the idea that this is an ethical debate in any way. To me, whichever side you may fall on, there is an ethical question here. Not because Radiohead might be unhappy with the leak as artists. But because it is stolen property.

5 minutes ago, rogue said:

I used to be on the old atease, just made an account here. I've been following this topic and am interested in hearing the leak but am conflicted on doing so. I've seen a lot of talk here ridiculing the people on Reddit for having ethical qualms about downloading this. I'm curious why some of you are so dismissive of the idea that this is an ethical debate in any way. To me, whichever side you may fall on, there is an ethical question here. Not because Radiohead might be unhappy with the leak as artists. But because it is stolen property.

It's literally victimless for us. If you're giving something to the leaker, that's on you. We are not him and not as culpable

Handling stolen goods is not the same when it's digital. The definition of theft centres around deprivation. What are you depriving anybody of? I recommend resolving to buying any of this if it comes out.

It is worth noting as well, for all we know these have been hoarded for YEARS. If anything, the only argument I *can* understand is the artist's intent one...

And I guess, the kicker is this: What YOU choose to do now, even absolving, changes nothing. Any ethical stand is a fart in the wind.

Personally, I think depriving *yourself* is pointless, and any karmic little buzz you might feel gets dwarfed by throwing shade trying to make others feel bad, or being "proud"

Just be happy, and if you honestly don't think it's right, don't engage, but your protest - even if all of us protested - would not have prevented the leak; that seems borne out of a trader dispute or something.

You are not to blame for / bittersweet distractor

Edited by Glitchd