chernobyl2

Ill Wind getting single release

11 minutes ago, Duff said:

I don't get this at all. It was a sparse arrangement but that's what was so cool about it. All the elements stood out in definition. It wasn't just the jumble of noises that the studio version became. And it had contrasts! When Jonny's riff comes in on that version it's awesome.

The entire first half before the "broken hearts" breakdown feels really empty and unpolished. It doesn't really stand out until the synth kicks in, which is admittedly better in TKOL's live version.

Man, I dig it like that. It's just percussion and voice, almost like Idioteque. And that means there's space for the vocal harmonies to flesh themselves out.

I love how skeletal it is. And that's why it's dramatic when we have guitar and bass in the second verse.

Edited by Duff

never enjoyed any iteration of identikit. opening harmonies always sounded like shit and the jonny riff on the original live version was kinda lame. there's just something embarassingly "edgy" about the whole thing

currently it kills the momentum of the album for me and I find it hard to get back into after :classic_sad:

Ill wind is nice, though I'm not sure where it fits on the album 

Identikit is one of my favs tbh. I really like it. I do agree about the broken hearts part on the studio version though. I liked the 2012 arrangement better where thom was just playing that cool synth part without the chorus. But I do like aspects of the studio version there, primarily the production. I think overall Nigel really shines on that album.

Edited by Black Jesus

This was a very good surprise; though the song was known and heard, the feelings that they made it openly part of their catalogue adds some context to the song!  I would say similarly to how I want none of this was brought to concerts in 2006, it gave a sense of wishing to newly explore with and share in the growing and changing of the song! 

a bit of a basic post idea here but I do wonder whether there will be concerts at which Ill Wind is performed?

It wouldn't really have fit within the AMSP tour setlistsl I am not sure that even Lift or Big Boots would have fit either, the sounds comprising the songs themselves are just distinct enough from the sounds of all of the other songs they had brought.  But, I Promise fit very strongly in a few concerts!