Sign in to follow this  
LLOYD!

Who is your new Radiohead?

We all remember the night (day) we discovered Radiohead. Be it the first time we listened to OK Computer in our boudoir, or the first time we heard Creep on Radio Cool College Fuckr; perhaps it was our introduction to Kid A that got the proverbial bollock rolling. WHATEVER THE CASE! We all remember.

Radiohead have gone quiet in the 2010s. A whole decade, just TWO albums, what the hell is this?! They released three ginormous albums in the 1990s, and four beautiful albums in 2000s; this decade has been a sham in comparison, but two albums, one of which was the eight track TKOL (What the heck?!), which left us all wanting (for more!). So no DOUBT we've all moved on, just as the world has!

In the 2000s one required the enlistment of Atease to keep up-to-date with the 'head; in this decade a simple Google-cum-reddit-sesh will suffice. So who is your new Radiohead? Id est, which band have you discovered in the last 5-10 (nay 15!) years who now keeps you satisfied? ('I Want To Hold Your Hand' reference!). Do fucking tell!

Tell us! Tell me gAaron gBailey! Caught acting gAyly!

:classic_ninja:

P.S. For my part, there is no band-o-nomic replacement, but Spotify's 'Discover Weekly' playlist now keeps me satiated. I DO love that new CHVRCHES song! But they SUCK! as a band :classic_sad: I HATE pop-punk! But 'My Enemy' is a GOOD song!

:classic_dry:

EY! Fucker!

AIDS :classic_sad:

:classic_smile:

P.P.S. Don't say Animal Collective, you FUCKS!

Edited by LLOYD!

I've really been enjoying Manchester Orchestra, especially their Black Mile To The Surface album. But still love me Radiohead.

17 hours ago, MarkGrace said:

Is this an Ash dupe account?

I’m very confused by this weird Ash-like mashup post

When I post in other people's threads, I post normally, but when one creates one's own thread, one must do it Ash-style; twas ever thus.

no no, please, don't try and post like Ash. No one else can do it, all attempts are sickeningly unfunny. Stop it. 

• Like 2

Talk about missing the point. No one tries, it just happens. Anyway, I was there in the early days when Ash didn't talk like that yet and he got a lot of it from me.

On 1/16/2019 at 4:50 PM, LLOYD! said:

Talk about missing the point. No one tries, it just happens. Anyway, I was there in the early days when Ash didn't talk like that yet and he got a lot of it from me.

Not something to be proud of.

20 hours ago, cosplusisin said:

Beach House

I really like Beach House, especially Bloom and 7, but they can't touch Radiohead in terms of artistic integrity. Too much of their shit sounds the same.

Here are my top contemporary bands that are still putting out good music:

1. Radiohead

2. Grizzly Bear

3. Deerhunter

4. Tame Impala

5. Spoon

1 minute ago, Scatterbrain said:

Too much of their shit sounds the same.

2. Grizzly Bear

3. Deerhunter

:classic_mellow:

Just now, LLOYD! said:

:classic_mellow:

Uhh, maybe Yellow House suffers from sounding the same, but Painted Ruins is fucking brilliant. All songs sound different. Also, Deerhunter has done a great job of switching up their sound for each album.

I guess we all have a different metric as to what constitutes diversity within a band's sound.

35 minutes ago, Scatterbrain said:

I really like Beach House, especially Bloom and 7, but they can't touch Radiohead in terms of artistic integrity. Too much of their shit sounds the same.

I don't think artistic integrity and having varied sound are the same thing.  In my opinion Beach House are one of the most artistic acts out there right now.  their instrumentation is usually very sparse, which creates a lot of space in the music.  the kinds of spaces they create are beautiful.  a lot of people criticize them for always using the same kind of instrumentation:  drum machine loop, keys, some decorative guitar, etc., but if that's their medium then that's their medium.  i respect that.  no one ever criticizes Nirvana for arranging all their songs with distorted power-chord guitars, drums, and bass, or Bach for writing so many fugues that sound "the same".  i feel like Beach House has created their own sound, their own genre, and they are free to explore it as deeply as they want.  i love pretty much all of it, and to me there are huge differences between their songs when you listen to the small details.  if you like some of their stuff i would encourage you to listen more closely.  and i don't mean that in a condescending way; i genuinely think you might find something in there that you didn't notice before.  Side note:  Scatterbrain has always been one of my absolute favourite RH songs, so in some senses maybe our tastes are similar!  or maybe you used to love that song but your taste changed.  oh i don't know.  this post is getting too long.

4 hours ago, cosplusisin said:

I don't think artistic integrity and having varied sound are the same thing.  In my opinion Beach House are one of the most artistic acts out there right now.  their instrumentation is usually very sparse, which creates a lot of space in the music.  the kinds of spaces they create are beautiful.  a lot of people criticize them for always using the same kind of instrumentation:  drum machine loop, keys, some decorative guitar, etc., but if that's their medium then that's their medium.  i respect that.  no one ever criticizes Nirvana for arranging all their songs with distorted power-chord guitars, drums, and bass, or Bach for writing so many fugues that sound "the same".  i feel like Beach House has created their own sound, their own genre, and they are free to explore it as deeply as they want.  i love pretty much all of it, and to me there are huge differences between their songs when you listen to the small details.  if you like some of their stuff i would encourage you to listen more closely.  and i don't mean that in a condescending way; i genuinely think you might find something in there that you didn't notice before.  Side note:  Scatterbrain has always been one of my absolute favourite RH songs, so in some senses maybe our tastes are similar!  or maybe you used to love that song but your taste changed.  oh i don't know.  this post is getting too long.

Don't get me wrong—I really, really like Beach House. I have everything from Devotion to 7 on vinyl (except Lucky Stars, still need to grab that). I think they make an awesome noise and I hope to see them do it live sometime soon! What I mean by "artistic integrity" is the constant refining and reworking of a song until it's perfect. We all know about Radiohead's perfectionism and them sitting on songs for years or decades to ensure they're "right". Same thing goes for Grizzly Bear's latest album—you can tell they toiled over making a perfect album, and in my humble opinion, they did. I get why some people aren't as into Deerhunter, especially the last two albums, but Halcyon Digest is still one of the best albums of this decade and was quite the artistic statement. I'm sure Beach House toils as well, but I don't feel like they push themselves as hard as they could and are a bit too comfortable in their sound, though I admit 7 was a huge step in the right direction compared to Lucky Stars/Depression Cherry (at least for me personally). 

As far as Nirvana is concerned, they were really only in the spotlight for 2.5 years before Kurt died and thus didn't have enough time to grow. I'm sure Kurt's musical output would have matured as he aged—and we got a glimpse of what could have been with Unplugged. I'd like to think he would have completely given up on distortion and power chords by the late 90s 🙂

And yes, Scatterbrain is still in my top 10 favorite Radiohead songs. Dunno if they'll ever top Daydreaming though, that shit is pure magic. I hope I'm wrong, though!

Edited by Scatterbrain

Nirvana doesn't seem like a very apt comparison given they only made three studio albums.  There's a pretty clear arc in those three records, and from my perspective they never feel as same-y as Beach House within the same record.  I like Beach House generally, but definitely relate to the sentiment of listening to an album and finding little variation, and then experiencing the same from album to album.  I did think 7 felt like a change of pace, but didn't much care for it.

Nirvana is interesting.  Bleach was heavy and pretty unrefined, and only in hindsight did you see the genesis of songsmith Kurt (for example, About a Girl) that emerged on Nevermind.  Then In Utero sort of fused the noisier and unrefined side of Bleach with the songcraft and more polished writing of Nevermind.  I think that's probably why many feel In Utero is the best summation of what Nirvana was over their career, and fits within an arc that makes pretty clear sense.  It is interesting to think about what might have happened after that record had Kurt not killed himself.  I do think that if they were five or six records on mining the same sound as those first three records people would have probably started to criticize more.  Even Kurt after In Utero acknowledged he wasn't sure how much further they could take their sound with the same lineup and setup, so it's interesting to wonder what might have happened.

On 1/16/2019 at 8:50 AM, LLOYD! said:

What was your old user name?