Eliminator

RADIOHEAD LP10

8 hours ago, Twist said:

I wouldn't be shocked either. My theory is that AMSP is kind of Nigel's work. There's something about it that makes me think they just did a 3 week session without being quite sure about it, and then out of all that raw material Nigel put together a proper album by himself, and they liked it. Most of the songs are heavily edited and the arrangements are not as focused and polished as in previous albums.

Nigel: "One of them is just that it’s all recorded on 8-track tape, except for three songs that were recorded using 24-track tape loops. I did that to bring everything together and keep them focused. Because otherwise it wouldn’t have happened … In the end, we went to a residential studio in the south of France for three weeks and then I went off and I just put it all together myself."

• Like 1

It feels that way. And the way they ignore the material live is just stunning. 

Its been what 11 years since maybe the last time they recorded as a band. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robjonas said:

It feels that way. And the way they ignore the material live is just stunning. 

Its been what 11 years since maybe the last time they recorded as a band. 

They're hardly ignoring AMSP live tbh. They play 4-6 songs from it almost every night.

4 hours ago, section 917 said:

I have a feeling the band will be reconvening in September.

More likely Thom will finish LP3 in September with a release planned for Christmas.

12 hours ago, Bacon said:

They're hardly ignoring AMSP live tbh. They play 4-6 songs from it almost every night.

Barely 4 most shows. 

Daydreaming snd fulstop are the only 100% at this point. 

BTW, lead single 1st song, they play other albums 1st song over this one nightly, Bloom, 15 step and have a better chance of hearing there there, airbag or the TNA over it .

Deck just finally made a come back but even that could be missed even with 2-3 shows from this leg .

DID, the numbers are played on and off.

Present Tense and Identik are rare songs now.

Glass Eyes and Tinker are gone. 

I won’t comment on TLW for obvious reasons  but for any other release the album opener and closer would be nightly staples.

what other tour would go to 2-3 shows and maybe only hear half of the current album? Most other tours after 2/3 shows you heard maybe the whole album plus current b sides  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Robjonas said:

Barely 4 most shows. 

Daydreaming snd fulstop are the only 100% at this point. 

BTW, lead single 1st song, they play other albums 1st song over this one nightly, Bloom, 15 step and have a better chance of hearing there there, airbag or the TNA over it .

Deck just finally made a come back but even that could be missed even with 2-3 shows from this leg .

DID, the numbers are played on and off.

Present Tense and Identik are rare songs now.

Glass Eyes and Tinker are gone. 

I won’t comment on TLW for obvious reasons  but for any other release the album opener and closer would be nightly staples.

what other tour would go to 2-3 shows and maybe only hear half of the current album? Most other tours after 2/3 shows you heard maybe the whole album plus current b sides  

all fair points. I've seen 14 shows on the AMSP tour so far (Philly shows will be 15 and 16), and I've yet to see them play Glass Eyes, Tinker Tailor or True Love Waits. I get why Glass Eyes never gets played but it should still be included with some frequency (a la Codex on the TKOL tour); TT should be played with at least the same frequency as Decks Dark. TLW situation speaks for itself.

Edited by Eliminator
  • Like 1

All previous tours featured around 10 songs from the album (+ b-sides) they were touring, and sometimes more. This was still the case in the second year of the tour (2004, 2009).

For this reason alone, even if they are putting together cool setlists, bringing back old classics and giving great performances, this AMSP tour hasn't felt as compelling to me as previous ones. Not to mention, of course, the inevitable greatest hits/farewell feel that this gives to the tour.

I enjoyed way more my 2012 shows than the one in 2016 — even if the sets look worse, there was a freshness and an adventurousness to what they were doing that is missing now.

I feel my 2018 show was miles above the last time I saw them in 2012...A TKOL heavy set (Little by Little, Magpie, GOTG, Staircase) etc verses A Moon Shaped Pool set with Daydreaming, Ful Stop, Decks Dark fleshed out with 2+2=5, Airbag, No Surprises, The Daily Mail, WIEYB, FTP, HTDC etc and the entire vibe from the crowd to the performance was MUCH better in 2018..

In 2012 half the people around me felt like they were just there for a show or disinterested where as in 2018 almost everyone around me was as into the songs and knew them all as well as I did..Maybe it was so good because these indeed are, their last shows ever. 

I haven't seen a show that had less than 5 AMSP tracks. Daydreaming, Ful Stop, DID, Decks Dark, Burn the Witch, Identikit, The Numbers, and Present Tense (even Spectre if you want to include that one) are all played very commonly. As much as we'd like to see stuff like Glass Eyes and Tinker Tailor return, I still think it's not true to say they're ignoring AMSP when each night it usually has the most songs played per album. They might be saving those other ones to break out in a future tour in the same way they held back songs like Optimistic and Wolf.

Remember the In Rainbows tour when they just about played EVERY song from that album every night? (At least once they sorted out Jigsaw after the first few nights.) And then a disk 2 cut once in a while? I kinda wish this tour was like that. Sure we are getting Spectre once in a while. But what about the OKNOTOK cuts? Ill Wind? Don’t get me wrong, these sets are killer good. But it would be great to, oh I don’t know, hear the songs from the album they’re promoting.

• Like 1

They're hardly promoting OKNOTOK at this point. They performed I Promise last year around the time it was dropping and it's been a year since the remaster. It'd be nice to see Lift or Man of War but anything beyond that would be pointless. And no one even knows about Ill Wind and they can't even easily buy it so it wouldn't be promoting that album either.

7 hours ago, section 917 said:

Maybe it was so good because these indeed are, their last shows ever. 

There's currently no evidence to support this and there are boatloads of evidence contradicting this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

These are definitely not their last shows ever. I just can't believe it, and I won't.

I saw them twice in Chicago and then in Cincinnati. Thom has never seemed happier, and the band look like they're really enjoying themselves. They're not the kind of guys to stop doing what they love.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, section 917 said:

I feel my 2018 show was miles above the last time I saw them in 2012...

Went to the Boston night 2 and agree 100%. The band seemed more energized in general and the AMSP stuff (Daydreaming, Ful Stop, Burn the Witch and Deck Dark) was incredible.

Edited by Limbo

9 hours ago, devilhood said:

These are definitely not their last shows ever. I just can't believe it, and I won't.

I saw them twice in Chicago and then in Cincinnati. Thom has never seemed happier, and the band look like they're really enjoying themselves. They're not the kind of guys to stop doing what they love.

They have also had friends and family at many of the shows.  I've seen them soooo many times and I can't believe how well Thom has been singing (well except Bodysnatchers).  In Columbus he was top form and I've tried to watch every other show via stream and they have also been in top form.  I love this band! 

Just now, booger bear said:

They have also had friends and family at many of the shows.  I've seen them soooo many times and I can't believe how well Thom has been singing (well except Bodysnatchers).  In Columbus he was top form and I've tried to watch every other show via stream and they have also been in top form.  I love this band! 

My wife said the same. Thom's voice is absofuckingcredible during this tour, so it was such a priviledge to bring her to these gigs when they're in SUCH good spirits and health. Myxo, There There, Wolf and 2+2=5 were always performed flawlessly.

I remastered the audio from a taper that went to Chicago's second night, and I'm in the process of getting personal permission to upload to Dime. Happy to share a private link to those who want it though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, devilhood said:

2+2=5 were always performed flawlessly

Except for that one time Jonny missed his cue in Cincy lol

Posted (edited)

Ed says there is no new music at the moment

there was a group that met him after the show Boston night 2

Disclaimer that this is second hand, but reliable 

I trust Ed to know what's what 

Edited by thatthere
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Bacon said:

Except for that one time Jonny missed his cue in Cincy lol

OH SHIT. Part of the charm I guess, kinda like 97 Glasto Lucky. I don't have the recording from Cincy yet so I already forgot he ever fluffed. Jonny can get away with murder. Actually he could probably get away with actual stab stab murder, because of how well his hair can hide his face.

1 minute ago, thatthere said:

Ed says there is no new music at the moment

there was a group that met him after the show Boston night 2

Disclaimer that this is second hand, but reliable 

I trust Ed to know what's what 

No new music, but hell there is plenty of old and unreleased.

• Like 1