Sign in to follow this  
hysterical.useless

This Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread - Radiohead Edition

In this interview, Thom says the Burn the Witch lyrics were inspired by the tabloid hysteria around paedophiles in the UK about 20 years ago, where newspapers published the names and addresses of sex offenders. Hence "we know where you live".

Lends credence to my feeling that the line "different kinds of love are possible" is a bit sinister.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:44 AM, Duff said:

In this interview, Thom says the Burn the Witch lyrics were inspired by the tabloid hysteria around paedophiles in the UK about 20 years ago, where newspapers published the names and addresses of sex offenders. Hence "we know where you live".

Lends credence to my feeling that the line "different kinds of love are possible" is a bit sinister.

Interesting. I always think of it in terms of reconciling his relationship with Rachel. Like you might no longer be in love with a person, but you can still love that person for other reasons and in another way.

4 hours ago, MarkGrace said:

Interesting. I always think of it in terms of reconciling his relationship with Rachel. Like you might no longer be in love with a person, but you can still love that person for other reasons and in another way.

One hopes that a song called "Burn the Witch" isn't about his ex-wife. Considering the finished lyrics date at least to 2007 (when Thom posted them on Dead Air Space), it's unlikely.

edit: OK, you weren't talking about the Burn the Witch. You understand my alarm. To clarify, the line "different kinds of love are possible" is unlikely to be a confession of paedophila, it's just a bit embarrassingly Namba-like to my mind. Yes, a connection to Rachel makes sense.

Edited by Duff

Isn't it neat how much the There There guitar solo sounds like manic laughter?

• Like 1

I think about it every time. The guitar solo sounds like something horrible conjured up that's gonna eat you all alive.

The absurdity of Thom singing Nobody Does it Better is why it's so good. The giggle at 1:17 is classic.

It's a real shame no one has the VHS of this knocking about. Lost to the ages. MTV has a lot of gems they need to re-air!

• Like 1

multi-cam version of the lima show, with taper audio. credits in the video.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, italo said:

multi-cam version of the lima show, with taper audio. credits in the video.

niiiiiice. stoked to be able to relive this because it for sure was the most wasted i've been at a radiohead concert and i barely remember it.

Edited by Scatterbrain

22 hours ago, In Portrait said:

Did you and Italo meet?

Nah I kinda tried but I think he was busy with work. Met some other dumbfuck Americans, though!

• Like 2

yeah, I was too busy putting the show together to actually try and meet up people. I even had to decline lunch with some long time friends from other south american countries. there was a small fan gathering the weekend before the show and some fans from abroad joined us... but other than that, there was way too much going on and my mind was racing non-stop. easily the best I've ever felt while working, of course.

Edited by italo
  • Like 1

if they keep touring, I'll keep traveling and I'll find more chances to meet some of you :flowers: ?

When I met Italo I instintively introduced myself with my atease username :classic_blink: and it felt normal at the moment 'cause he seemed to reconigze me xD

On 10/4/2018 at 2:23 PM, chernobyl2 said:

^^^^
i second this ?

It may make you and @Black Jesus happy to hear about something interesting about KID A that might be new to you!  Sometime in 2014 or close to that, in the multimedia section, a poster on atease by the name of Genchildren, revealed that Pulk/Pull can be played at the same time as The National Anthem.  It seemed like Pulk/Pull could have had its origins as a potential electronic rhythm track for The National Anthem, or otherwise that it was meant to have this parallel because they are both the third track on each album!  

Genchildren had it on their soundcloud for a year or so.  I seem to remember it was almost like just having both tracks start at the same time, and Pulk/Pull ends a bit before The National Anthem itself finishes.  I may try to recreate it and post it here or in Grunthos' thread!