Sign in to follow this  
forward

Hail To The Thief, you angsty little shit you

Posted (edited)

...is 17.

I like this album because it's one of those records every really good band needs – everyone knows it isn't their best, but it has both their absolute worst and finest material on it. And more interestingly, it has plenty of those middle songs. Plenty on tracks on this thing that some hate and some really like. It reminds me a little bit of Blur's Think Tank or Terror Twilight by Pavement. They're not essential albums, but there's a real unique character to them.

Anyway, probably the best thing about this whole time was the live shows.

Glastonbury 2003 is pretty well revered both in the band's history and Glasto lore. But people also talk up both nights at Earl's Court as their best shows ever.

It also seems the first time they really performed in the sort of places they only play in now – AT$T Kamikaze MediaRadio Pavilion at OC Bitch Park in the US, big parks and not piazzas in Italy, arenas in Australia and smaller cities in the UK. Thom and Jonny also got a bit more into the radio session around here and there's a few nice, but not mandatory, recordings of those around, but more importantly they seemed to open the way for stuff like Latitude 2009.

They also played a leg of UK shows a month-odd before the album... does anyone know when these were announced? Were they basically teaser runs?

Edited by forward

At the time it was released it was a let down however I really enjoy it now and I'm glad they have this kind of album in their discography.  It would be a really solid album if they removed Sit Down Stand Up, We Suck Young Blood and Punch Up at a Wedding.  It could have been recorded better too.  Too bad they rushed it.  Could have been up their in the holy trinity (though I consider ASMP as a classic album with KA, OKC and IR).  I need to bring this puppy out again and give it a spin.  The vinyl sounds better imo.  I have it and can dropbox it if anyone is interested.  

• Like 3

Yeah the mixing and mastering on this is pretty flat and there are indeed parts where it clips (ie distorts at loud parts). But the older I get the more critical I am of Nigel and his cronies – Amnesiac can sound pretty shit compared to the how choral and sound-specific Kid A, A Moon Shaped Pool was neutered and overblown at the same time and has some lifeless mixing...

Posted (edited)

This thing has some really nice b-sides though and maybe their most experimental? I think it's pretty naff and the steely guitar or whatever the fuck on it is fucking shocking, but at least they tried I Am A Wicked Child. Paperbag Writer is interesting. I Am Citizen Insane is just really lovely. Does Fog (Again) count?

Edited by forward

We Suck Young Blood is the only song I skip on any Radiohead album.  It's such drag after the momentum of Where I End and You Begin. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, forward said:

This thing has some really nice b-sides though and maybe their most experimental? I think it's pretty naff and the steely guitar or whatever the fuck on it is fucking shocking, but at least they tried I Am A Wicked Child. Paperbag Writer is interesting. I Am Citizen Insane is just really lovely. Does Fog (Again) count?

don't forget gagging order!  or is that the steely guitar or whatever thing?

• Like 1

The Gloaming! 🤢  Right up there with Fasttrack as their worst ever released. And We Suck Young Blood is pushing it. Otherwise I like the rest of the album.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2020 at 4:55 AM, forward said:

They also played a leg of UK shows a month-odd before the album... does anyone know when these were announced? Were they basically teaser runs?

The album was announced on 24th march 2003 https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/71855/radiohead-says-hail-to-the-thief

The tour was announced before that, maybe 7-10 days before?

So comparable with the first shows of 2016 in that we had a tour announcement, then an album announcement. Different because the album itself was not released for a few weeks though we had the rough mix and final mix leaks by the week of the May tour.

I moved home from university for Easter the weekend that the tour was announced and missed it. They were playing Shepherd's Bush Empire and I missed it. I probably cried. I was so determined to make up for this I visited Atease day and night for the next 2 months until I got tickets. At the risk of sounding cheesy I would probably never have had such a long lasting interest in this board, and indeed with Radiohead, without that stressful experience.

Anyway I got to go to the Manchester show  - a very kind man who I never see around here anymore  got 4 tickets in a resale and sold me and another boarder 1 ticket each and drove me from Oxford to Manchester and back for the show. Also bagged the first night of Shepherd's Bush (secured 24 hours before - some "returns" from eBay scoundrels that had their tickets cancelled, possibly).

Ed said to MTV that they wanted to kick off tour playing some small shows playing to more of a partisan atmosphere. 

I remember the excitement of them playing Kid A and Subterranean Homesick Alien as unexpected oldies at the earlier shows. This was in the days when "POST TONIGHT'S SETLIST HERE" meant waiting until midnight for someone to get home and post their reactions.

MTV showed an hour of Shepherd's bush night 2 though it was a really odd setup for a pro-shot - lots of fixed cameras and weird angles and people being filmed with their heads cut off IIRC.

Shepherd's Bush night 1 wasn't for TV and didn't have any big surprises in its setlist, though the $2 bill show in the US had an almost identical setlist so you could say it was a warm up for that.

That's probably enough waffle for now. 17 years, jeeez!

Edited by Belisha Beacon
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, AusMakka said:

The Gloaming! 🤢  Right up there with Fasttrack as their worst ever released. And We Suck Young Blood is pushing it. Otherwise I like the rest of the album.

Too bad they didn't find that live bassline sooner.  Adds so much to the song.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Belisha Beacon said:

The album was announced on 24th march 2003 https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/71855/radiohead-says-hail-to-the-thief

The tour was announced before that, maybe 7-10 days before?

So comparable with the first shows of 2016 in that we had a tour announcement, then an album announcement. Different because the album itself was not released for a few weeks though we had the rough mix and final mix leaks by the week of the May tour.

I moved home from university for Easter the weekend that the tour was announced and missed it. They were playing Shepherd's Bush Empire and I missed it. I probably cried. I was so determined to make up for this I visited Atease day and night for the next 2 months until I got tickets. At the risk of sounding cheesy I would probably never have had such a long lasting interest in this board, and indeed with Radiohead, without that stressful experience.

Anyway I got to go to the Manchester show  - a very kind man who I never see around here anymore  got 4 tickets in a resale and sold me and another boarder 1 ticket each and drove me from Oxford to Manchester and back for the show. Also bagged the first night of Shepherd's Bush (secured 24 hours before - some "returns" from eBay scoundrels that had their tickets cancelled, possibly).

Ed said to MTV that they wanted to kick off tour playing some small shows playing to more of a partisan atmosphere. 

I remember the excitement of them playing Kid A and Subterranean Homesick Alien as unexpected oldies at the earlier shows. This was in the days when "POST TONIGHT'S SETLIST HERE" meant waiting until midnight for someone to get home and post their reactions.

MTV showed an hour of Shepherd's bush night 2 though it was a really odd setup for a pro-shot - lots of fixed cameras and weird angles and people being filmed with their heads cut off IIRC.

Shepherd's Bush night 1 wasn't for TV and didn't have any big surprises in its setlist, though the $2 bill show in the US had an almost identical setlist so you could say it was a warm up for that.

That's probably enough waffle for now. 17 years, jeeez!

I went to the Manchester and both Shepards bush shows. I was front row for all of them and Im on that MTV show a few times. I remember the Manchester show Thom looked pretty weirded out that we all knew the lyrics to the songs as the album had leaked at that point especially the 'all hail to the thief all hail to the thief' part of 2+2. 

I was 17 at the time, somehow convinced my parents to let me go to London and stay with loads of people I'd met on the internet...different times. I remember Bjork played the day after the second Radiohead show and a few of us stood outside the venue to try and hear her. They were good times man, I was just a kid at the time who grew up in a northern suburb and had no real adult experience and I remember being terrified of London as it was my first time there, also remember how expensive everything was and I chose not to eat towards the end as I couldn't afford anything. 

What's funny now is that I actually cant stand HTTT and think it's their worst album. Definitely a product of it's time. 

Edited by Fuzzyste
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

2003 music good

i always liked iT And loved when people complained about the length(then we got a 36 minute album in 2011 great job guys)

like bitch just delete the songs who gives a fuck about the artists intention

i miss when thom could sing n dressed normal

Edited by baba booey
  • Like 1

Even though I dislike around half of the album (Sit Down, Stand Up, The Gloaming, I Will, Punchup, Myxomatosis, Scatterbrain), I still think of it as the last of their 'untouchable' phase.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah but what is your favorite ice cream and why isn't it mint chocolate chip?  Or peppermint ice cream.  I make a mean pep ice cream.  Hand scratch too.  Vanilla with mixed pep candies.  My daughters love it.  When I was young there was a place that sold actual bubble gum in the bubble gum ice cream.  What kind of sick troll wants to make kids constipated?  You guys want to know something really naughty?  I dump soft batch cookies and milk until they become a chocolate chip milkshake.  Happy fourth to my fellow Yankees btw.  Now's your chance to shoot each other with Roman Candles.  

Edited by booger bear
  • Haha 2

My best memory of that era was making the choice to buy a ticket to Spain and 3 tickets to the 3 shows in Salamanca 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 9:36 AM, Robjonas said:

My best memory of that era was making the choice to buy a ticket to Spain and 3 tickets to the 3 shows in Salamanca 

Ugh. Jealous of this. Have any pics you can share or stories? I want to live vicariously through your memories...

• Like 1