Sign in to follow this  
Zane

we did a Kid A jazz thing

here it is: https://ufile.io/odavr

we only got together the day before and some of it was quite hard and as a result there are some annoying goofs in places but the vibe is still there, I think. My fault for not organising rehearsals! Thought it may be of interest if anyone is still here. also i didn't think about what to do with EIIRP so i just kind of fucked around. last minute jazz. there's the excuses out of the way. 

ps arrangements are by me and i'm playing the piano

Edited by Zane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know here in Perth there has been a jazz band performing nights exclusive to Radiohead music.Sure is a little different.

9 hours ago, Zane said:

Good to see atease is alive and well

I think the living will soon envy the dead!

Just as a matter of interest Paranoid Bandroid is the name of the jazz act here in Perth playing Radiohead shows. 

Looks like you made it to the reddit page.  Will listen from this when I get the chance since it's easier than downloading.

• Like 2

I found myself taken back to both the first time that i listened to KID A, and the earliest days of when I started to listen to jazz..!! Rick, I never thought i would get to return to those moments and experiences! 

To me it is a clear indication that, even more than i had previously realized, you really have a musical mind and overall self that can reach the essences of why ideas within compositions work the ways that they do, and why they can reach and resonate with people.  This allows you and your group to recreate and combine them in ways that are pure.  Non-jazz-listeners may be confused by the word pure but it is basically "a location that feels unusually and truly pure" that musicians, with a rich tradition of it occurring within jazz, can reach, and take the listeners and audiences with them.  KID A as an album is especially an unusually potent dance between a still purity and a chaotic purity. 

This is by far one of my favorite jazz recordings, so thank you for creating!! The combination of mic placement, not overpracticing, and the arrangements themselves, it is the same as a classic Village Vanguard recording to me!

I am glad to hear that you will continue this method at the Vortex!!  Hopefully Feels is on the way this year or next!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, duaessences as clay become said:

I found myself taken back to both the first time that i listened to KID A, and the earliest days of when I started to listen to jazz..!! Rick, I never thought i would get to return to those moments and experiences! 

To me it is a clear indication that, even more than i had previously realized, you really have a musical mind and overall self that can reach the essences of why ideas within compositions work the ways that they do, and why they can reach and resonate with people.  This allows you and your group to recreate and combine them in ways that are pure.  Non-jazz-listeners may be confused by the word pure but it is basically "a location that feels unusually and truly pure" that musicians, with a rich tradition of it occurring within jazz, can reach, and take the listeners and audiences with them.  KID A as an album is especially an unusually potent dance between a still purity and a chaotic purity. 

This is by far one of my favorite jazz recordings, so thank you for creating!! The combination of mic placement, not overpracticing, and the arrangements themselves, it is the same as a classic Village Vanguard recording to me!

I am glad to hear that you will continue this method at the Vortex!!  Hopefully Feels is on the way this year or next!!

As in the Animal Collective album? That would be brilliant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, duaessences as clay become said:

Mossy, you're the best.

• Like 2

Thanks Mossy

i’d love to do Feels but I’m not sure how much commercial appeal that would have. We’re definitely doing Kid A again somewhere else though. Hopefully we’ll not fuck the start of the title track up next time. 

Amnesiac is next for sure, probably in 3 months time 

• Like 3

I rather enjoyed it. Well what I listened to so far. Didn’t really notice any blanted fuck up on kida. But again that’s jazz, easier to hide little bits and pieces. 

What I liked was the familiarness to the music but than again not knowing what was coming next from the arrangement. Overall very well done and great music to have playing while reading a book. I would love to see this live over a couple cocktails. 

This was damn good, Zane. Great arrangements and really good players.

Super looking forward to hearing y'all do Amnesiac :classic_love:

On 2/14/2019 at 4:03 PM, Zane said:

Thanks Mossy

i’d love to do Feels but I’m not sure how much commercial appeal that would have. We’re definitely doing Kid A again somewhere else though. Hopefully we’ll not fuck the start of the title track up next time. 

Amnesiac is next for sure, probably in 3 months time 

Amnesiac??!! That will be incredible!!  It does seem that to play through each song in sequence would bring many elusive and fascinating emotions that will build upon eachother in ways that you will find very surprising; not because it is Radiohead's music, but, because it is specifically that music, those compositions and your group transformations of them!  

On 2/13/2019 at 10:47 PM, MarkGrace said:

Mossy, you're the best.

I am glad that somehow about a year after atease disappeared, that it is once again here and that many of us found our way back!  I get what Zane is saying, that it is not exactly active, but it is allowing discussion and chatting to happen very gradually and naturally which is especially good for between~times such as this! 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 4:03 PM, Zane said:

Thanks Mossy

i’d love to do Feels but I’m not sure how much commercial appeal that would have.

!!  Perhaps, there would be a way to do it during the same week that Animal Collective would have their London tour dates.  Sometimes over here that happens and it is called often something like an "aftershow" and it doesn't have to be official, it is just somewhere for fans to go after the main concert!  Or it can be scheduled to happen some days before the concerts that would have increased interest to fans getting in the mood!

The plans for the upcoming album, said by someone from Animal Collective, are that it will be "swampy and jazzy"!!

Looks like we’re gonna do amnesiac April 19th, which is a bitch as I’m gonna have to write the arrangements in a massive hurry 😕 

at midnight you can all get hella stoned!

then FORGET THE WHOLE DAMN NIGHT AWAY!