chernobyl2

Ill Wind getting single release

Terrific song. A masterclass in fuck-you key changes. Shoulda been on the album instead of The Numbers ("The Bumblers", I call it) or Glass Eyes ("Arse Wipe", I call it).

I think it's so great that pretty much all their stuff has ended up on streaming services. But why are we still waiting for I Want None of This? Must be something to do with the fact it was a charity single.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Duff said:

But why are we still waiting for I Want None of This? Must be something to do with the fact it was a charity single.

I doubt it, they had no trouble putting Lucky on OK Computer. Perhaps Thom just wants none of this.

Would love to ask the band why this didn't make the record.  It's certainly better than a handful of tracks that did.

32 minutes ago, MarkGrace said:

Would love to ask the band why this didn't make the record.  It's certainly better than a handful of tracks that did.

It's for a sure a stronger musical track than some of AMSP, but I do think in terms of theme, it doesn't quite fit. It's a classic Radiohead b-side... better than a lot of the album, but I just don't see where it could possibly go on AMSP. 

That would be my takeaway as well, I'm just not sure if that's the band's takeaway.  There's at least one Jonny interview out there that seems to imply they (or maybe just he?) don't think much about the themes or ideas when putting together a record.

49 minutes ago, Duder said:

After that spicey Mexican food yesterday, I had of bit of ill wind.

Build the wall :classic_ninja:

I think ill wind is what much of AMSP sounded like before Nigel and thom added the layers to the songs on the album after the band was out of the studio. 

I think ill wind wind would be perfect on the album If the songs were as stripped back as it is. 

There is is a lot we don’t know and may never know about what went down during those sessions and after and in between. I think we are just lucky they didn’t formally break up over the personal tensions and material they were working with. 

5 minutes ago, Robjonas said:

I think ill wind is what much of AMSP sounded like before Nigel and thom added the layers to the songs on the album after the band was out of the studio.

They're all a bit guilty of that; Jonny is known for embellishing songs with weird effects, and Ed loves his pedals.

3 hours ago, MarkGrace said:

I'd bet a billion quid it's just because it didn't feel right in the track list.

I think it'd slot right in, myself. It adds a bit of extra vinegar, which I think is missing from the album (it's otherwise only really supplied by Ful Stop and maybe Tinker) and the bosa nova feel links it to Present Tense.

Edited by Duff

50 minutes ago, Robjonas said:

A few weird assumptions there.

The one thing that bothers me about Ill Will is some of Thom's phrasing. Like, he breaks the syllables up in a few weird places.

3 minutes ago, Duff said:

I'd bet a billion quid it's just because it didn't feel right in the track list.

It was too much effort once alphabetical order had done the work for them!

7 hours ago, LLOYD! said:

I doubt it, they had no trouble putting Lucky on OK Computer. Perhaps Thom just wants none of this.

Manager:  Hey Thom, do you want that charity song from 2005 on this streaming platform?

[Manager shows Spotify to Thom, Thom browses through Spotify for a moment]

Thom:  I want none of "I Want None of This" on this.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Duff said:

A few weird assumptions there.

What I’m saying is, I think ill wind sounds unflinished. Much like how I think the songs that appeared on AMSP sounded like when they were done recording in France. 

We know nigel and thom finished this album and the input the from the rest of the band is kinda unknown. Since thom tweeted at Jonny that the album wasn’t done it kinda shows the disconnect from some the of members to the final process. 

Ill wind unlike some other bsides sounds like the rest of the album. Just doesn’t have the production that the album seems to have over top of it. 

I remember how disappointed everyone was when I Want None Of This came out; everyone was expecting a new Lucky, instead we got a new We Suck Young Blood.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:59 AM, thanasiskar said:

Ιll Wind would be amazing between Glass Eyes & Identikit.

But "D" comes before "L", so it would have to come right after Identikit, wouldn't it?