Sign in to follow this  
thatthere

KID A/Amnesiac 20th anniversary reissue

Breadcrumbs neatly here in one place.  

Next year is the 20th anniversary of Kid A — how does that feel?  Phil: "It was interesting with the OK Computer release that we did. Having a chance to go back in, go through that entire archive and realize how much work was generated at that point. I think there’s a similar thing around Kid A as well. We’ve not listened back to the outtakes and the other things we were working. I know there’s a wealth of stuff there.  Whenever you make a record there’s a time when you are collectively, individually, emotionally, physically — sometimes you leave these things open. With Ok Computer, we closed that door. Kid A was a difficult album to make. It’ll be interesting. Opening that one will be interesting. It’ll all come flooding back. It wasn’t the happiest of times. But I think the music was pretty good."

Ready for the band to open that door.  Their comments seem to support a reissue with some either unknown and/or unfinished tracks.  Was it four studios where they worked on tracks?  So they should have a lot of "material."  Even if they are "careful" about what they put out, what do they have to worry about, really?  Some of the OKNOTOK stuff is bonkers (even if we love it).  Lots of pointers to this happening in 2020, not the least of which is what they did for OK Computer.  I expect and hope they will do this up.  And if Amnesiac is included the wish for that double album that didn't happen is granted.   Interested to hear any early/alternate versions of Dollars and Cents, along with  *advert voice* "much much more!"  

• Like 2

Would be nice if mods moved some of the discussion into this fredddddd but whatever.

Does anyone know which Alice Coltrane song Colin played a bass line over to help create Dollars and Cents?   Why does no interviewer think to ask?  Be cool if the supposedly 11-minute Copenhagen jam of $+C were part of the funky extras.  Not counting on it of course.  Ed could just be messing around in his diary entries, after all.  Bring on the remastered blips.  

• Like 1

Interesting comments there from Phil. Can't wait to see what possibly they have to release. 🙂

• Like 1

I think after Kid Amnesiac, we will only have one for In Rainbows.  AMSP sessions seem pretty cut and dry what was recorded and released.  

Anyone else absolutely hate 'Kid Amnesiac' as a title? As bad as Kid B or OKNOTKIDA...

Posted (edited)

Kid Amnesiac is not a great title. But it's nowhere near as bad as those others. Kid B is fairly lame and OKNOTKIDA just makes no sense.

Generally speaking, I don't really care what it's called as long as it's got the goods.

Edited by PackofSandwiches

6 minutes ago, thatthere said:

Hopefully Thom won't be naming it.  His second piece for the Paris concert is called Gawpers.  

Not a terrible name...? Not as questionable as some of his other titles.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Not a terrible name...? Not as questionable as some of his other titles.

"Tinker Tailor Blinker Bailer Blingblong Dingdong Whatever's Clever" or whatever

Edited by chernobyl2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think Gawpers is a great title. It's a nasty, spiteful little word, and very British. So - very Thom.

It might be a pipe dream but I wonder if we might get some sort of rejigged version of HTTT one day. All the band members have expressed regrets over that one, so it might be an opportunity to "correct it". Perhaps let Nigel remix it dramatically (Nigel wasn't happy with the original mix) or overdub new elements... seems unlikely but then I was betting against us getting anything like OKNOTOK.

• Like 1

It seems like Kid A, and by default Amnesiac, and then In Rainbows are the most likely to get a classic reissue, with demos and sketches and alternate versions. And hopefully new, full songs. Though there's nothing of that era we're clamouring for and that's going to have the appeal and excitement of a Lift or Big Boots. I'm definitely most keen on In Rainbows; those Spike Stent sessions could be the most interesting insight into the importance of Nigel Godrich. I get the feeling that if they were happy enough with 15 other songs from 1999, 2000, then they're the ones they put on Amnesiac and as b-sides. If there was that much going on, they'd have chucked it on some singles somewhere.

Feel like that alternate version of The Bends could be cool.

Hail to the Thief probably has a lot of really good, punchy demos they fucked up.

The one thing about Radiohead is they're such bad judges of songs, at times, that inevitably there's demos we'll never ever see which are better than say Bodysnatchers.

The obvious thing to hope from an IR special edition would be the original Videotape. Perhaps they'll have come round to it by then, like they did with I Promise.

Thom recorded three CDs of demos for HTTT, and even gave them titles. I'd love to hear those.

• Like 1

you've probably already heard this, but in case you haven't, one song from those three CDs was released way back when - a demo of Where I End and You Begin:

2 hours ago, Duff said:

The obvious thing to hope from an IR special edition would be the original Videotape. Perhaps they'll have come round to it by then, like they did with I Promise.

Thom recorded three CDs of demos for HTTT, and even gave them titles. I'd love to hear those.

Wouldn’t mind hearing the 2006 versions of go slowly and down is the new up too, songs they also butchered in the studio imho. 

1 hour ago, Duff said:

Yep, Thom's There There demo was released too.

oh right.  i forgot about that.  it was on one of the HTTT b-sides.  i didn't think that demo was so good, but then again i haven't listened to it in over a decade.  i should give it another listen.