Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hysterical.useless

This Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread - Radiohead Edition

Recommended Posts

You know the drill.

I was reading an article on IndieWire this morning about the annual JAPAN CUTS festival in NYC and came across this blurb about the upcoming film Amiko.

Quote

“Amiko” is the kind of movie that JAPAN CUTS is all about — the kind of movie that American audiences would never get to see (or even know about) if not for the work of eagle-eyed programmers who are determined to cut through the gatekeeping of international distribution and bring us an unfiltered look at foreign indie cinema. A scattershot but deeply exciting debut from 20-year-old writer-director Yamanaka Yoko, the micro-budget “Amiko” tells the universal story of a bored schoolgirl who begins to obsesses over a boy in her class after they bond over their shared love of Radiohead (sample dialogue: “I wonder if Thom Yorke wakes up, looks in the mirror, and thinks, ‘Ah, I’m Thom Yorke again today.’”). Unfortunately for the eponymous heroine, her crush absconds to the big city, where he shacks up with Amiko’s arch-rival. Teenage frustration ensues.

Shot with a shaggy, percussive energy that vaguely recalls the rebelliousness of the French New Wave, “Amiko” is a 66-minute tizzy of aimless voiceover, drab digital cinematography, random dance sequences, and adolescent ennui (“Ordinary, poor souls could never understand the two of us,” Amiko sighs). It’s a coming-of-age story that wriggles and screams with the frustration of growing up, as Yamanaka taps into her own recent experience to crystallize that time in your life when you’ve got all the energy in the world and nowhere to put it — all the emotions you can feel but no one to answer them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there actually any bass guitar in Little by Little or what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little By Little owns.

There's bass all over the live versions. But that don't say shit about the studio version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

OK Computer/IN Rainbows playlist fits perfect as another alternate soundtrack to Wizard of OZ. Same deal as Dark Side of the Moon, start playlist precisely the split second after the third lion roar before the credits.  I'm back!  Where is Miles and Zane these days?

Edited by OK_IN_OZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OK_IN_OZ said:

OK Computer/IN Rainbows playlist fits perfect as another alternate soundtrack to Wizard of OZ. Same deal as Dark Side of the Moon, start playlist precisely the split second after the third lion roar before the credits.  I'm back!  Where is Miles and Zane these days?

Both of their old handles have been taken over by Annex users.  Same with Beachbum but I put an end to that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I know for a fact that Beachbum was not Beachbum as an Annex user messaged me the username and password.  I changed the password so that person could never use that account again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let the atease username conspiracy unfold. Thrilling. Now, take a look out of the window. Beautiful outside isn't it? ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Petition to change the title of this thread to "This Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread - AtEase MB Edition"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2018 at 6:31 PM, Crazy Disco Party said:

Someone just happened to message you the password to Beachbum's account? :classic_laugh:

It was you all along! 

 

I think it was Ira.  She's also Miles Davis.  You know she's psycho.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, musickiks said:

Huh.

So childish.  Why are you guys taking usernames away from old members?  

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity I went wandering through the unreleased tracks on Citizen Insane for the first time in a long time.

I'm willing to bet the "Fela Kuti Thing" mentioned on the blackboard during the IR sessions turned into "Feral". Fela Kuti pioneered afrobeat, and "Feral" definitely sounds like it could have been influenced by that genre. You can check out Fela Kuti's most popular song, "Zombie," for comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've wondered the same thing.

The argument against it, I suppose, is that Feral doesn't sound like a song that was "written" so much as assembled. TKOL, as we know, was essentially a giant experiment in looping and editing, and Feral sounds like the most obvious product of that way of working. In fact it sounds like the kind of thing that could only have come from that way of working. So it would surprise me if it had existed in any form before that.

I wonder if Fela Kuti Thing ended up becoming something on Amok instead - perhaps Before Your Very Eyes, for example, which has a very Afrobeat-like guitar riff.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fucking love Feral.

I love the snatch of bassline at 0:56. It sounds like it just wandered in through the wrong door and left quickly, embarrassed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet a lot of you have seen this but it is just so heartbreaking.  We like Radiohead for many reasons but the primary one is that they just hurt us but make us feel good at the same time.  

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Duff said:

I've wondered the same thing.

The argument against it, I suppose, is that Feral doesn't sound like a song that was "written" so much as assembled. TKOL, as we know, was essentially a giant experiment in looping and editing, and Feral sounds like the most obvious product of that way of working. In fact it sounds like the kind of thing that could only have come from that way of working. So it would surprise me if it had existed in any form before that.

I wonder if Fela Kuti Thing ended up becoming something on Amok instead - perhaps Before Your Very Eyes, for example, which has a very Afrobeat-like guitar riff.

Good points. Do we know if they had tried to arrange any of the TKOL material as a full band prior to the FTB sessions? I mean, we know stuff like "Lotus Flower," "Give Up the Ghost," "Daily Mail," and "Separator" were debuted live by Thom during solo shows, but do we know if there was any attempt to arrange these songs as a band prior to cutting things up in the studio? The answer to that question would indicate whether "Feral" was birthed entirely through studio experimentation, or whether attempts had been made to do a full-band arrangement early on. It's a chicken/egg question.

I can hear the afrobeat influence in "Before Your Very Eyes" - hadn't thought of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, hysterical.useless said:

Do we know if they had tried to arrange any of the TKOL material as a full band prior to the FTB sessions? I mean, we know stuff like "Lotus Flower," "Give Up the Ghost," "Daily Mail," and "Separator" were debuted live by Thom during solo shows, but do we know if there was any attempt to arrange these songs as a band prior to cutting things up in the studio? The answer to that question would indicate whether "Feral" was birthed entirely through studio experimentation, or whether attempts had been made to do a full-band arrangement early on. It's a chicken/egg question.

Lotus Flower, Give Up the Ghost, Daily Mail and Separator all have fairly conventional song structures, though. Even if we hadn't heard their earlier incarnations, it wouldn't have been difficult to imagine Thom writing them on acoustic guitar or piano first. I find that difficult to imagine with Feral. All speculation, of course.

Regarding Daily Mail, the band had worked on it for years (at least since 2006) and according to Ed the arrangement never came together until they did From the Basement. It's not like the other songs you mention there, because it was recorded as a traditional full-band performance, with little or possibly no editing.

As an aside: listening to Thom's old performance of Mouse Dog Bird (the early version of Separator), it's quite similar to The Numbers and Desert Island Disk - that acoustic guitar strumming and hammering, droning open strings. On AMSP they seemed to take a more literal approach of taking Thom's guitar parts and just adding stuff to it like drums and bass and strings - whereas on TKOL they used that as the basis to turn it into something else entirely. This is why TKOL remains so much more interesting than AMSP to me.

Edited by Duff
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this is awkward.

Can't believe this is real, but if it is how shitty of a friend do you have to be to exploit a famous friend for some money?

"Thom is a family friend, but I'm inviting anyone who will pay me $60 to this private performance - just make sure you bring some kid with you so it doesn't look conspicuous."

red.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

1. This is a hilarious joke

2. The guy is a dick and idiot because $60 is nothing.  

I'm guessing someone is being cheeky.   

Edited by booger bear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

46 minutes ago, hysterical.useless said:

Well, this is awkward.

Can't believe this is real, but if it is how shitty of a friend do you have to be to exploit a famous friend for some money?

"Thom is a family friend, but I'm inviting anyone who will pay me $60 to this private performance - just make sure you bring some kid with you so it doesn't look conspicuous."

red.PNG

Kids: "Do Three Men Went to Mow"!!!

Me (from the back) "DO TELEX"

Edited by Grunthos The Flatulent
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×