Fuzzyste

18 hours of Ok Computer stuff leaked?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, MarkGrace said:

It's interesting this piano delay thing was never released.  That seems like a fully completed track that just needed vocals.  Even without vocals it works as an instrumental.  Surprised it never got included in anything, even if just tossed out as a b-side to fill a release.

Was just listening to this again and totally agree. I think Take 2 Take 3 is my favorite. 

Edited by KidAmnesiac

4 minutes ago, appearcomposed said:

hey pitchfork. if you're reading this, fuck you. sorry excuse for journalism, you all blow.

To be fair, they've never even seen a shooting star before. 

NEVER FORGET :classic_angry:

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, appearcomposed said:

Yay I haven't double posted in years.

I love you all and missed you all :classic_love::classic_ninja:

Edited by Belisha Beacon

37 minutes ago, KidAmnesiac said:

Was just listening to this again and totally agree. I think Take 2 Take 3 is my favorite. 

Yeah, I really like this little jam.  I also like how you can hear it developing with more layers added to it with each take.  Will definitely be listening to the third take quite a bit.

Posted (edited)

Apparently the delayed piano song is called Soft Pain and it's mentioned in the tracklist quite a few more times. There is an acoustic demo of it, and the other electronic song on disc 3 is also supposed to be another take. And then the two techno instrumental tracks 10 minutes into disc 4 are yet another version of it.

Edited by no452
:w

it's good but it;s weird how few versions of 'i promise' are on here

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Omgy said:

it's good but it;s weird how few versions of 'i promise' are on here

this post is supposed to be funny because, in all actuality, there are several versions of i promise on the release... perhaps more than any other song!

1 minute ago, appearcomposed said:

this post is supposed to be funny because, in all actuality, there are several versions of i promise on the release... perhaps more than any other song!

fuck my cover's blown

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, no452 said:

Apparently the delayed piano song is called Soft Pain and it's mentioned in the tracklist quite a few more times. There is an acoustic demo of it, and the other electronic song on disc 3 is also supposed to be another take. And then the two techno instrumental tracks 10 minutes into disc 4 are yet another version of it.

full band snippet on disc 7 as well i think (as 'I Can't Control It')

i really like the thom acoustic song on disc 10, after the bends demo, but can't for the life of me read his scrawl on the label to know what it's called

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, appearcomposed said:

I thought it was funny. I gave it a haha reaction too because I haven't I haven't used my allocated number of reactions yet today. 

Accidentally liked your post at first too. Sorry about that. I'm all over the place. 

5 minutes ago, Belisha Beacon said:

I thought it was funny. I gave it a haha reaction too because I haven't I haven't used my allocated number of reactions yet today. 

Accidentally liked your post at first too. Sorry about that. I'm all over the place. 

have you been drinking

23 minutes ago, dizzee satchel said:

full band snippet on disc 7 as well i think (as 'I Can't Control It')

i really like the thom acoustic song on disc 10, after the bends demo, but can't for the life of me read his scrawl on the label to know what it's called

Dude on Steve Hoffman forum seems to think it's called "Mistake," FWIW.

8 minutes ago, KidAmnesiac said:

Dude on Steve Hoffman forum seems to think it's called "Mistake," FWIW.

interesting...thanks, i can just about see that, i think? need to listen to it again

Dug out my OKNOTOK box set tonight and was flipping through its contents... the bigger white book has a page early on with lyrics to Exit Music and handwritten notes; at the bottom is a "note- refer to disc2.5 track 19 for possible rhythm idea." Nice to be able to make that connection now.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, pentachris said:

Pitchfork might have the most accurate write-up in the press of how this all went down, including input from @hoserama.

7 hours ago, Belisha Beacon said:

This is a great summary. Save yourself most of what you'd find out by reading pages 1 to 30 (the bit before all the Weezer nonsense) by reading this. 

Um... what?

..."evidence later emerged that this user was not the longstanding Hoserama, but rather Zimbra pretending to be Hoserama. (“What if I make a Discord with that username. And then leak the entire thing as him?” a screenshot of an apparent chat log with Zimbra reads.)"

...then toward the end:

"I’m pretty much as in the dark as you,” Zimbra writes to me. “The fake Hoserama is who I got it from initially."

So Zimbra pretended to be Hoserama to leak the stuff...but also claims to have gotten it from fake Hoserama in the first place?
Yeah that doesn't sound too sketchy.

🤨

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Damnesiac said:

Um... what?

..."evidence later emerged that this user was not the longstanding Hoserama, but rather Zimbra pretending to be Hoserama. (“What if I make a Discord with that username. And then leak the entire thing as him?” a screenshot of an apparent chat log with Zimbra reads.)"

...then toward the end:

"I’m pretty much as in the dark as you,” Zimbra writes to me. “The fake Hoserama is who I got it from initially."

So Zimbra pretended to be Hoserama to leak the stuff...but also claims to have gotten it from fake Hoserama in the first place?

🤨

I feel like I’ve see this movie before.

D62758C6-E7DE-46EF-90B9-3F4833F8598E.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Damnesiac said:

Um... what?

...then toward the end:

🤨

I don't think Zimbra knew pitchfork had the chatlogs where he comes up with the fake hoserama ploy, but also decided he doesn't want to fully commit to throwing hoserama under the bus at this point. Might have been more clear if pitchfork reiterated that Zimbra appears to be "fake hoserama" again to better contextualize Zimbra's quote, but whatever. It was a decent write-up.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Dogface said:

Im serious thinkin Nigel

he has roamed the countryside here before

Yeah, once I started reading the stories about this something didn't add up. How do minidiscs get "hacked"? 

If the discs were "stolen" from Thom or another bandmember,  how did they put together the exact same 18 disc compilation so quickly for an "official" release? That they could immediately throw out their own identical "leak" from a totally random minidisc comp, is what really has me thinking it was all a bit of a stunt. It's not like these are from their vaults or archives of their master-tapes, we are talking minidiscs that were slapped together in the 1990's in a seemingly random compilation (and for what purpose is anybody's guess,). I mean I guess they could have backups, but I can't imagine why as minidisc is not really an archiving medium. Maybe they were just recently digitizing those discs onto computers as part of compiling the White cassette and somehow they were compromised or had a theft from inside. But historically this band has never let studio stuff slip out, so it's just hard to fathom how it happened. Before the leak became "official", I just figured one of the bandmembers had these minidiscs in a box at home or even in their garage and finally after all these year forgot about what was there and got a little lax with securing them.

That being said, I appreciate this stuff regardless of how it happened. Hearing early and alt versions of songs I love always fascinated me. I thought OKNOTOK was actually a bit lite in this department, even factoring in the White cassette. Still wish there was more properly mastered stuff (that it was a 4 or 5+ disc issue). But this leak is like expanding the White cassette x10.

Edited by reallybigboots

It's really slow going but I wanted to let you guys know that I'm working through each disc and fixing all the errors. Stuff like phase issues due to left & right channel imbalance, along with remastering all the random acoustic ditties and live performances.

I'll post a snippet in a bit.

If you want the whole thing when it's done, send me a screenshot of your Bandcamp purchase receipt to hello at filiposcar dot com.

I think that works, right?

Suggestions welcome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

removed due to copyright infringement

Edited by adriaan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 11:53 PM, devilhood said:

Noticeable difference there. What you using to remaster it?

Edited by adriaan

1 hour ago, reallybigboots said:

Yeah, once I started reading the stories about this something didn't add up. How do minidiscs get "hacked"? 

If the discs were "stolen" from Thom or another bandmember,  how did they put together the exact same 18 disc compilation so quickly for an "official" release? That they could immediately throw out their own identical "leak" from a totally random minidisc comp, is what really has me thinking it was all a bit of a stunt. It's not like these are from their vaults or archives of their master-tapes, we are talking minidiscs that were slapped together in the 1990's in a seemingly random compilation (and for what purpose is anybody's guess,). I mean I guess they could have backups, but I can't imagine why as minidisc is not really an archiving medium. Maybe they were just recently digitizing those discs onto computers as part of compiling the White cassette and somehow they were compromised or had a theft from inside. But historically this band has never let studio stuff slip out, so it's just hard to fathom how it happened. Before the leak became "official", I just figured one of the bandmembers had these minidiscs in a box at home or even in their garage and finally after all these year forgot about what was there and got a little lax with securing them.

That being said, I appreciate this stuff regardless of how it happened. Hearing early and alt versions of songs I love always fascinated me. I thought OKNOTOK was actually a bit lite in this department, even factoring in the White cassette. Still wish there was more properly mastered stuff (that it was a 4 or 5+ disc issue). But this leak is like expanding the White cassette x10.

I would love the fable of it being band leaked, but this is all pretty easily dispelled. Basically to counter what your saying, the version of events I'd present is the one I'd just see as most likely:

- band consider an OK Computer reissue, from about 2015 to 2016
- Thom digs out a stack of minidiscs
- they can't listen straight from the device – probably aren't going to be in a room for 18, 36, 100 hundreds to consider everything so they move it all over
- someone somewhere rips it from minidisc to a digital file. Either a band member or someone in the circle
- this is sent to Thom and Nigel and maybe Colin do and they all pick out their choice cuts
- this is presented as maybe four hours of music, sent around to a variety of people

It's pretty likely that the raw, full 18 discs were sitting in a drive somewhere.

It's not like someone needs the actual physical minidiscs to rip it. I mean we've just had a reissue where Thom's reprinted a diary, Colin has dug out old tapes from The Bends, and Nigel's finding drawings from Kid A. If this was 2008 or something or even 2013 I'd see it as suss. But someone at some point transferred them to digital.