Sign in to follow this  
thatthere

KID A/Amnesiac 20th anniversary reissue

I'd rather have a physical copy ala OKNOTOK than for them to release it via the library.  Though if they did both that would be nice too.  

https://www.nme.com/music-interviews/ed-obrien-radiohead-eob-earth-interview-2020-kid-amnesiac-2643388

Will you guys be doing anything to mark 20 years of ‘Kid A’ and Amnesiac’ this year and next?

“Due to the nature of it, I can’t fully reveal anything – but there have been talks about ways of doing something. Everything gets thrown up in the air with coronavirus, so a lot of ideas are being mooted. It would be nice to honour it, but then there’s the struggle – how can you get that excited about an album that came out 20 years ago? I can’t. I’m thankful it was a moment and know that it means a lot to people, but it was a long time ago.”

the next part adds better context i would say!

So you’re only concerned with the present and the future?

“We’ve had different chapters in Radiohead life. Up until the end of ‘OK Computer’ was one chapter; ‘Kid A’ through to ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ was another chapter. We’ve sort of drawn a line now and are wondering what the next chapter will be. That’s what we’ll figure out next.”

~~~~~

As far as the first part, I think that maybe a new physical release will be delayed or not be made. But, it already was a different situation with KID A, both that the amount of additional recordings is too much to really fit into a physical release format, and, even moreso(this is just an opinion obviously!) but how could the album be mixed better than it already is? 

I think it's because he's promoting his new solo career and isn't in a Radiohead mindset at the moment. 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/radiohead-are-having-online-meetings-and-discussing-celebrating-20-years-of-kid-a-2646507

this adds

“Personally speaking, looking back is not something I ever do. The past feels like a long time ago and isn’t something that feels important. Obviously I’m thankful that there’s an appetite for it. I’m not a fan of Radiohead, I’m in Radiohead. It’s a very different experience for me.”

on ed’s ama he responds to a question abt his comments on the kid a amnesiac 20th release (and abt minidisc lift)

Never liked that version of Lift.. at one stage it was one of the best songs we had ever done.. it was killer, but too much pressure and expectation in the studio neutered it.. I'm sure that there will be KidA Amnesiac stuff.. all I said is that I find it hard to get excited by old stuff.. realise it's different for a fan of those records.. but when you've lived those moments it's a bit like going back in time..

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, baba booey said:

on ed’s ama he responds to a question abt his comments on the kid a amnesiac 20th release (and abt minidisc lift)

How did Cuttooth not make it onto Amnesiac?

EOB_Official

Ed O'Brien/Radiohead
126 points·1 hour ago

Now you're speaking my language .. agree

Thanks for posting @baba booey

• Like 3

Is a Kid A/Amnesiac box set still something that might happen this year?
Umm…maybe yes? I’m not sure. To be honest with you, I know it’s the 20th anniversary. We obviously have meetings and stuff like that. If there is something good for a box set…We did it for OK Computer, and that was good, but I’m of the school of thought that goes, “If there’s something really great to be said or done or celebrated, then that’s okay. But it’s gotta be good.” I think the OK Computer thing was good. We had a couple of tracks that had never been heard.

The other thing with Kid A is there’s so much more material. With OK Computer, there might be 19 reels [of tape]. I think we got through about 80 reels of two-inch tape for Kid A and Amnesiac. There was a lot more experimentation with the songs, since we were trying to find our way. There’s lots and lots of stuff. [The question is] whether it’s any good, and I’ve got no idea. It’s not my department, really.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/ed-obrien-new-album-radiohead-987247/

• Like 2

somebody call the ed department 

we've got a live one!

4 hours ago, MarkGrace said:

With OK Computer, there might be 19 reels [of tape]. I think we got through about 80 reels of two-inch tape for Kid A and Amnesiac. There was a lot more experimentation with the songs, since we were trying to find our way.

Bring on the experimentation. 

Also, I can go through the 80 reels.  No prob.  

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 9:47 PM, baba booey said:

from new interview with nigel

Thom Yorke has talked a lot about prepping a 20th-anniversary package of Radiohead's Kid A, and the guys have been digging through the archives for that project. Have you been involved at this point?

I can't speak for them, but we're all sort of working on possibilities. There's all this archive stuff and the Public Library just opened and that's a big platform for all those kind of things. Beyond that, there's always plans afoot, but I'm afraid that'll be all I can say about it really.

^^ based on this, there is a sense of at least a potential home for some additional varied recordings as well as more of the era's artwork and poetic faxes that Stanley and Thom have mentioned.  

It partially feels like they may wait to release anything until autumn for it to be 20 years since, but i hope maybe it will be in the next few months instead!  

• Like 1

I think the Public Library will be the place if/when it happens.

It's a different project, too, with Kid A/mnesiac as compared to OKC.  OKC had unreleased songs which just weren't usable on the next project, and they stayed in the vault.  Doubt that was the case with the lengthy Kid A sessions, although the variations and experiments would be fascinating to anyone approaching 'fan' status.  There was also a lot of stuff on physical tape from the OKC period which (so they said) was degenerating with age, and there had to be effort made to preserve it anyway.  For Kid A, it really would be an 'anniversary' re-release, and I suspect Ed's lack of enthusiasm is probably reflected in the rest of the band.  If someone is trawling through the tapes as we speak (and digitising them etc), it's going to depend what they find.  

• Like 1