hysterical.useless

This Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread - Radiohead Edition

30 minutes ago, Grunthos The Flatulent said:

Most of the AMSP songs are a bit crap live, and judging by the most recent setlists I'd say the band knows it.  

Best one is probably Identikit but even that doesn't compare well with the 2012 version. 

Oh yeah. Good call. Even Ful Stop is a bit of a mess on stage.

I could see Burn the Witch, Daydreaming and Ful Stop regularly turning up in future sets.  Decks Dark I have a feeling will evolve.  It just felt like one of those songs they couldn't quite get right live yet, but over time may click.  I'd love to see Glass Eyes in some of the piano interlude spots Thom sometimes does, and would really love more TLW, but don't think that's going to happen.

They seem committed to Daydreaming live, but it's boring as fuck.

3 hours ago, Grunthos The Flatulent said:

Most of the AMSP songs are a bit crap live, and judging by the most recent setlists I'd say the band knows it.  

Best one is probably Identikit but even that doesn't compare well with the 2012 version. 

As someone lucky to enough to have heard every song on AMSP live, the only one that sucked was The Numbers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Duff said:

They seem committed to Daydreaming live, but it's boring as fuck.

You're insane

Desert Island Disc is the worst Radiohead song, The Numbers not far behind it, and the fact they got so much patronisation was er, classic Radiohead.

Present Tense had a real sense of personality to it in the early days – I love those Latitude, Atoms For Peace performances – but it got overwrought in the studio. Again. Classic Radiohead. I didn't mind the choir but I thought it lost its soul as a song that seemed very honest and straight from the heart from Thom. It could have been a bit of a funker live too but it seemed too scared to be properly jazzed up and made a mover, and too hesitant to be a simple acoustic-n-Thom ting. 

Posted (edited)

Think a lot of the AMSP tracks would work so much better in smaller intimate venues. I saw two of the 2017 shows and they were both outside and the amsp tracks were a bit dull. Seeing them in larger venues you get a larger percentage of people who don’t know their full catalogue, at the Glasgow show I heard people saying they had no idea what album ful stop was from...at this point amsp had been out a year. 

Said it before but I would kill to have them play small venues again like they last did in 2006. No more bloody festivals please. 

Edited by Fuzzyste

It's a shame they ditched BTW when they had just started to really nail the live arrangement.

Most of the 2016 performances of that song were... uhh... half baked... I'd say haha.

Actually I really like the rockin', swaggerin', HTTT-style live arrangement of Burn the Witch. It's just that Thom never sang it properly, or maybe couldn't. It's one of their best ever choruses and he slaughtered it every time.

14 hours ago, Fuzzyste said:

Think a lot of the AMSP tracks would work so much better in smaller intimate venues. I saw two of the 2017 shows and they were both outside and the amsp tracks were a bit dull. Seeing them in larger venues you get a larger percentage of people who don’t know their full catalogue, at the Glasgow show I heard people saying they had no idea what album ful stop was from...at this point amsp had been out a year. 

Said it before but I would kill to have them play small venues again like they last did in 2006. No more bloody festivals please. 

They basically exclusively played small venues in 2016.

With Radiohead songs, the first few years of touring are just the beginning!!  

I don't personally consider any of the A Moon Shaped Pool songs to have been disappointing in their concert versions, but i do think that whichever ones continue to new tours will have changed in unique ways! 

I'm very excited to eventually hear their official recordings from last year. 

There are very few RH songs I don't like.  There are even fewer that I'd say were bad, let alone "the worst."  Seeing/hearing DID and The Numbers live multiple times increased my enjoyment of those songs.  I liked them when I heard them on AMSP.   (I liked the Numbers when it was Silent Spring.  I agree with Thom's politics and don't mind that he and Bill McKibben are chummy.)  Sure they're still simple, and could be called out for eye-rolling topics and cheesy lyrics.   They are arguably not superstars.  And the Numbers has the other recent cringe lyric "wings of butterflies."  Fair point.  But the band loved to play The Numbers live.  And to my ears they both sound good, maybe not the BEST EVARRR, but ranking songs -- especially without criteria-- has always seemed useless and beside the point.  Ranking songs you'd rather hear is another story and more interesting as those lists seem to change over time.   I admit I would have preferred to hear Decks Dark more instead of DID on tour.  Both nights in Amsterdam 2016  they played DD before DID.  

On 3/30/2019 at 7:42 PM, forward said:

Desert Island Disc is the worst Radiohead song, The Numbers not far behind it, and the fact they got so much patronisation was er, classic Radiohead.

Could you explain why it's "classic RH" to play these songs?  

BTW is an amazing opener of a record.  But it still sticks out from the rest of AMSP, no?   Without the LCO, it lost a great deal played live.  And I agree that Thom never seemed vocally right in BTW live.  Some nights were better than others.  Some of his wailing in live shows (Osheaga anyone?) is embarrassing.  When he sings, Burrrrrrruuurn--urrrn, he sounds as if he's regurgitating.  

Liked the red flashing lightshow and the bands' work, but something was always missing.   Nothing missing in my living room though.  

On 3/26/2019 at 12:07 PM, thatthere said:

"On the opening day of the inquest, Mr Selway described Johnson as a someone with a sense of fun and as a consummate professional "on top of his game" - someone who quickly became a member of the band's extended touring family.

The musician said the stage collapse had a profound impact on all those involved, including the 30 other crew members who were on or around the stage when the incident happened.

He described how band members "heard a very loud sound of breaking glass, which reached a crescendo", ran to the stage and saw it had collapsed.

"The collapse has made us vulnerable where we used to feel secure," he said.

The incident has left the band and its crew members on edge about the safety when on tour.

Radiohead - in an abundance of caution - has since adjusted how it designs its stage sets to mitigate potential risks, Mr Selway said.

They have also hired a tour engineer to ensure the stage safety is always double-checked when relying on third parties to provide staging.

Mr Selway said that he hoped the inquest would allow for a full understanding of how and why the collapse happened and would issue strong recommendations to prevent something similar from ever happening again.

The band only returned to Toronto to play in 2018, and held a minute of silence for Johnson during their concert."

source

Yeah the obviously worst song is Pop is Dead.  The Numbers and DID are just fine.  Good songs in my opinion.  No Pop is Dead.  That is a Radiohead Meme since we were young.  

"Forensic analysis of the stage collapse attributed its primary cause to crushing of the pick-up trusses. The stage roof grid was not strong enough to bear the load of lights, screens and speakers, which weighed roughly 34,473 kilograms (or 76,000 pounds)."  

"[F]ormer Optex employees testified that they put the stage up despite the fact that the particular truss component called for in the design was never in the company's inventory. The drawings indicated the pick-up trusses should have been 10 feet long with a 3-inch diameter. The pick-up trusses installed in the Downsview Park stage were 7 feet long with a 1.9-inch diameter.  The inquest heard the trusses with the 3-inch diameter never existed — and other sized trusses were used for decades when the stage was constructed for dozens of events."

Not sure this helps with the loss, but it does explain what happened.  source

tbh it amazes me how few artists seem spooked by massive trusses and metal all around them when on stage.

Question one: Are there two drummers playing on Spectre? Listen to the ride cymbal from around 1:35.

Question two: If so, what's the point?

41 minutes ago, Duff said:

I think the 15 Step lighting setup cira TKOL, where it looked like they were in an office with the panels over them, was the coolest stage setup I've ever seen. Shame we'll never see that again as it's too lethal.

That was indeed an amazing setup. Gets overshadowed  too often by the In Rainbows stage (still my favourite) but it looked brilliant.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MarkGrace said:

Duff, what else do you listen to besides Radiohead?

People on other forums ask me the same thing. But about different bands.

edit: fuck it. Resisted posting this for ages because it's a bullshit bad-faith you-can't-win question. But my other obsessions include Weezer, Pink Floyd, Neutral Milk Hotel, Muse and Michael Jackson. Those aren't necessarily even my favourites, but the ones I find richest to study, often for their failings as much as their triumphs.

Edited by Duff

1 hour ago, Duff said:

People on other forums ask me the same thing. But about different bands.

edit: fuck it. Resisted posting this for ages because it's a bullshit bad-faith you-can't-win question. But my other obsessions include Weezer, Pink Floyd, Neutral Milk Hotel, Muse and Michael Jackson. Those aren't necessarily even my favourites, but the ones I find richest to study, often for their failings as much as their triumphs.

Was just curious.  Have never really seen you talk about much in the general music forums, and based on the number of random observations you make about Radiohead-related things it just sometimes feels like you must be listening to them all the time.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MarkGrace said:

Was just curious.  Have never really seen you talk about much in the general music forums, and based on the number of random observations you make about Radiohead-related things it just sometimes feels like you must be listening to them all the time.

I listen to probably seven or eight hours of music a day, headphones on, without exaggeration, and I'm a very attentive listener. That probably includes about 10% Radiohead. They're a good band imo.

General is a waste of time. Nothing is more boring to me than talking about music in general. Go specific, go deep, or go home.

If you think me posting small Radiohead observations in this thread is pushing it, think of the response I'd get for doing the same thing about a Pinkerton B-side in General. Those go somewhere else.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

Speaking of people who listen to Radiohead too much, I've met OAS (the Japanese Radiohead cover band) a few times, and once after a show Starman came on the PA. I said "Oh, it's a shame about Bowie, huh," to Japanese Jonny Greenwood. He'd never heard of him.

On another occasion I asked Japanese Colin what other stuff she listened to and she said "only Radiohead".