Sign in to follow this  
hysterical.useless

This Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread - Radiohead Edition

On 7/25/2018 at 5:28 PM, hysterical.useless said:

Good points. Do we know if they had tried to arrange any of the TKOL material as a full band prior to the FTB sessions?

There was an interview i remember in which it was basically described that there was an earlier version of the album that may have preceded the special arranging technique.  i will check citizeninsane and see if i can find it! 

2 hours ago, duaessences as clay become said:

There was an interview i remember in which it was basically described that there was an earlier version of the album that may have preceded the special arranging technique.  i will check citizeninsane and see if i can find it! 

Well I'll say this for this post - it's in the right thread

There's a pretty good one-hour radio show in national Catalan radio that is dedicated to a different topic in music (a band, a genre, a record label...) every day. Yesterday evening, to my surprise, the topic was post-OKC Radiohead, in an attempt to show fans that stopped listening to them after they "became weird" what they had missed. As the host went over their career path, he played (in full) and discussed Airbag, HTDC, Pyramid Song, You and Whose Army, 2+2=5, There There, 15 Step, Nude, Daydreaming and Present Tense. It was quite a treat, as the host was surprisingly knowledgeable about the band.

Link here, if anyone's interested –> http://www.ccma.cat/catradio/alacarta/el-celobert/radiohead-post-ok-computer/audio/974499/

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, hysterical.useless said:

wtf is this??

(This actually might deserve its own thread but)

My guess would be the light show board control board. All the songs they have a programmed light show ready for.  Since most of those songs have been played in the past two years. 

1 hour ago, hysterical.useless said:

That could be true, but why have lights configured for a song like “Bulletproof,” which they haven’t played in at least a decade?

Doesn’t mean they didn’t do it rehearsals and andi made a light show for it  

39 minutes ago, Robjonas said:

Doesn’t mean they didn’t do it rehearsals and andi made a light show for it  

Makes me happy they haven't forgotten my favorite track from The Bends.

7 hours ago, hysterical.useless said:

That could be true, but why have lights configured for a song like “Bulletproof,” which they haven’t played in at least a decade?

They soundchecked "Bulletproof" at a show in the 2016 tour...

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hysterical.useless said:

wtf is this??

(This actually might deserve its own thread but)

I see Daily Mail, and really wish it was played more often. I fucking love that song.

The guitar arpeggio that comes into Ful Stop at about 3:40 is one of the most ingenious things Jonny ever came up with. It's in 5/4, but even if you play it on isolation on guitar, it feels like it's in 4/4, just with a shifting emphasis. It's an incredibly natural bit of phasing.

• Like 1

I've been listening to a bunch of Thom's unreleased solo stuff over the past few days and have a question: why does Thom disproportionately use falsetto these days? Does this have to do with aging, or is this a stylistic choice of his (or both)? I'm not a singer, so I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Autechre on turning down an invitation to tour with Radiohead (not sure when):

we didn't want to play in stadiums to radiohead fans really. just seemed a bit superfluous

i dunno i mean they were good at writing songs and then they got into our stuff and their stuff didn't seem to improve much, i thought they would take it off in some mad direction but the critics bit hard, everyone around them got upset and they retreated. whatever

Proposal for an improved AMSP tracklist:

01	Daydreaming
02	Dark Decks
03	Desert Island Disk
04	Full Stop
05	Silent Spring
06	Burn The Witch
07	The Present Tense
08	Ill Wind
09	Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor…
10	True Love Waits

Posted (edited)

The first order of business, when rearranging AMSP,  would be to remove at least The Numbers or Desert Island Disk, as they are the same song.

You can't open with Daydreaming. It's like walking in mid-conversation.

Burn the Witch sounds mad if you put anything at all before it - it's a self-important peacock of a song, and needs to be placed at the head of the table.

But congrats on binning Glass Eyes and adding Ill Wind. Ill Wind is stronger than at least three tracks that made it onto the final album. It does perverted things with chord progressions. Some odd phrasing from Thom though.

Edited by Duff

Revisiting Ultraista. Half of it's forgettable, but the good stuff is special. It makes it plain how critical Nigel is to the Radiohead sound - the drum production in particular is basically TKOL. The editing on the drums on Bad Insect is astounding.

Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2018 at 1:02 PM, hysterical.useless said:

I've been listening to a bunch of Thom's unreleased solo stuff over the past few days and have a question: why does Thom disproportionately use falsetto these days? Does this have to do with aging, or is this a stylistic choice of his (or both)? I'm not a singer, so I'm not sure.

I think it has to do with a combination of factors.

Firstly, falsetto does not require the full use of his vocal chords, so it acts as a convenient rest period in songs. I believe he uses it strategically to be kinder to his voice, especially if you consider just how demanding some songs are, and how much of an expectation there is to hear him bash out the "hits" [I hate using that word but it is totally applicable] out of the park with his full-range upper register.

Age is less of a factor when compared to actual damage caused by over use, singing whilst you have a throat cold etc. It's surprisingly easy to cause long lasting damage to your voice through improper use. Smoking is one of the worst things a singer can do aside from not resting enough, because it causes polyps to form creating hoarseness. I'm guessing he is also trying to develop his falsetto to have similar power and sound to his head voice. Random thought, I wonder how much of an influence Neil Young had. I think Thom said he first heard of him when he was 16?

The male singing voice usually improves with age. I think a good example would be Morrissey, who's voice has definitely thickened and become a lot more tonally interesting and appealing. Thom's voice has a lot more richness to it now, don't you think?

I'd personally consider Thom to be a tenor, but there seems to be some argument that maybe he could be a high baritone. This is just a reflection of the octaves he naturally uses in each song, but the classification might be wrong. I have been classed as a tenor, but it feels more natural to sing a little bit lower than Thom.

I've had this conversation with other singers before and most people seem to think his voice is too thin to be considered a baritone. He is truly a lucky cat, because his falsetto is smooth as silk and absolutely beautiful. Typically, the lower your voice, the thicker and silkier sounding your falsetto is.

Anyways, that was a great question and one that I have been pondering on for a little while now.

Edited by devilhood
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When Thom Yorke was 16, he sent a demo of one of his earliest recordings into a music magazine. “They said, ‘This guy sounds like Neil Young,'” Yorke told the BBC in 2008. “I was like, ‘Who is Neil Young?'” He went out to a record store and picked up After The Gold Rush. “I immediately fell in love with his music,” said Yorke. “He has that soft vibrato that nobody else has. More than that, it was his attitude toward the way he laid songs down. It’s always about laying down whatever is in your head at the time and staying completely true to that, no matter what it is.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/flashback-radiohead-cover-neil-youngs-on-the-beach-250240/

• Thanks 1