Sign in to follow this  
AusMakka

Austin City Limits 2016

Posted (edited)

I find that watching this video (the 50 minute pro version) and the From The Basement videos give me a much better understanding of The King Of Limbs. I was never a huge fan of the album except for a couple of tracks but the songs come across so much better live and actually watching them perform and what they are doing. Still not a fan of Feral but really enjoy the live versions of the tracks from this album. Austin City Limits is pretty damn good, except as usual Paranoid Android which Thom just keeps insisting on singing like crap. 

Anyone else feel the same way about these live versions of the tracks versus the studio?

Edited by AusMakka

Posted (edited)

I am going to play my dick card (don't worry, I have lots of them) and suggest that thinking the live versions of TKOL songs is the "true" TKOL is what the kids call a basic bitch position.

The live versions are great and it's good that they exist. But they're reinterpretations, mutations. If they'd actually been recorded like that they would make no sense at all. The brilliance of TKOL is that it's all weird sculptures and constructions, the kind of thing you can only achieve in a studio with a lot of editing.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Duff said:

I am going to play my dick card (don't worry, I have lots of them) and suggest that thinking the live versions of TKOL songs is the "true" TKOL is what the kids call a basic bitch position.

The live versions are great and it's good that they exist. But they're reinterpretations, mutations. If they'd actually been recorded like that they would make no sense at all. The brilliance of TKOL is that it's all weird sculptures and constructions, the kind of thing you can only achieve in a studio with a lot of editing.

But how absolutely hilarious is Thom's bass part in Orgy from ACL?

• Like 2

The King Of Limbs isn't even that good live. The best songs (Bloom, Lotus Flower, Separator) are good at using the loopy, over-produced, earthy vibe that the album carries. Bloom can be boring as fuck live. Lotus Flower is just a fuzz-fest, but not in a bad way. The crap songs are crap songs because they're lame little experiments they all made pinging off their heads as opposed to great attempts at songwriting. If you're not going to let Thom write a full song, or he isn't going to let himself, you at least need some memorable hooks or a bang-on atmosphere... Morning Mr Magpie, Feral don't have that.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2019 at 6:26 PM, forward said:

The King Of Limbs isn't even that good live. The best songs (Bloom, Lotus Flower, Separator) are good at using the loopy, over-produced, earthy vibe that the album carries. Bloom can be boring as fuck live. Lotus Flower is just a fuzz-fest, but not in a bad way. The crap songs are crap songs because they're lame little experiments they all made pinging off their heads as opposed to great attempts at songwriting. If you're not going to let Thom write a full song, or he isn't going to let himself, you at least need some memorable hooks or a bang-on atmosphere... Morning Mr Magpie, Feral don't have that.

Aside from the areas in which it is completely wrong (Magpie and especially Feral are great), this is absolutely correct.

The fan adulation for the live TKOL renditions has always smacked to me of a desperate effort to like TKOL somehow, as if just playing the songs in a band format is a near enough simulacrum of "classic Radiohead" that they can kid themselves into liking them. But it's the songs themselves that are "the problem".

It's like when TKOL first came out and loads of fans were saying "oh, you just have to listen to it with headphones". No, if you don't like this sort of Radiohead songwriting you're not going to like it any better with headphones either.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

The TKOL tour was my least fav tour other than that the band seemed very happy on stage. Pre Toronto. 

Magpie is the only song better live than recorded. And Bloom on the last tour was a time to go to the bathroom or get a beer. Sorry Bloom lovers. Just should not have been an every night staple. 

I mean it it is a beautiful album.  No Kid A, OK Computer or In Rainbows but AMSP is awesome.  Any band would take joy in creating such an album.  

A Moon Shaped Pool is okay. Yeah, okay. No great songs really, everything on there is kind of just nearly there without being a perfect execution.

I feel they did well to unify the vibe somehow. They do sort of make sense together, like all the songs. But it's just too scatterbrain.

Keep your folksy wannabe shit like Desert Island Disc, The Number, Present Tense for whatever else. Ed'll take em. Daydreaming, Decks Dark, Glass Eyes, and the last two songs work together (Tinker Tailor is their most pointless song though – just make it a ten-track album) and on another album, I think Burn The Witch would have slotted in fine if that was the one sort of anomaly. I even feel a stringy version of Spooks could have even slotted in. But there's just too many different sounds going on.

Identikit, Ful Stop would have been better on the spooky digital-forest album I thought they'd come out with after the OG Identikit. Which is better by the way, still the best drum hook they've ever come up with, silly cunts. I was expecting that album to combine the nature themes of The King of Limbs with the syrupy, dark, black-night vibe of In Rainbows... weird thing to say but I just imagine a test-pattern and black bush for that sound, all over-scuzzed and blown out synth sounds.

Posted (edited)

Just my uneducated crappy opinion.

OKC, KidA/Amnesiac (yes Im looping them together), InRainbowsare the trinity of Radioheads work. All took a lot of time, road testing for 2 of them, and most likely almost killed the band. With HTTT and TKOL, you see the results of lets just get this done style of recording and song writing, which is why those albums seem to be so polarizing to the overall fanbase. TKOL is my least favorite Radiohead album that includes PH. But my feelings on PH is from a 17 year old in 1993 that saw the band live before owning the album. 

AMSP, is what it is. It is the album that the band that made OKC would make 20 years later. Older, more money, less angry dealing with white guy middle age problems. I think he album is beautiful but has its flaws and its high points. It is not perfect but it is not horrible. I think it was Henry Rollins talking about how bands have to chill out in their 40s and can't be their anger driven 20/30s anymore. It just doesn't work and I think Radiohead(Thom) was drawing on his very personal issues and created this album from a very dark place, but also a very comfortable place. I feel AMSP is a Radiohead album, that was clearly finished by Thom and Nigel and had very little band input after the sessions in France. 

Going back to the point about From Basement vs Record. Ive always felt that Radiohead had this split personality, they could create wonderful and challenging works in the studio, but also had the ability to arrange those tracks into something that could be played live. The Beatles never even tried this. When fans trash PH, I say watch the Astoria show on youtube, same for me, while I have never listened to TKOL after its was out, I can still appreciate the From the Basement for some of the songs. TKOL tour was least favorite tour cause I didn't connect to the material they out on record, but I still enjoyed some of the live arrangements better, even though I view them as completely different arrangements. 

Edited by Robjonas

19 hours ago, forward said:

A Moon Shaped Pool is okay. Yeah, okay. No great songs really, everything on there is kind of just nearly there without being a perfect execution.

I feel they did well to unify the vibe somehow. They do sort of make sense together, like all the songs. But it's just too scatterbrain.

Keep your folksy wannabe shit like Desert Island Disc, The Number, Present Tense for whatever else. Ed'll take em. Daydreaming, Decks Dark, Glass Eyes, and the last two songs work together (Tinker Tailor is their most pointless song though – just make it a ten-track album) and on another album, I think Burn The Witch would have slotted in fine if that was the one sort of anomaly. I even feel a stringy version of Spooks could have even slotted in. But there's just too many different sounds going on.

Identikit, Ful Stop would have been better on the spooky digital-forest album I thought they'd come out with after the OG Identikit. Which is better by the way, still the best drum hook they've ever come up with, silly cunts. I was expecting that album to combine the nature themes of The King of Limbs with the syrupy, dark, black-night vibe of In Rainbows... weird thing to say but I just imagine a test-pattern and black bush for that sound, all over-scuzzed and blown out synth sounds.

Well I'm glad we know who's opinion to completely ignore in the future.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

AMSP hot takes in 2019 are just a snooze.  We're just desperate for some real Radiohead news.  Even an Ed solo album.

AMSP is great.  Burn the Witch, Ful Stop, Decks Dark, Daydreaming, Present Tense and TLW are all quality.  Hell, even Glass Eyes.  I like the Bends more but I am an old fan.  Doesn't negate that AMSP is awesome and our boys are still on top of their game after TKOL which is bad.  I think we have one more album from them and that would make me happy.  As long as we get a Kid A re-issue next year.  

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

Well I'm glad we know who's opinion to completely ignore in the future.

7 hours ago, MarkGrace said:

AMSP hot takes in 2019 are just a snooze.  We're just desperate for some real Radiohead news.  Even an Ed solo album.

Why would you dismiss such a thoughtful post with responses like these?

On 5/7/2019 at 4:49 PM, forward said:

I agree that the new acoustic emphasis doesn't really work. I think The Numbers is the first song on a Radiohead album since The Bends I'd call truly mediocre.

But I must spring to the defence of Tinker Tailor. For me, this is the most successful track. It has the best lyrics - really original, striking lines, like "the ones you burn your fires to keep away" - and the most complete journey, transforming itself from broken-down machine to spiralling Twilight zone soundtrack. We all know spooky Radiohead is the best Radiohead.

5 minutes ago, MarkGrace said:

I wouldn't have three years ago. They would have been interesting then.

What is the statute of limitations on Radiohead opinions?

In my line of work the SOL is 3 years, which is actually today for AMSP.  But for this type of discussion that's much too generous, so I'm going with a few months.  After that it's just boring churn and echo chamber.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MarkGrace said:

In my line of work the SOL is 3 years, which is actually today for AMSP.  But for this type of discussion that's much too generous, so I'm going with a few months.  After that it's just boring churn and echo chamber.

Then why are you here? 

It's the last thing RH released and it's far more worthy of discussion than Snoozespiria. 

Edited by Grunthos The Flatulent

Hoping for tidbits of news about Thom's solo album, LP10, interviews with the band about various projects, etc.  I get this is what happens between album cycles.  It happened with TKOL and In Rainbows before that.  You get three, four, five years deep and it's the same thing being said over and over about the most recent album.  It's just boring at that point and you sense the desperation for a new development to talk about.  That's all I was saying above.