Sign in to follow this  
thatthere

KID A/Amnesiac 20th anniversary reissue

Yes. The best part of all the NOTOK/Minidiscs stuff wasn't the unreleased tracks (turns out they're all boring and not worthy of release) but the light it sheds on the music we know.

Stuff like learning that LIAGH and Exit Music were once the same song, or how Nude got its name, or hearing how the different bits of Paranoid Android were recorded separately and stitched together. Brilliant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duff said:

Yes. The best part of all the NOTOK/Minidiscs stuff wasn't the unreleased tracks (turns out they're all boring and not worthy of release)

AHEM - "I Don't Want To Hurt You," "Attenzione!" and "Tomorrow Night In Paris" would beg to differ!!

And let's not even start talking about Thom's funky cloak!

• Like 2

There must be some either normal or adapted formats that will allow them to release whichever archival recordings from the sessions that they wish!  Digital download is obviously an option! 

I sort of think that an interactive web space may be created; as that was particularly a crucial part of the KID A period.  it may be that there are a number of recordings that would work within a special archival release, but then some additional ones (such as soundscapes and snippets) would be embedded there either to hear, download or both!     

• Like 1

Really in love with the old version of Last Flowers from the minidiscs, can't believe they didn't release that as a b-side. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Duff said:

Yes. The best part of all the NOTOK/Minidiscs stuff wasn't the unreleased tracks (turns out they're all boring and not worthy of release) but the light it sheds on the music we know.

Stuff like learning that LIAGH and Exit Music were once the same song, or how Nude got its name, or hearing how the different bits of Paranoid Android were recorded separately and stitched together. Brilliant.

Yeah this. It's probably even more insane with the Kid A tracks given all of the experimentation going on.

Would quote but just about every post on this page is being referenced. I think the slew of unreleased material was pretty overwhelming. Even the one hour white tape had a bit on it and then of course the dialogue and disappointment around Lift and the other polished songs took most of the conversation.

Really it was a pretty incredible backlog of information.

There's some great alternate takes that are borderline rude: Motion Picture Soundtrack, Lift. Plenty of grails like the OK Computer attempt at True Love Waits. Some really nice soundscapes, funny little demos, and some songs so good you wish they'd retouch them – Attenzione, Tomorrow Night in Paris. I think the thing about those unreleased tracks is you can see how close they were to another Bends and keeping down the track of easy popularity. With a Kid A release, it'll be interesting to see what side they were towing toward... were some versions really, properly experimental or were there heaps of Optimistic-like tracks?

The trivia and unearthing of song's trajectories, their histories, what bits were deleted and what were carried over (sometimes 10 years later) is interesting.

Such a cool and surprising insights into their creative process. Never thought we'd get introspections like that from this band.

Advanced issues found

8 hours ago, duaessences as clay become said:

I sort of think that an interactive web space may be created; as that was particularly a crucial part of the KID A period.  it may be that there are a number of recordings that would work within a special archival release, but then some additional ones (such as soundscapes and snippets) would be embedded there either to hear, download or both!     

Yeah this band nails most promotion, except when they intentionally don't want it (The King of Limbs, Tomorrow's Modern Boxes) and even difficult-y sounding solo project must have had some serious money poured into it. But Kid A is one of those very very rare albums that seemed to help the internet grow and also be the result of it (Neutral Milk Hotel, Wilco probably other examples but I don't especially like those records). Tapping into leaks, dodgy connections, and those smorgasbord diary-ish, art journal looking websites were really part of the 'feel' of Kid A.

Hope they go all out.

Maybe we'll finally get the uncensored version of Ed's diary, where he tells us what he's really thinking.

1 hour ago, forward said:

There's some great alternate takes that are borderline rude: Motion Picture Soundtrack, Lift. Plenty of grails like the OK Computer attempt at True Love Waits. Some really nice soundscapes, funny little demos, and some songs so good you wish they'd retouch them – Attenzione, Tomorrow Night in Paris.

It's been said before, but as much as I love the fact that OKNOTOK happened and the whole white cassette thing, considering everything that came out of the Minidiscs leak, they did make some odd choices.

They should have put one of the full-band versions of TLW on the cassette, along with the TLW tape loop. That would then tell the whole story of the song after having released the final version on AMSP the previous year, like releasing the making-of documentary after the movie comes out. Here's the song, here's the tape loop (explaining the Pulk connection), and here's an example of why this song took 20 fucking years.

They definitely released the wrong Lift, and we might never know why.

Some odd inclusions on that tape too. Like the recording of the fridge buzz. It's kind of a fun inclusion but considering it wasn't used anywhere on the album it's a bit of a waste of space - wasn't it used on one of Thom's Karma Police demos on the Minidiscs or am I misremembering that?

Thank God we got the Minidiscs.

11 hours ago, Duff said:

It's been said before, but as much as I love the fact that OKNOTOK happened and the whole white cassette thing, considering everything that came out of the Minidiscs leak, they did make some odd choices.

They should have put one of the full-band versions of TLW on the cassette, along with the TLW tape loop. That would then tell the whole story of the song after having released the final version on AMSP the previous year, like releasing the making-of documentary after the movie comes out. Here's the song, here's the tape loop (explaining the Pulk connection), and here's an example of why this song took 20 fucking years.

They definitely released the wrong Lift, and we might never know why.

Some odd inclusions on that tape too. Like the recording of the fridge buzz. It's kind of a fun inclusion but considering it wasn't used anywhere on the album it's a bit of a waste of space - wasn't it used on one of Thom's Karma Police demos on the Minidiscs or am I misremembering that?

Thank God we got the Minidiscs.

Yeah hard to give a shit or feel bad for the band about getting hacked when you put it this way. That OKC cassette was a real wasted opportunity.

17 hours ago, Spaghettimatt said:

Yeah hard to give a shit or feel bad for the band about getting hacked when you put it this way. That OKC cassette was a real wasted opportunity.

It wasn't. The Minidiscs don't have the Motion Picture Soundtrack solo piano version, the cassette take of Nude and the demos of Attention, Let Down, Are You Someone, CUTW and Airbag. The overlap is actually minimal and the fridge buzz (which is actually present on both) only takes 14 seconds of space.

the cassette was cool cuz it was its own beast that felt true to the era's "mythos" instead of just being a Here's an out-takes / demo dump tape!

eat shit, fans!

• Like 1

Would be kinda cool to get an insight into the original tracklists as well, especially Amnesiac with Cuttooth at the end which I originally think was going to happen?

Been listening to a lot of bootlegs from 2000/2001/2002...they really were untouchable back then, all on the top of their game. 

On 7/18/2019 at 7:32 PM, forward said:
On 7/18/2019 at 9:29 PM, Duff said:

unearthing of song's trajectories, their histories, what bits were deleted and what were carried over (sometimes 10 years later) is interesting.

first, I'm grateful that the band has been able to record and keep as much esoterica as they have over the years.  Hours of alternative takes and tracks.  Loops and sounds and Thom's scribbles.  Ed's diary.  I'm still high on the minidisks. They have generated an incredible output of teasers, artwork, video--all of which nutter fans can sift through with a fine-toothed comb.  Piecing together a song's history, trajectory, whatever you want to call it--it's great and how many bands can do this?   That they have kept all this stuff, and are willing to share it with fans is pretty exceptional.   Someone has to go through and pick and choose--how many bands would actually give a shit?  The band thinks it matters (maybe not Phil) and we think it matters, so yeah, I'm excited even a year or whatever out from whatever they give us.  Not a drunk post, it's not even noon.  

Edited by thatthere
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fuzzyste said:

Would be kinda cool to get an insight into the original tracklists as well, especially Amnesiac with Cuttooth at the end which I originally think was going to happen?

Been listening to a lot of bootlegs from 2000/2001/2002...they really were untouchable back then, all on the top of their game. 

Track #9 I think it was supposed to be