Sign in to follow this  
hysterical.useless

This Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread - Radiohead Edition

23 hours ago, Grunthos The Flatulent said:

They're both the third tracks on their respective albums but that's where the similarities end AFAIC.

There is context for section 917's post which is, i wrote about at the end of previous page; it was found on atease that there was a way to sync up Pulk Pull and The National Anthem which seems to reveal the possibility that it may have been an attempt at additional layers (or earlier layers) of instrumentation for The National Anthem! 

atease member Genchildren did this and posted it on soundcloud.  I didn't realize it but in trying to recreate it, it was not working at regular speed, perhaps they had slowed down Pulk Pull a bit.  I think i have made it work by doing so.

Oasis was huge in the 90s. They took the whole left by the stone roses lawsuit. Ripped off everyone’s songs and stole the Stone Roses swagger act and dress style. 

Then they blew themselves up. While Radiohead were still playing theaters and clubs, oasis were having coke infused flights backstage at arenas. The problem with oasis was just that too big too too fast too much money too much ego. They have no reason to be upset at the crawl that Radiohead had to be playing major arenas. 

If you want to talk about how you’ll be remembered. Well one band will be seen in the same light as the Beatles, Pink Floyd and the other as a band that stole their  melodies and chord progressions and created a brief commerical success.  

INCREDIBLE TRIVIA:

The phrase "moon on a stick", which appears in Lotus Flower, originated as a catchphrase in the 90s comedy show Fist of Fun (starring Stewart Lee and Richard Herring). But I doubt it's where Thom heard it first.

Edited by Duff

3 hours ago, Duff said:

INCREDIBLE TRIVIA:

The phrase "moon on a stick", which appears in Lotus Flower, originated as a catchphrase in the 90s comedy show Fist of Fun (starring Stewart Lee and Richard Herring). But I doubt it's where Thom heard it first.

The dude from daily mail podcast had this whole moon on a stick theory that took like 20 mins to explain and than some British fan emailed them about well it’s a british saying that was a punch line from a tv show. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MarkGrace said:

I've always heard "moon upon a stick."

That's what he sings.

Sorta on topic, is anyone else not really a huge fan of the Daily Mail podcast? I feel like they read wayyyyy too much into Thom's lyrics. I've come up with a drinking game: listen to the Kid Amnesiac podcasts and take a shot every time they say the word "trauma".

Neither of them seem to be musically literate, either, which is a shame because I would love a podcast that focuses a lot more on the music.

3 hours ago, pleasekeepmoving said:

Sorta on topic, is anyone else not really a huge fan of the Daily Mail podcast? I feel like they read wayyyyy too much into Thom's lyrics. I've come up with a drinking game: listen to the Kid Amnesiac podcasts and take a shot every time they say the word "trauma".

Neither of them seem to be musically literate, either, which is a shame because I would love a podcast that focuses a lot more on the music.

I haven't bothered with it. In my imagination it's a cocktail of nerd fawning and bad lyrical readings (as you suggest there).

What would make an interesting podcast would be a bunch of musically literate people who disagree strongly on Radiohead songs all arguing about the pros and cons of everything with some passion and intelligence. You need people to say "no, this sucks" as well as "Radiohead are geniuses" for interesting discussions to take place. (This is one of several dozen reasons why r/Radiohead is so godawful.)

Edited by Duff

7 hours ago, Duff said:

What would make an interesting podcast would be a bunch of musically literate people who disagree strongly on Radiohead songs all arguing about the pros and cons of everything with some passion and intelligence. You need people to say "no, this sucks" as well as "Radiohead are geniuses" for interesting discussions to take place. (This is one of several dozen reasons why r/Radiohead is so godawful.)

The old atease user Vice President Cheney (VPC) has a music podcast called "Political Beats" and apparently it's pretty high quality (I don't listen to podcasts, so I don't know). He and his co-host get some pretty interesting guests to come on for each show. They're launching their Radiohead episode in a week or two, and I'm half considering giving it a listen because VPC's Radiohead knowledge is bonkers. I'll post it here when it comes out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Duff said:

I haven't bothered with it. In my imagination it's a cocktail of nerd fawning and bad lyrical readings (as you suggest there).

Pretty much everything you assume it is, it is. It's basically just a whole podcast built around "WE TALK ABOUT HOW PERFECT RADIOHEAD IS AND THAT MAKES US SMART AND COOL" as far as I can tell from the couple of times I tried to tune in. It just comes across as idol worshiping, vacuous nonsense most of the time.

Edited by chernobyl2

8 hours ago, hysterical.useless said:

The old atease user Vice President Cheney (VPC) has a music podcast called "Political Beats" and apparently it's pretty high quality (I don't listen to podcasts, so I don't know). He and his co-host get some pretty interesting guests to come on for each show. 

Wait, what the fuck? That's VPC? I listened to their Pink Floyd episode a while ago.

Radiohead’s radiohead is the worst podcast out there. They are complete reddit users. 

The Daily Mail sounds like a production meeting for a really great 45 min Radiohead podcast. It’s just kinda too long and they go off topic and spend too much time on some topics. If they edited the episode better they would have something. 

• Like 1

Ill Wind is superb. OK, it recycles a few old Radiohead ideas, like the rhythm from Dollars and Cents and the ondes + ebow from Where I End and You Begin. But the middle sequence with the synthesiser modulating all over the fucking place is classic Radiohead in the best way. Sinister, funny, surprising, satisfying. The minor-to-major shifts are such a calling card of theirs and this is one of the best uses of it. Oh, that moment when it plunges down at 2:12 is chilling.

I often think that moaning about B-sides being left off albums is a rather indulgent wanky thing to do. Yes, we all love The Daily Mail but it doesn't belong on TKOL regardless of quality. But I can't fathom why Ill Wind was left off in favour of at least a few mediocre MSP tracks. It fits. It rules.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 2