pleasekeepmoving

Controversial opinions thread

Time to shit on each other's opinions! Only genuine unpopular opinions allowed, this isn't Reddit.

• Desert Island Disk is the best song on AMSP, Present Tense is probably the worst.
  • I Might Be Wrong should have ended on that guitar chord around 4 minutes in - the last minute is completely unnecessary.
  • Scatterbrain is a really dull, generic, unimaginative song.
  • 2016 was their worst year for live performance. It was kinda sad.
  • Sit Down. Stand Up is the second-best Radiohead song of all time.

Explain your opinions or have them ignored forever.

Posted (edited)

Wow, those are really bad. I do love Desert Island Disk, and you kind of have a point about 2016 (I think 2009 was the worst), but all those others...

Unpopular opinion: Let Down and The Tourist are probably the most overrated songs in Radiohead's catalogue. They're very nice tunes, but that's it. I can think of 10 or 15 better songs to close a RH show that The Tourist.

Edited by Twist
  • Like 1

I'll justify my opinions:

Desert Island Disk just conveys that rainy seaside feel so well. It's one of if not the most atmospheric Radiohead songs ever written. Thom's guitar playing is pretty technically impressive as well, it's a shame they can't pull it off live that well though. AMSP is a great album front-to-back so Present Tense isn't bad per se, it's just very inconsequential and has a pretty bland guitar lead.

I think I Might Be Wrong could have been close to a perfect song if it didn't continue past the four minute mark. That bridge is really jarring and breaks the hypnotic feeling of the song.

As for Scatterbrain, it's just a song I really don't like. There's no dynamic contrast whatsoever and it features another really bland guitar melody. It lets down HTTT for me (I know there are a couple of ateasers who won't be happy about this :classic_smile:)

2016 really wasn't a great year for their live performances. Thom's voice was particularly bad, they hadn't really worked out the arrangements of many of the AMSP songs yet (Burn The Witch, Desert Island Disk et al.) and the old stuff sounded uninspired. It did give us that arrangement of Talk Show Host, though, so it can't be all bad.

Sit Down. Stand Up is musical perfection and no-one can convince me otherwise.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, pleasekeepmoving said:

I'll justify my opinions:

Desert Island Disk just conveys that rainy seaside feel so well. It's one of if not the most atmospheric Radiohead songs ever written. Thom's guitar playing is pretty technically impressive as well, it's a shame they can't pull it off live that well though. AMSP is a great album front-to-back so Present Tense isn't bad per se, it's just very inconsequential and has a pretty bland guitar lead.

I think I Might Be Wrong could have been close to a perfect song if it didn't continue past the four minute mark. That bridge is really jarring and breaks the hypnotic feeling of the song.

As for Scatterbrain, it's just a song I really don't like. There's no dynamic contrast whatsoever and it features another really bland guitar melody. It lets down HTTT for me (I know there are a couple of ateasers who won't be happy about this :classic_smile:)

2016 really wasn't a great year for their live performances. Thom's voice was particularly bad, they hadn't really worked out the arrangements of many of the AMSP songs yet (Burn The Witch, Desert Island Disk et al.) and the old stuff sounded uninspired. It did give us that arrangement of Talk Show Host, though, so it can't be all bad.

I can agree with you on the 2016 performances, to an extent. Thom's voice during the climax of Exit Music at NOS Alive Festival sounded incredibly nasally. Compare that vocal performance back to the one's in 1997-2001 and it's a step down in quality for sure ?. Although he seems to be knocking Exit Music out of the park recently so it's not all bad.

Here's some of my unpopular(?) opinions:

-All I Need is overrated and the climax is very underwhelming. The piano and vocals in the outro honestly seem a bit quiet. Maybe I'm just bad at noticing musical nuances.

-IDENTIKIT IS OVERRATED. The 2012 version sounds *okay*. Thom's vocals on AMSP sound like that Reggie Watts parody of Radiohead. When performed live, it's completely average; bland; forgettable. That grunting stuff Thom does when they do it live makes it sound like a shred performance. Of all the songs from AMSP they could play live and they chose this... 

(although I will admit that the transition from Glass Eyes is very smooth and works well)

-I'm not entirely sure if this is unpopular, but Tinker Tailor is underrated and they should play it live way more often. It's the darkest Radiohead has sounded since Amnesiac. The dissonant string outro is one of the best moments on AMSP. I'd rather hear Tinker Tailor live then Identikit, The Numbers and Decks Dark.

-Treefingers is one of the best things they've ever done and I'd love for them to make more ambient instrumental music. If I had to pick a song that perfectly captured the overall themes of Kid A, I might pick Treefingers.

-Feral is one of their best live songs. 

-Ed needs to tune his fucking guitar for when they play Bloom live.

-Nose Grows Some is awesome.

-Idioteque sounds way better on the album than it does live. I guess it's a bit unfair to compare the studio and live versions because they probably can't recreate the ambient sounds from the studio version live.

-Lurgee, Blow Out, and Bishop's Robes are some of their best songs.

-Supercollider is also one of the best things they've ever made, and they absolutely need to bring it back live.

-Faust Arp is underrated and one of my favourites off In Rainbows.

/Reddit is a pretty decent forum for Radiohead related fan topics. Love how the same questions are asked hourly Incase you missed the last 30 times it’s was asked in the last 15 mins. All the fan art and spooky  weird personal over reacting to Radiohead’s music. 

And you can post your Radiohead collection of 2 cds from Walmart and get plenty of upvotes and than share your 1993 tour t shirt that Thom signed and get down voted cause some 15 year old thinks it’s a fake. 

• Haha 4

Radiohead were fucking mental not to release I Promise as a b-side in the OKC era. It's not a particularly good song, but it's about as good as it could ever going to be; the arrangement and production serve it perfectly, and it's no less boring than - here comes the controversial bit - all the other OKC B-sides.

People are too easily seduced by "passion" and "performance" over the miracles of editing and artifice. They listen to the White Cassette version of Motion Picture Soundtrack and confuse a man with a nice voice emoting over a piano with a finished product. Radiohead would never have got anywhere if they'd stuck with that approach.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pleasekeepmoving said:

It's HTTT at its rawest - old-school modular beats, repetitive lyrics, "slap a mad effect on a piano and call it a day" - it sounds like it was made in a hurry. So that makes it interesting.

But it's also scrappy and underdeveloped. HTTT is definitely the album where they came close to self-parody, especially lyrically, and Sit Down is the tip of the pickaxe there. It would be an easy cut.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Duff said:

People are too easily seduced by "passion" and "performance" over the miracles of editing and artifice. They listen to the White Cassette version of Motion Picture Soundtrack and confuse a man with a nice voice emoting over a piano with a finished product. Radiohead would never have got anywhere if they'd stuck with that approach.

The white cassette MPS ripped me to pieces. Much like the brass line funeral version. I agree it would not work on Kida. But it is much better than the carnival swirl for the raw emotion of it. 

Now for my real opinions. 

PH isn’t as bad of album as it is looking back on. While I agree the production isn’t as good as it could have been, it’s not Nevermind 90s great but it isn’t terrible. Watch the Astoria DVD for what the PH era was really like for those that went to live shows. 

Scatterbrain and HoC are the worse Radiohead songs written shy of PH demo and b sides. 

Radiohead is much better live than their studio albums, the only album that comes close to getting live Radiohead is OKC, which is why it’s their best album. 

Radiohead could have produced 3 lost albums. 1. B sides between the bends and OKC were better than much of the 90s crap albums. 2. There was enough album material to make a follow up to OKC. 3. The left overs and sound checked material from IR could have made another guitar album before TKOL. 

What's with all this Scatterbrain hate? Y'all a fucking insane. It's the most fun song to play on guitar—especially the end section!

• Like 3

- Radiohead should draw Bloom out to seven or eight minutes so that we don't have to rush to the latrines. 

- The screechy effect at the end of Karma Police kind of ruins the song. 

- Spectre is not a great song and the producers of James Bond were right to pick something else. 

- All attempts at re-drawing the tracklist for HTTT are futile because there simply aren't enough good songs for even a truncated album. 

Forgot to include in mine how bad bloom now is live. Bloom into the numbers for main set is an intermission for a beer and bathroom run. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hysterical.useless said:

There are so many bad opinions in this thread. But at least they're all in the right place.

25 minutes ago, MarkGrace said:

Quoting without adding anything should be bannable.

Posted (edited)

imagine even bothering to ban someone from this zombie board :classic_laugh: also bring back the old :lol: jesus christ this one sucks

Edited by dizzee satchel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dizzee satchel said:

imagine even bothering to ban someone from this zombie board :classic_laugh: also bring back the old :lol: jesus christ this one sucks

Boring post.

Content:

A Moon Shaped Pool is an absolutely terrible title.

So... a round pool. Is what you're saying there, Radiohead. A round pool.

2 hours ago, Duff said:

Content:

A Moon Shaped Pool is an absolutely terrible title.

So... a round pool. Is what you're saying there, Radiohead. A round pool.

It also contains some awful song titles too. Ful Stop? Why drop the 'The' in Present Tense? And Decks Dark, what the hell is that? Also, Silent Spring >>> The Numbers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Twist said:

It also contains some awful song titles too. Ful Stop? Why drop the 'The' in Present Tense? And Decks Dark, what the hell is that? Also, Silent Spring >>> The Numbers.

I think Thom, in recent years, has written words that border on the actually bonkers. Stuff like the Identikit backing lyrics ("a moon shaped pool dancing clothes won't let me in and now I know it's never gonna be me") or titles like Stuff like What The Eyeballs Did or, yes, Decks Dark - they have a true ring of improvised randomness to them but without any intriguing emotional connotation. They're just sort of... dead and senseless.

It's the polar opposite of his other bad habit, ie just using cliches (Before Your Very Eyes).

18 minutes ago, Duff said:

they have a true ring of improvised randomness to them but without any intriguing emotional connotation. They're just sort of... dead and senseless.

He's always been that way though. Well, at least since Kid A.

Exhibit A: my favorite Radiohead song, "Kid A"