Eliminator

RADIOHEAD LP10

I've also heard that Decks Dark is something special to people who have or known people with cancer. 

Myth, I'm glad you are on the up and up.  Always know if you need to talk to someone you can come here.  

19 hours ago, Foiegrastyle said:

That’s beautiful.  Did you by any chance ask therapists to have Radiohead on during your RT? 

No, I couldn't have headphones on during my treatments because they were done using the breath hold technique (reduces radiation to heart and lungs) so I had to be able to hear the techs giving me instructions over the speaker on when to hold and release.

I did have an MRI once where they gave me headphones with Spotify, and when they asked me what I wanted to listen to I had them put on AMSP.

19 hours ago, booger bear said:

I've also heard that Decks Dark is something special to people who have or known people with cancer. 

Myth, I'm glad you are on the up and up.  Always know if you need to talk to someone you can come here.  

Yeah, I saw someone mention feeling this way about DD in a thread in old.Main one time, and I talked about it once with someone else here, too, so there seem to be a few of us who are struck the same way by it. Honestly, it would not at all surprise me to learn that it was written about what Thom went through with Rachel and her cancer.

Thanks for the supportive comments. I'm, uh, not used to being this sincere on atease. Was a little nervous about it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2018 at 9:16 PM, hysterical.useless said:

I randomly watched the Lotus Flower video earlier today, then saw this picture cross my feed and was reminded again: my god, how has Thom aged so much in just seven years.

88B4B02C-EC60-43A7-817F-B2161B4136B1.jpeg

God damn. This was phenomenal but gave me way too many THIS IT IT feelings.

Edited by MarkGrace
Autocorrect

Posted (edited)

The idea that Radiohead are going to stop touring or recording soon has absolutely no evidence behind it (note that Thom looking a bit middle-aged these days is not evidence). in fact Phil recently said he expected them to continue for the foreseeable future. It's something fans like to think about because it's a romantic notion and makes the experience they are having now feel more urgent and precious. Remember when Videotape felt like a goodbye?

Edited by Duff

Yeah one more summer tour playing all the old hits but not featuring any new material at all. This is pretty much it for Radiohead and I'm not just talking touring-wise. Ending on a high note I suppose.

I thought 2016 felt like more of a goodbye. 

TLW as the last song on a what seemed like a very personal album, than the very public news release of the breakup. Followed by a weird tour choice of venue and dates. Small venues in the EU, 2 nights in NYC and two in LA. Stripped down production. After dealing with the nightmare of the 2012 tour. Than the news of the death. 

Hoesntly if they survived all that professional and personal drama and are still touring in 2018, and seem like they are on good spirits and sounding great and selling out arenas which they have never played before, I just don’t see this as the end. 

They are are in a position to do what they want, when they want and how they want. Truth is they could never release new music again or tour again and never ha e to worry money for the rest of their lives. They will never feel forced to do anything, release anything, deal with record contracts or finding income to support their bad choices of investments or hard core coke habits. 

Because of this they will will in sometime frame after doing solo work, etc want to work again with each other in some Radiohead related project. Cause they want to, are inspired too and the love they have for each other. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Duff said:

The idea that Radiohead are going to stop touring or recording soon has absolutely no evidence behind it (note that Thom looking a bit middle-aged these days is not evidence). in fact Phil recently said he expected them to continue for the foreseeable future. It's something fans like to think about because it's a romantic notion and makes the experience they are having now feel more urgent and precious. Remember when Videotape felt like a goodbye?

It's Thom reminiscing and feeling nostalgic that throws me off the most.

I think we will get another album someday. However, I don't think this will happen anytime soon. When was the last time they played an unreleased song live? Before AMSP (disregarding FMA, which we new before and which was not played by the full band)? As Radiohead always used to test their new material live I don't think they really have written anything new post-AMSP yet...

17 minutes ago, chewbacca said:

I think we will get another album someday. However, I don't think this will happen anytime soon. When was the last time they played an unreleased song live? Before AMSP (disregarding FMA, which we new before and which was not played by the full band)? As Radiohead always used to test their new material live I don't think they really have written anything new post-AMSP yet...

I think cause it’s the amount of solo work. If Thom has release another solo album already we might have some new Radiohead material. But I wouldn’t be shocked if some material is in limbo between what will be AFP/Thom and what will be presented to the band. Plus with the smaller legs of touring I don’t think they have had the time on the road to work on new music outside of some minor rehearsal time. But most likely not enough time to play live or spend time sound checking. The time spend sound checking is for what they want to work on the song or venue for the show. 

20 minutes ago, chewbacca said:

I think the YouTube era might have something to do with this. It is a very different thing for such a relevant band to try out a new, half-baked song in 2018 than what it was in 2006. The level of scrutiny and the quality of the bootlegs... it is basically like releasing the song.

Posted (edited)

Bootlegs have never bothered them before. They performed Identikit on the TKOL tour on pro-shot streamed shows. Twice.

Edited by Duff

It maybe years or longer before it would be talked about publicly, but as close as they were to possible break up after Toronto, I would not be shocked if they were close to calling it after AMSP sessions. 

Posted (edited)

Why would they stop after Thom, Phil, and Ed have all explicitly said last year that they have no intention of stopping yet?

They've been extremely busy for the past 3 years. They want a break to work on solo stuff and want to end this era out strong but to actually end the band after this would be pretty hypocritical considering how much they've been talking about their potential and how they're excited to be continuing on past this.

Edited by Bacon

1 hour ago, Duff said:

Bootlegs have never bothered them before. They performed Identikit on the TKOL tour on pro-shot streamed shows. Twice.

Then we got all the news items (and the fan speculation) on how AMSP surely was their last because most of the songs were "old".

1 hour ago, Robjonas said:

It maybe years or longer before it would be talked about publicly, but as close as they were to possible break up after Toronto, I would not be shocked if they were close to calling it after AMSP sessions. 

I wouldn't be shocked either. My theory is that AMSP is kind of Nigel's work. There's something about it that makes me think they just did a 3 week session without being quite sure about it, and then out of all that raw material Nigel put together a proper album by himself, and they liked it. Most of the songs are heavily edited and the arrangements are not as focused and polished as in previous albums.

The only thing I'm certain of is that Thom and Jonny will be making new music until the day they die. Making music is in their blood; it's what they do beyond any professional concerns.

Colin, Ed, and Phil are enigmas. I think they very much enjoy being in the band and making music together. But - and perhaps it just seems this way because they are not as "big" as Thom and Jonny - I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to close up shop at some point.

My sense is that insofar as all of their relationships are good, the latter three will want to continue as long as Thom and Jonny do.

I thought it was interesting when Jonny said a year or so ago - I think it was while promoting Phantom Thread - that whenever he writes a new song he has Radiohead in mind first. He's always writing as if he's writing new Radiohead material, and from there he can decide if it works best for Radiohead or his solo material. That was really telling to me.

• Like 1

Phil - November 2017 -  "In terms of Radiohead, we will absolutely carry on."

Thom - June 2017 - “I don’t know how, or when, but no, we’re not gonna stop. I fucking hope not”

Jonny - February 2018 - "Radiohead seems to be slowing down. You know, Thom [Yorke] is doing great music by himself. And Ed [O’Brien] is currently recording a record on his own. At the same time, every time I write a new piece of music, in my head it’s headed for a Radiohead song; that’s where my head really is."

Ed - July 2017 - We’ll hang up our Radioheads. It’s time for everyone to go off and do their own thing for a bit.”

Nearly every band member has said they're taking a break but each one has emphasized that they have no intention of splitting. Even Jonny's, implying RH is "slowing down," still implies a temporary break leading to a return. As appropriate as AMSP feels as the end of the band, it doesn't make any sense to have the band speak this explicitly about continuing only to stop randomly not even a year later.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

Phil - November 2017 -  "In terms of Radiohead, we will absolutely carry on."

Thom - June 2017 - “I don’t know how, or when, but no, we’re not gonna stop. I fucking hope not”

Jonny - February 2018 - "Radiohead seems to be slowing down. You know, Thom [Yorke] is doing great music by himself. And Ed [O’Brien] is currently recording a record on his own. At the same time, every time I write a new piece of music, in my head it’s headed for a Radiohead song; that’s where my head really is."

Ed - July 2017 - We’ll hang up our Radioheads. It’s time for everyone to go off and do their own thing for a bit.”

Nearly every band member has said they're taking a break but each one has emphasized that they have no intention of splitting. Even Jonny's, implying RH is "slowing down," still implies a temporary break leading to a return. As appropriate as AMSP feels as the end of the band, it doesn't make any sense to have the band speak this explicitly about continuing only to stop randomly not even a year later.

but what about THE COLIN!??

Colin has sort of answered the question by continuing to study the bass guitar, his technique has improved in unusual and unexpecte ways.  Also he continues to be adjusting basslines to existing songs!  Optimistic has a new verse and chorus bassline this year, and, it somehow adds quite a lot for a song which always had amazing live bass guitar to it from the beginning!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chewbacca said:

but what about THE COLIN!??

Colin said this: "I don't know what’s going to happen after July, so I can't say anything beyond that. But I love the people that I work with, and I love what everyone does. So we’ll see. But I'm happy to go play anywhere else."

He also said he has no plans on doing any solo stuff so I doubt Colin's disagreeing with the others about continuing past this. And like the poster above me said, he's been exploring the bass a lot more recently, at least in live performances. Really not trying to jinx it but, like I said, it'd be hypocritical of them to just stop and call it quits after all the unambiguous talk of how they want to continue.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

Colin said this: "I don't know what’s going to happen after July, so I can't say anything beyond that. But I love the people that I work with, and I love what everyone does. So we’ll see. But I'm happy to go play anywhere else."

Is this from an interview or did someone talk to him before or after a concert or something similar?  

It does sound encouraging, also it does bring some uncertainty about whether there will be anything else this year or not!  If so it would be very much unexpected and unpredictable, which is lovely!!