Jump to content
pleasekeepmoving

Controversial opinions thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, hysterical.useless said:

He's always been that way though. Well, at least since Kid A.

Exhibit A: my favorite Radiohead song, "Kid A"

I don't think so. The title Kid A has a feeling to it. The simplicity of it, the staccato rhythm, the informality of the word "kid" juxtaposed with the clinical-ness of the labelling A (as if this was the first of the children, so speak)... it's suggestive of something - a birth - an experiment - fuck knows what.

Same goes for the title Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors, which on the face of it is weird to the max, but has a weird logic to it. I mean, the lyrics are just Thom listing kinds of doors (apparently lifted from a kids' book) over a shambling abstract electronic noise - the typo in the title is evocative of that clattering, malfunctioning, spinning sound, so there you go, the two main elements of the song are perfectly represented.

Whereas "Decks Dark", I can't squeeze anything out of that stone.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate Everything in it's Right Place live.  I don't understand why they keep playing at every show.  The studio version is excellent but the live version sucks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Codex is awesome

Amnesiac > Kid A

Decks Dark is the best track on AMSP; Identikit is the worst

Climbing up the Walls is the best track on OKC

A Wolf at the Door is massively overrated

In Limbo is massively underrated 

Radiohead’s peak as a band was In Rainbows: From the Basement

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Limbo said:

Codex is awesome

Amnesiac > Kid A

Decks Dark is the best track on AMSP; Identikit is the worst

Climbing up the Walls is the best track on OKC

A Wolf at the Door is massively overrated

In Limbo is massively underrated 

Radiohead’s peak as a band was In Rainbows: From the Basement

 

 

 

Radiohead's peak was obviously Kid A/Amnesiac and all the great Amnesiac b-sides.  Amnesiac is a b-side album.  They recorded the most songs and best quality songs during this period.  Then they did In Rainbows and In Rainbows disc 2 which was very quality.  

 

Wolf is getting some love because it hasn't been played in a while.  It is not overrated.  It's great.  

 

In Limbo is indeed underrated.  

 

Codex is indeed awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Another one of mine is that they chose a horrible tracklist for Amnesiac.  They had so many other songs to replace pulk, Morning Bell/Amnesiac, Hunting Bears but they didn't.  If they did put in lets say Cuttooth, Kinetic, Orgy and Fog then it would have been top tier Radiohead.  

Edited by booger bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning Bell/Amnesiac is essential. It's the link between Kid A and Amnesiac - both in the literal sense that they were recorded together, but also in that Amnesiac's themes of remembering and recovering.

It's also a lovely song. I adore the papery textures, the dismal sleigh bells, and the grumbly organ synth, and the way it somehow all turns out floaty and pretty at the end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Duff said:

Morning Bell/Amnesiac is essential. It's the link between Kid A and Amnesiac - both in the literal sense that they were recorded together, but also in that Amnesiac's themes of remembering and recovering.

It's also a lovely song. I adore the papery textures, the dismal sleigh bells, and the grumbly organ synth, and the way it somehow all turns out floaty and pretty at the end.

My girl calls it No Surprises Bell.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Grunthos The Flatulent said:

This is the controversial opinions thread, not the fake news thread. 

We all know it was Albert Hammond Jr. 

Oh shit. You're right. Actually I remember watching this on an episode of MythBusters.

That part when they tried to get an interview with Thom, but he only wanted to do it on Skype ? I was in stitches laughing to the nines, because Thom ended up sending them a fake camgirl username instead.

I actually have a poster of the camgirl's tits on my wall. Such a memorable episode!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, devilhood said:

Oh shit. You're right. Actually I remember watching this on an episode of MythBusters.

That part when they tried to get an interview with Thom, but he only wanted to do it on Skype ? I was in stitches laughing to the nines, because Thom ended up sending them a fake camgirl username instead.

I actually have a poster of the camgirl's tits on my wall. Such a memorable episode!

Can we just get Shadow Light Master back? He was somehow a bit less awful than this guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chewbacca said:

Can we just get Shadow Light Master back? He was somehow a bit less awful than this guy


 Tomoko Gets Stoned 

When her brother's friends come over, Tomoko steals their weed to become popular! When her mom busts her, she forces her to run errands while stoned. How will Tomoko survive her excursion into the city? Will she make an unexpected friend in the process?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, section 917 said:


 Tomoko Gets Stoned 

When her brother's friends come over, Tomoko steals their weed to become popular! When her mom busts her, she forces her to run errands while stoned. How will Tomoko survive her excursion into the city? Will she make an unexpected friend in the process? 

Okay I take it back but I don't like that other guy either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chewbacca said:

Can we just get Shadow Light Master back? He was somehow a bit less awful than this guy

It's not Paul.  It's some awful sad person from the Annex who wants to troll this board.  The Annex is terrible and full of pathetic people.  You can tell by the amount of them that took prominent older Atease boarder names just to troll this board. 

 

They will most likely quote this on their board too and I hope they do.  You are sad and pathetic.  You are fucking pathetic and you know it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Duff said:

I don't think so. The title Kid A has a feeling to it. The simplicity of it, the staccato rhythm, the informality of the word "kid" juxtaposed with the clinical-ness of the labelling A (as if this was the first of the children, so speak)... it's suggestive of something - a birth - an experiment - fuck knows what.

Same goes for the title Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors, which on the face of it is weird to the max, but has a weird logic to it. I mean, the lyrics are just Thom listing kinds of doors (apparently lifted from a kids' book) over a shambling abstract electronic noise - the typo in the title is evocative of that clattering, malfunctioning, spinning sound, so there you go, the two main elements of the song are perfectly represented.

Whereas "Decks Dark", I can't squeeze anything out of that stone.

I was referring more to lyrics than titles. "We've got heads on sticks / and you've got ventriloquists" is just nonsense.

I love the lyrics to Pulk.

As for Decks Dark, I think there is validity to the theory that they finagled the title a bit to make it alphabetical. "Dark Decks" makes more sense - you could think of it like being dealt a ominous/unfortunate deck of cards in life, which is what the lyrics point to - but if they had gone with "Dark Decks" it would have alphabetically been sequenced before Daydreaming. So they flipped the words to make sure Daydreaming came first, because it worked better in the sequence. I also think this is why they chose to go with the title "The Numbers" over the more evocative (and better) title, "Silent Spring."

As to why they chose an alphabetical sequence for AMSP, and why they felt compelled enough to change song titles to fit that gimmick, I'm not sure.

Edited by hysterical.useless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't buy the theory that they renamed songs to fit them into alphabetical order. Jonny said in an interview they just tried the songs in alphabetical order once and, coincidentally, liked the result - so it was done because they liked the order, not because of whatever effect thought it created.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, chewbacca said:

Can we just get Shadow Light Master back? He was somehow a bit less awful than this guy

Can we just write drivel with zero creativity? Oh wait, you're the perfect candidate!

 

 

Suckerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :classic_ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, booger bear said:

It's not Paul.  It's some awful sad person from the Annex who wants to troll this board.  The Annex is terrible and full of pathetic people.  You can tell by the amount of them that took prominent older Atease boarder names just to troll this board. 

 

They will most likely quote this on their board too and I hope they do.  You are sad and pathetic.  You are fucking pathetic and you know it.  

Who the F is Paul? I just put all of this into Google translate and you wouldn't believe what came up.

"Please could you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Man of War is absolutely mediocre and always was. It's the way all the energy drops with every "the worms... will come... for you!" bit. It's disappointing every time, especially when it's repeated - "what, this bit again?" Bland, bland, bland.

The production on the studio version is also lacking in some way I can't put my finger on. It sounds thin and watery, too polished, when it should have had guts and swagger. I wonder if their hearts were really in it, or if it was a rush job when they were offered the Spectre gig.

The main riff's boring as well. Ooh, play a squiggly thing and just move the bottom note up and down, been done to death.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with your second paragraph. Not a good studio effort.

 

Also, Big Boots is a much better title than Man of War.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still can't believe they took out the "nasty surprise" lyric..I can't unhear it when I listen to the "new" version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They took away the unique exuberant magic that existed in Lift; certainly the magic that made them think "Oh crap we have another potential Creep on our hands". The song is still good, but it drags a lot more. The production is very dry. I can't help but fall in love with the 96 performances every single time I see them on YT. It's funny that they internally hyped up a song, gave it a level of grandiosity so high it meant they preferred to avoid it. Thom or Ed's opinion? I know they mentioned something along these lines recently, and that's why we're lucky to have this modern rendition of the song. I just wish it was pulled out of the archive like I Promise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Kid A" is one of the best songs off the album and possibly one of their best songs period.

Skirting on the Surface and Cut a Hole are both better songs than Follow Me Around.

Reckoner is a great song but is not one of the best off IR.

Some of Thom's solo stuff rivals RH in quality for me occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×