Jump to content
chernobyl2

Ill Wind getting single release

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, LLOYD! said:

I remember how disappointed everyone was when I Want None Of This came out; everyone was expecting a new Lucky, instead we got a new We Suck Young Blood.

I actually really liked I Want None of This when it came out.  I remember that it reminded me of Neil Young's "Soldier" when I first heard it.

I also remember thinking it had a bit of a haunted house vibe, which, yes, We Suck Young Blood also has.  Down is the New Up, too (which, of course, came later).  I was excited to think the whole next album might have that feel.  It didn't.  But In Rainbows was pretty good nonetheless.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cosplusisin said:

I actually really liked I Want None of This when it came out.  I remember that it reminded me of Neil Young's "Soldier" when I first heard it.

I also remember thinking it had a bit of a haunted house vibe, which, yes, We Suck Young Blood also has.  Down is the New Up, too (which, of course, came later).  I was excited to think the whole next album might have that feel.  It didn't.  But In Rainbows was pretty good nonetheless.

It's fine, but let's put it this way, Lucky was so good that they put it on OK Computer, even though it was nearly two years old. I Want None Of This was played live a handful of times in 2006 and that was pretty much it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see what you're saying.  That's true.  It certainly wasn't the instant classic that Lucky was.  I was fortunate enough to be at one of those 2006 shows when they did play it (Montreal) and it was pretty exciting to hear that one live.

But yeah, Lucky is pretty awesome.  Incidentally, I just listened to OKC for the first time in ages (maybe a year?) the other day and particularly enjoyed Lucky 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were you at the gig where Thom said 'shut up you cunt' to a member of the audience during IWNOT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 8:19 PM, LLOYD! said:

It's fine, but let's put it this way, Lucky was so good that they put it on OK Computer, even though it was nearly two years old. I Want None Of This was played live a handful of times in 2006 and that was pretty much it.

It is interesting to contemplate, I certainly had not realized it until now with this context, how Daydreaming certainly does fulfill the promise of a full band version of I want none of this!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 3:22 PM, Duff said:

The one thing that bothers me about Ill Will is some of Thom's phrasing. Like, he breaks the syllables up in a few weird places.

I didn't hear it when it was initially released because I was unable, although, I don't remember anyone on atease mentioning: Is it sped up at all? 

I slowed it down by about 3 1/2 percent and it sounds really natural this way!  I am not sure how to tell what the actual original speed might be, but someone else might!

Maybe that is what you are noticing, the vocals would be moving through the words faster than they were actually sung? 

Edited by duaessences as clay become

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LLOYD! said:

Were you at the gig where Thom said 'shut up you cunt' to a member of the audience during IWNOT?

no, that was a different show in another city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Ill Wind. I like the chord structures in the middle and end of the song. Interesting and tense.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, duaessences as clay become said:

I didn't hear it when it was initially released because I was unable, although, I don't remember anyone on atease mentioning: Is it sped up at all? 

I slowed it down by about 3 1/2 percent and it sounds really natural this way!  I am not sure how to tell what the actual original speed might be, but someone else might!

Maybe that is what you are noticing, the vocals would be moving through the words faster than they were actually sung? 

Nah, it's not that.

It's just where he chooses to break up the syllables. Like in the first line, "your distance" comes weirdly early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 9:03 AM, LLOYD! said:

I remember how disappointed everyone was when I Want None Of This came out; everyone was expecting a new Lucky, instead we got a new We Suck Young Blood.

We were expecting a full-band track as it was basically hyped as such. People sat around refreshing waiting for it to drop and there was an announcement an hour or two before that there it was a piano-based track or something IIRC. That was the disappointment. I remember skipping a college class that morning to hear it and was pissed that all that hype of a new RH track was just a Thom track. Good song though. 7/10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2019 at 5:43 AM, Duff said:

Nah, it's not that.

It's just where he chooses to break up the syllables. Like in the first line, "your distance" comes weirdly early.

The one that bothers me is "nev-er-be spok-en".  Thom's phrasing is made more awkward by staying on the same note for "nev-er-be"- otherwise Ill Wind is a pleasure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, appearcomposed said:

I don't think AMSP was all that good.

I don't think you're all that good.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, appearcomposed said:

I don't think AMSP was all that good.

I way preferred Moon Shaped Pool to King Of Limbs. TKOL was probably their first album I've struggled to get into and I've loved hem right from the start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think AMSP is good - probably my 4th favourite Radiohead album tied with In Rainbows. It could’ve been in my top 3 if they traded out Identikit and The Numbers with Ill Wind and Spectre.

 

Identikit might be one of my least favourite Radiohead songs actually.

Edited by htttawar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it sounds mental but I find Identikit genuinely a bit queasy. Something about the dubby arrangement and the cartoonishness of the choir, the way it's so noodly, and the amount of tinkering with the editing and drum EQing.

It was amazing on the TKOL tour. Clean and poppy and sharp. It had definition and contrast and drama. I've always been on the fence about the Videotape debate, but Identikit is a tragedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Identikit is one of their most interesting songs, but I agree that the finished article isn't as strong as it could have been, especially given the original live arrangement. I always felt (and still feel) the same way about Videotape; an interesting song rendered bland in the studio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Videotape is beautiful.  Identikit is one of their most awful songs as it has the unforgivable cringe-worthy "broken hearts make it rain".  The two parts of the song never meld together or play off each other successfully.  It gets .1 of a point for hiding the "moon-shaped pool" lyric, but otherwise i would trade out this song for nearly anything else.  I'll take three Ill Winds, finished or not instead (to circle back).  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 2:32 AM, thatthere said:

The one that bothers me is "nev-er-be spok-en".  Thom's phrasing is made more awkward by staying on the same note for "nev-er-be"- otherwise Ill Wind is a pleasure.  

Yes! That's exactly it. That's the other line that's weird. If "ne - ver - be" each had the same length it would work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps you'd all be happier if Thom got a computer to sing it, that way it would be perfect and you could all sleep at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current live rendition of Identikit is better than TKOL tour Identikit, studio version aside. TKOL's Identikit felt so barren and unfinished (because it was). 

I'd also argue the live rendition of Videotape is the best version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

TKOL's Identikit felt so barren and unfinished (because it was). 

I don't get this at all. It was a sparse arrangement but that's what was so cool about it. All the elements stood out in definition. It wasn't just the jumble of noises that the studio version became. And it had contrasts! When Jonny's riff comes in on that version it's awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×