hysterical.useless

This Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread - Radiohead Edition

3 hours ago, thanasiskar said:

I started that thread on reddit. We are not sure if this is a new Radiohead documentary but there is a suspicion because all the other music documentaries of this festival are new or from the last 2 years. And also because they have not share more info about this by now. Maybe the band is planning a surprising anouncement in a few days. We 'll see.

It certainly make sense!!  I think if this festival would be an early premiere of the film, with later appearances and its release happening some months later, they would not have announced anything yet! 

And, I would say, even if the film this festival is showing turns out to be MPIE; there still could be something new on the way in the future: the Radiohead.tv page has still not added any concerts from 2018.

During the "if you are on the top" verse in Bangers and Mash, Thom sounds extraordinarily like Yakko from the Animaniacs.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

I started writing one of those 33 1/3rd books about HTTT a few years ago. It was going to be awesome - I'm a writer by trade, and I've no shortage of brilliant opinions about Radiohead, which is why all my posts are so incredible. But I started feeling a bit embarrassed about the thought of being someone who'd written a book about Radiohead, and I shelved it.

• Like 1

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-red-hot-chili-peppers-egypt-20190131-story.html

I am not sure whether the longtime concept on atease (trying to remember the thread title, it was a bit complex!) is something that Radiohead will actually do, but, the ideas in this article make it seem a bit closer to being possible.  Also i guess if Flea really finds it to have been good, he and Thom and Nigel will talk about it at some point.

Even at this concert it is possible that some sort of solo version of Pyramid Song on guitar may happen! 

Now, I don't think the sole original inspiration for the atease thread was necessarily specifically that it would be quite astonishing to one day bring those two, the song and unusual ancient artwork, together, but it is quite a compelling aspect of it! 

Perhaps having a concert or two there during a tour in 2021 that would include many Amnesiac songs would be a bit "on the nose", but there isn't a nose there on which to be! 

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, duassences.

2 hours ago, Duff said:

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, duassences.

They're going to play Pyramid Song at The Pyramids is what I Sphinx Mossy was trying to say.

A rare cool thing from Reddit. Someone found something new hidden in Karma Police.

I found out that the little blurb at the end of the chorus going into the outro (0:40 - 0:47) was thom singing Hes like a detuned radio (along with the whole band) but reversed and sped up using a tape machine. I have provided a sound cloud link below to describe what i did to figure this out:

Link

First clip: This was just a reference from where the noise is located in the track. You can only hear the last part of it in the actual song because the other half wasn't included.

Second clip: The origin of that noise is from the track off of the OKNOTOK Cassette called: Karma Police in Space Echo (If you ever wondered why the end of Karma Police sounds so weird its because Thoms voice and guitar was put through alot of echo) anyway, the noise plays at the beginning of the track and that's what I've sampled and put in the track.

Third Clip: I reversed the clip so it would play forwards correctly. You can make out the words detuned radio but they are really high pitched. However, you notice that the end of the clip slows down and modulates a bit. This makes me suspect that they used a tape machine to reverse it and vary the speed of the audio to produce this effect

Fourth/Fifth Clip: I pitched shifted the audio clip down a lot to make it easier to hear detuned radio. This is where i noticed that either they actually used that section from the studio version of the song or another take of it. I provided the portion of the song where Thom sings detuned radio just for some context!

After Figuring this out I am amazed on how they put so much effort into a blurb in song that is only audible for a few seconds. I dont think I could ever be this in meticulous my own music. Props to the boys for making music that still amazes me 22 years from when it was released! I should probably continue doing my homework now...

TL;DR: The backwards vocal during the fill from the chorus to the outro is actual the "hes like a detuned radio" part sped up and reversed.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

I dont think I could ever be this in meticulous my own music.

Speak for yourself.

Well, in fairness, he is, but Radiohead are not the only artists who do this sort of thing, which he somewhat implies.

4 hours ago, Duff said:

What is this? Sounds intriguing but now "unavailable".

The first 10 minutes cover Radiohead's career before Kid A.   The podcaster is a huge Radiohead fan with Kid A his favorite album of all time.  Next 20 minutes are about the recording of the National Anthem.  They did 6 to 8 takes.  Thom said he wanted it to sound like traffic.  He said that the track sounded finished except for their contribution.  Essentially nothing amazing except that Thom might have broken his foot bouncing up in down barefoot trying to get them to get in the vibe.  Thom took control as a conductor but not really a conductor in the true sense.  He felt that Radiohead was very satisfied with the result.  Jonny and Colin were quiet.  Radiohead fed them lasagna and lots of wine afterward.  He said it was like hanging out with old friends.  He played again with them for SNL the day before he got food poisoning in England.  He was a fan of the band with OK Computer.  The rest is about his own career recording with Beyonce and Oasis.  Overall, he said our boys are good guys with his experience compared to other artists.  

Edited by booger bear