pleasekeepmoving

Controversial opinions thread

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

Videotape (studio version) > Videotape (2006)

True Love Waits (studio version) > True Love Waits (acoustic)

Nude > Big Ideas

No, no, yes

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hardhead said:

I'll dip my toe in this thread:

Backdrifts > Gloaming

How is this controversial? Backdrifts is one of the standouts of HTTT. The Gloaming is not.

(Even though I believe The Gloaming is the album's linchpin, and should not be removed on hypothetical tracklist revisions.)

And even if you don't like Backdrifts it is still most certainly better than Gloam.

Gloam is one of the few things Radiohead fans have a very unified opinion on.

(I actually find Gloam kind of endearing these days. I just never want it to take up space on a setlist.)

Here's controversial: that " *long pause* / AH AH AHHHHHH / YOU FELL INTO OUR ARMS" moment on Backdrifts is maybe the single best moment on HTTT.

Edited by hysterical.useless

5 hours ago, Duff said:

Explain your opinions or have them ignored forever.

It's funny cause they were not explained and yet they were not ignored

I'll try to get around to explaining it soon, once I get all these summer grades submitted. @hysterical.useless did a nice job above, however. I'm surprised to see such support!

In the radiohead fan circles I've run in in the past, Backdrifts appreciation was not so widely shared.

• Like 1

Speaking of HTTT does anyone like the leaked different mixed version of it better?  I think the Gloaming and I Will are better as they longer but the vinyl master is the best.

Ugh I'm going to have to listen to HTTT again tonight before I go to bed.  

Just for reference

Kid A

OK Computer

In Rainbows

The Bends

A Moon Shaped Pool

Hail to the Theif 

Amnesiac

The King of Limbs

PH

57 minutes ago, booger bear said:

Speaking of HTTT does anyone like the leaked different mixed version of it better?  I think the Gloaming and I Will are better as they longer but the vinyl master is the best.

Love the unmastered / unfinished leak. Not sure if I like it more but I do love having alternate mixes of songs for a band like Radiohead. I wish we had more for every record. The dynamics on the HTTT leak are far superior. Love the mix on many of the songs (2+2, SDSU, Gloaming), others are so-so. And you’re right, the vinyl cut is the best of all three versions. 

5 hours ago, Twist said:

It's funny cause they were not explained and yet they were not ignored

Ignored by me, I meant. Are there other people on this forum?

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2018 at 3:23 AM, hysterical.useless said:

Gloam is one of the few things Radiohead fans have a very unified opinion on.

Which is what?

When I was first getting into Radiohead - which was shortly after HTTT came out - The Gloaming was the only song I actively disliked (ignoring Pablo Honey, which I didn't listen to at all for years and recall almost nothing about). It just seemed like a lot of bumpy noises and then Thom mumbling a half-baked melody over the top. It was like a sort of shit parody of Idioteque, like the song they would have made before Idioteque.

The genie-out-of-the-bottle lyric still makes me cringe a bit. In fact, in retrospect, HTTT was definitely the point where Thom moved from interesting, fractured images in his lyrics to on-the-nose cliche. We go from "throw it on the fire" and "laugh until my head comes off" to "genie let out of the bottle / it is now the witching hour". 

But now I am a different man. I find the odd bumpy noises fascinating. In fact, if you removed the swishy-swirly opening noises (as they do live) and opened right with the main bumpy-bump loop, it would make an intriguing sound to open an album with. The lyrics are still a bit "hmm" but in the context of the moralising fairytale world of HTTT - wolves at the door, Chicken Licken and so on - they're a bit more sensible. And as hysterical.useless said, it's thematically the album's most critical song.

The problem is that it's completely unfinished. This is the obvious and predictable thing to say, but the From the Basement performance demonstrates what the song could have been instead, a true fusion of machine and human noises, which is ostensibly what HTTT set out to explore. The use of Max to sample the live drumming is particularly fascinating. It's the biggest casualty of the HTTT rushjob.

So I don't dislike The Gloaming any more. And I went on to come to hate most of The Bends. You live, you learn, you grow.

When did they come up with the bone-rattlingly bassy live arrangement we know today, anyway? Did they perform it like that from day one?

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Duff said:

In fact, if you removed the swishy-swirly opening noises (as they do live) and opened right with the main bumpy-bump loop, it would make an intriguing sound to open an album with.

In my own hypothetical re-sequencing of HTTT, I have The Gloaming in the #2 slot right after the pure opener that is 2+2=5. (Thom choosing to re-sequence 2+2=5 toward the end of the album in his own revision is completely misguided, but I digress.) After the abrupt end of the opener, the "swishy-swirly" sounds are a hypnotic comedown, somewhat akin to the "tape-reversal" sound at the beginning of Daydreaming. I'm surprised by how well the transition works, and how much better The Gloaming becomes when sequenced this way.

Add the natural transition to There There in the third slot (There There had no business being buried in the middle-end of the album), and you have a very satisfying three-song opener:

2+2=5

The Gloaming

There There

You reminded me to check out the FTB performance of The Gloaming again . . .

Edited by hysterical.useless

I'm not sold on 2+2=5 as the opener. I'd cut the "that's a nice way to start, Jonny" studio chat in a heartbeat. Everyone loves it, ooh it's so cute, what a window into their world - eat my shorts, Radiohead albums are sealed universes, let's cut to the chase please. Maybe if you cut that intro it'd make more sense. (I always want the 2+2=5 intro to be tighter generally - those reverby popping noises are superfluous.)

I get where Thom was coming from when he put There There as track 1. If you're looking for an arresting sound to open your album with, those drums are it.

11 hours ago, Duff said:

When did they come up with the bone-rattlingly bassy live arrangement we know today, anyway? Did they perform it like that from day one?

Turns out the answer is yes. Here's the live debut (and rather good it is too): 

• Like 1

Great controversial opinion, because Sit Down Stand Up is one of the main songs that converted me to a serious Radiohead fan. No lie! Live it sort of sucks, but the studio version is super fascinating. 

51 minutes ago, Cmontheplane said:

Great controversial opinion, because Sit Down Stand Up is one of the main songs that converted me to a serious Radiohead fan. No lie! Live it sort of sucks, but the studio version is super fascinating. 

I love it.  It has an intensity and sense of just cutting loose that Radiohead rarely displays.