Sign in to follow this  
hysterical.useless

This Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread - Radiohead Edition

Snippets:

"It's all about the sound. It's emotional."

"And the great thing about being in RH is there's an appetite for making really weird noises.  And how you shoehorn those into a track.  The weirder the better."

"It's not rocket science.  Bits of gear are really important."

"Trying to be cool was more important than practicing."

"I just finished making a record myself.  16:42"

"What is the truth here, which means what are you feeling."

"Stop the brain engaging."

"It's all about servicing the song." (Talking about how you might not play on a track, and it makes you insecure and feels shit.)

"You gotta fly by the seat of your pants, otherwise you're like a jukebox." (Talking about creating loops/segments in real time on stage.)

And Ed mentions XTC.  Only 25 minutes into the listen.  (There goes my morning.) But I could listen to him ALL DAY. 

Undeniably a great musician and lovely chap but talks a right lot of bollocks.

Posted (edited)

Well, Ed probably does.  

In other news, Bryce Dessner gives a very long interview, in which I'm pretty sure he says that Thom created the piano piece and will sing as well.  48:27 So maybe Don't Fear the Light has actual words.   Then again.  

Edited by thatthere

2 hours ago, thatthere said:

Well, Ed probably does.  

In other news, Bryce Dessner gives a very long interview, in which I'm pretty sure he says that Thom created the piano piece and will sing as well.  48:27 So maybe Don't Fear the Light has actual words.   Then again.  

Holy hell Bryce Knows how to speak French?  

3 hours ago, thatthere said:

Well, Ed probably does.  

This article confirms it from January.  

https://www.stereogum.com/2029119/thom-yorke-dont-fear-the-light-classical-composition/news/

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, booger bear said:

Holy hell Bryce Knows how to speak French?  

Yep.   Although he's "based in Paris", his accent is a mix of Ohio/Brooklyn when speaking French, so it sounds like an American speaking a second language.  Which it is.  It's easier to translate than native speakers.  I was lost listening to the Labeque sisters interview.  

Edited by thatthere

Posted (edited)

From @Karin Didn't see it in other thread.  

Does Thom need like a vegan ice cream cone?  

Edited by thatthere

On 4/5/2019 at 10:35 AM, Duff said:

Speaking of people who listen to Radiohead too much, I've met OAS (the Japanese Radiohead cover band) a few times, and once after a show Starman came on the PA. I said "Oh, it's a shame about Bowie, huh," to Japanese Jonny Greenwood. He'd never heard of him.

On another occasion I asked Japanese Colin what other stuff she listened to and she said "only Radiohead".

This is the impression I've had following one of them on Twitter. They never post about anything non-Radiohead related. It's a level of obsession I've not seen in any other context.

Posted (edited)

Like Spinning Plates contains an Isaac Hayes sample

Never knew this. This is why Reddit is worth a trawl from time to time.

Along with the Miles Davis sample on Kinetic, that's two uncredited samples we know about. I wonder why they gave credit for samples on Idioteque (including one split-second sample!) but not these.

Edited by Duff

probably because they're BLACK!

racistiohead!

😠

• Like 1

Am I imagining this, or did someone mention that the old version of Identikit once contained a big key change? 

Posted (edited)

https://www.nme.com/music-interviews/ed-o-brien-solo-album-radiohead-nature-sing-interview-2019-2477408/amp

New Ed interview with the NME. Album in September or October, a tour, still looking for a label, Radiohead had a chat in January, solo projects for now, "could be next year, could be ten years' time." Standard.

What's really interesting are his quotes about nature and The King Of Limbs:

"As a musician, for me, there’s something I find completely inspiring about being in nature. It’s never really quiet.

“The first record we made solely in the countryside was ‘OK Computer’. It was [recorded] just outside Bath in a beautiful rolling valley surrounded by woodland. Very often we’d finish at midnight and go out.

“I remember one night there was a deep frost and it was a full moon and the whole countryside was lit up, those are my memories of that record, I’ve got very few memories of actually being at the coal face doing the takes.

“One of the things we always used to do if it was getting too heavy in the studio, which was 99% of the time, was go for a walk.  The city can be great, you can get inspiration from the city, but there’s something very primal and profound [about nature], it’s almost existential. What are you doing on this planet? Those are the questions you start asking.”

“Nature was big on [The King Of Limbs]. We recorded stuff in nature, but also being in nature was something from about 2007 onwards that we became aware of. I don’t want to go into too much detail because there are some very personal and private moments that had a massive effect on that record, but they’re our personal and private moments and I don’t feel at this stage comfortable with sharing them.”

Edited by forward
  • Thanks 1

“We’ve got some stuff, possibly, that we were talking about,” when it comes to music.

I guess that's...something?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, MarkGrace said:

I guess that's...something?

Since "We're recording" for them means "We'll eventually be recording", that they're, possibly, talking about music doesn't mean much. 

Edited by Olaf

3 hours ago, forward said:

https://www.nme.com/music-interviews/ed-o-brien-solo-album-radiohead-nature-sing-interview-2019-2477408/amp

New Ed interview with the NME. Album in September or October, a tour, still looking for a label, Radiohead had a chat in January, solo projects for now, "could be next year, could be ten years' time." Standard.

What's really interesting are his quotes about nature and The King Of Limbs:

Such a prissy little bitch :classic_laugh: