Sign in to follow this  
hysterical.useless

This Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread - Radiohead Edition

they shouldn't have tried to tinker with tinker!

just end it properly!

take out that fucking SOUND!

gah!

I'm about 45 minutes into the podcast. Good stuff so far. Somehow I didn't know or forgot about the Killer Cars (Mogadon) connection to Planet Telex.

Edit: Yeah, pretty good pod. Not a ton of info that will be new to anyone here and I disagree with a fair amount of his opinions, but it's still nice to hear some fellow obsessives go through the discography in detail. 

Edited by PackofSandwiches
  • Like 2

Yeah, I thought it was good. As a superfan I would have liked them to dive even deeper, but I think this was adequately deep for a show catering to non-fans and superfans alike.

I didn't know that "True Love Waits" was originally written about the obsessive Japanese fandom.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:52 PM, hysterical.useless said:

I didn't know that "True Love Waits" was originally written about the obsessive Japanese fandom.

I'm not convinced he's right on that one. VPC has a lot of really good info but he can never provide sources for anything - including for that claim (I asked) - and sometimes I think he's just a bit confused. He's been completely wrong on a few points before.

Not to knock him, of course. His is a Great Radiohead Mind.

Edited by Duff

I'm 24 minutes into the podcast now, and thought "man, this is moving kid of slow." I didn't see that it was over three hours when I started it. JFC, I don't think even I could talk about RH for 3 hours. Definitely won't be listening to all of this in one sitting.

On 11/27/2018 at 10:49 PM, Duff said:

I'm not convinced he's right on that one. VPC has a lot of really good info but he can never provide sources for anything - including for that claim (I asked) - and sometimes I think he's just a bit confused. He's been completely wrong on a few points before.

Not to knock him, of course. His is a Great Radiohead Mind.

I've heard him make references to having met the band and conversed with them on some points, but yeah, it's sometimes difficult to know when he's making a conjecture. Like what he says about "House of Cards" - I've only ever heard him say it's about the novel The Ice Storm, but he says it like it's a confirmed thing (maybe it is; I don't recall Thom talking about it).

Speaking of VPC, I was recently chatting with him and he sent me this version of "True Love Waits" which I had never heard before and is truly remarkable - the closest thing I've ever heard to a OKC-era studio take of this track. I'll let you guys guess where it comes from. :classic_happy:

True Love Waits.mp3

Edited by hysterical.useless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is this made by that guy Devilhood? Drums don't sound quite right and it's all a bit too busy for me to think it's a live bootleg. It sounds like the IMBW:LR  Thom solo version with everything else added on. It's pretty good though.

Edited by PackofSandwiches
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hysterical.useless said:

this version of "True Love Waits" which I had never heard before and is truly remarkable - the closest thing I've ever heard to a OKC-era studio take of this track. I'll let you guys guess where it comes from. :classic_happy:

Also interesting to compare with the White Cassette OKNOTOK version of TLW.  (Just did.)  I can't identify the source from a single listen.  I don't think it's from Devilhood though IMBW 

• Like 1

That True Love Waits is just an old fan edit and it makes me cringe to the max. It's the most obvious, literal-minded, unimaginative rendering of the song, the kind of thing that Radiohead have made a career of not doing.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hysterical.useless said:

I've heard him make references to having met the band and conversed with them on some points, but yeah, it's sometimes difficult to know when he's making a conjecture. Like what he says about "House of Cards" - I've only ever heard him say it's about the novel The Ice Storm, but he says it like it's a confirmed thing (maybe it is; I don't recall Thom talking about it).

I asked him about that recently too, and he says Thom confirmed it in an interview. No amount of searching can produce this interview though. It's definitely possible it exists, but I've caught VPC misremembering stuff or sometimes just being outright wrong on a couple of recent occasions...

3 hours ago, Duff said:

That True Love Waits is just an old fan edit and it makes me cringe to the max. It's the most obvious, literal-minded, unimaginative rendering of the song, the kind of thing that Radiohead have made a career of not doing.

According to VPC, the edit was a collab between himself and another old atease member. I wasn’t aware that it was on YouTube all this time - ha. And here I thought I was sharing some ultra-rare thing. :classic_sleep:

I think you’re being too harsh in your critique, but I do think the straightforward-ness of this kind of take is the reason they didn’t end up recording it during that era. Similar to “Lift” in that regard. For the record, I adore the AMSP version and it’s still my favorite of all the TLW recordings, but barring an actual studio outtake from the OKC era I think this is the best take on the old TLW.

VPC also said that the band has heard this version and love it, though gave no context beyond this. A running trend. :classic_laugh:

13 hours ago, Duff said:

Pretty sure Devilhood did that and I thought it was a pretty good cover of what the song was going to sound like in 95 when it was first played.  Devilhood would have to confirm that esoteric collaborated with him on that remake cuz I hope he isn't trying to steal Paul's thunder on this claim.  

Edited by booger bear

That Radiohead didn't perform Twisted Words for the TKOL Basement session is the biggest Radiohead tragedy of all.

• Like 1

The second biggest tragedy is that 4 Minute Warning is four minutes and four seconds long.

It begins with a big lovely wash of synth noise, of which four seconds could easily be edited. What a shame. It could have been a good song.